• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 10 Campi Bisenzio - Sestola 219km

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Eshnar said:
STAGE 10: Campi Bisenzio – Sestola 219 km

Stage start: 11.10 CET, 17 May

T10_Sestola_alt-PRE.jpg

5na37Cq.jpg

Technical Overview:
Extremely serious medium mountain stage, long and with lots of climbing, coming just after a rest day. Starting from Tuscany, the peloton will cross the Apennines almost from the get go, as the first climb of the day, Passo della Collina (12.7 km at 5.3%, GPM3), comes after just 22 km from the start. Following its fast descent and some km in the valley, comes the second climb, Pietracolora (8.7 km at 6.1%, GPM3). At the top there is a short false flat, and then a very technical downhill that will bring everybody down the valley again. Here, a series of irregular 3-6% slopes will bring the riders up again, from 150m to over 800m, leading into a long and very rough terrain, full of ramps and descents, featuring the two intermediate sprints of the day. At 32 km to go the final part of the stage begins, with the ascent to Pian del Falco (16.3 km at 5.2%, GPM1), whose real difficulty is due to its final 4 km, just after the town of Sestola, which average 8.9%. The descent of this climb is very difficult, and leads to the final very gentle climb back to Sestola (7.45 km at 5%, GPM3).

T10_Sestola_ukm-PRE.jpg

The Climbs:

Passo della Collina GPM3
A very, very constant climb. Will be good for the formation of a strong breakaway. Once again, no official profile. We go with Salite.ch
mR4YmXV.gif

Pietracolora GPM3
It is shorter and slightly steeper than the previous climb. That's pretty much all I can say here, because I have no profile :D

Pian del Falco GPM1
This climb is generally considered as starting from Sestola, which makes it a steep, 4 km wall. However, this year RCS includes quite a long section in the official profile, something hard to justify, but whatever. This climb became famous thanks to the victory of Fuente when it was stage finish in 1971.
T10_S01_PiandelFalco-PRE.jpg

Sestola GPM3
A long, easy drag all the way to the town.
PW_T10_S02_Sestola.jpg

What to expect:
This has the potential to be a great stage. Pian del Falco is not hard enough for a solo attack to stick, but a small selected gc group should be able to get away. The final climb will be good to increase the gap, or alternatively to favor attacks from second tiers. This will of course be a very good stage for the breakaway, if the gc guys don't bother keeping the peloton close.

sestola_alto_RuggeroBaldaccini.jpg

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I just want to see Rogla, Betancur and Cunego (hopefully he can find a decent shape) to go crazy in the mountains for the mountain jersey and stage wins for the rest of the Giro.

The GC riders can go duke it out over their precious seconds somewhere in the background, I don't care (except for CQ game related stuff).

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
How technical is the descent? Looks like Mortirolo-Aprica, medium mountain style

From the maps, there are many turns (not many U-turns though) but the roads look considerably wide (except a 2km middle section). Maybe a video of the descent should provide better insights.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
All I want is fast tempo till the base of Pian del Falco. The gaps shall happen by default (I hope) in the last 4km of the climb and in the descent

If Nibali and Fuglsang feel good after the rest day, this is the perfect stage for Astana to go full La Spezia 2015 and dish out the pain.
I don't think Etixx can control this stage thus there is a chance they lose the jersey.

The descent from Pian del Falco is technical enough to attack.

Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 10 Campi Bisenzio - Sestola 2

I fear a big borefest. Nobody has a big disadvantage so nobody will risk a lot and try a solo from Pian del Falco. Nibali wasnt super strong in the first week so I doubt Astana will go full La Spezia and since Kruswijk is still in front of Nibali they also can't just set a high pace to drop the Etixx guys to get pink, because Nibali would still only be 2nd. Best thing that could happen to us would be a big weakness by a gc contender (Landa most likely considering that he was also in troubles in stage 8) because then we would already get some decent gaps on the penultimate climb. However I doubt anyone would drop before the final 4 kilometers so even if someone has a bad day we wouldnt have action for a very long time.
Besides that we can still hope that Nibali tries an attack before the descent to get a gap. That might work but if he isnt the strongest and gets caught again he will most likely loose time, so if I was him I don't think I would try it.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

SafeBet said:
If Nibali and Fuglsang feel good after the rest day, this is the perfect stage for Astana to go full La Spezia 2015 and dish out the pain.
I don't think Etixx can control this stage thus there is a chance they lose the jersey.

The descent from Pian del Falco is technical enough to attack.
Yeah, I also have some hopes for Cannondale, they should have the firepower to make the stage hard from the start (2013 TdF style). Etixx probably don't have the firepower to control this stage, but who wants to take the jersey?

Gigs_98 said:
I fear a big borefest. Nobody has a big disadvantage so nobody will risk a lot and try a solo from Pian del Falco. Nibali wasnt super strong in the first week so I doubt Astana will go full La Spezia and since Kruswijk is still in front of Nibali they also can't just set a high pace to drop the Etixx guys to get pink, because Nibali would still only be 2nd. Best thing that could happen to us would be a big weakness by a gc contender (Landa most likely considering that he was also in troubles in stage 8) because then we would already get some decent gaps on the penultimate climb. However I doubt anyone would drop before the final 4 kilometers so even if someone has a bad day we wouldnt have action for a very long time.
Besides that we can still hope that Nibali tries an attack before the descent to get a gap. That might work but if he isnt the strongest and gets caught again he will most likely loose time, so if I was him I don't think I would try it.

Depends so much. Mostly on whether you're watching or not

Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:

:cry:
Edit: And I have holidays so you will all suffer a borefest :mad:

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:

:D

May 16, 2016
Visit site

Mayomaniac said:
Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
Landa isn't weak, he's clearly recovered and is very strong, he'll be stronger than Nibali in the mountains
:D

TRENDING THREADS