• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia, Stage 19: Pinerolo - Risoul (162 km MTF)

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The other thing to factor in for SK is that in last last 50 km, he was probably on the front in the wind for about 40 of that. Chaves and Nibali really were only in the wind for about 5 km on the descent until they hooked up with Plaza, and then the final 9 or so km on Risoul. So even though the crash may not have affect SK that much tomorrow, he made a far more massive effort.

Also factor in Lotto Jumbo pace setting was steady since they were defending the jersey. As shown many times, with Nibali so close, Astana will probably start setting a relentless pace almost from the beginning of the first mountain tomorrow. It would surprise me to see if Movistar may help a little, hoping that Sk doesn't recover from the crash to see if Valverde can make up the minute or so to him to get on the podium.

Re: Re:

Miburo said:
gatete said:
portugal11 said:
How can anyone be happy with this win?
You know, i'm feeling the same way but that is probably because Nibali is not my cup of tea. I wonder what I would feel if Alberto whom I really like was in in this position

What did you feel during the tour of 2014? That's that feeling

With a big difference that there Nibali had over 2 minutes and a half advantage, while here he was very far back with no real possibility to win it.

Today Chaves had to ride to gain time and then could not respond to Nibali's acceleration and pace.
Tomorrow he does not have to ride, that could make a difference. Still, could be too much for Chavito.
But there is hope!

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

Climbing said:
Miburo said:
gatete said:
portugal11 said:
How can anyone be happy with this win?
You know, i'm feeling the same way but that is probably because Nibali is not my cup of tea. I wonder what I would feel if Alberto whom I really like was in in this position

What did you feel during the tour of 2014? That's that feeling

With a big difference that there Nibali had over 2 minutes and a half advantage, while here he was very far back with no real possibility to win it.

I'm not going too deep into that again but imo how i've seen Contador ride for the last 10 years he was in monstershape in that tour. No way any version of nibali can hold out then.

Re:

TomasC said:
Today Chaves had to ride to gain time and then could not respond to Nibali's acceleration and pace.
Tomorrow he does not have to ride, that could make a difference. Still, could be too much for Chavito.
But there is hope!

He never set a high pace today. There is no difference between wheelsucking on stage 19 and on stage 20. Climbs tommorow are bad enough that strongest climber will win. Especially since I don't actually expect Nibali to do anything on Bonnette or the downhill. Just set a high pace by Astana and attack on the penultimate climb

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

RattaKuningas said:
I'm not buying the luck argument at all.
If a rider is trying to keep up with a person who is better at descending that him then this is a risk and it can go wrong and this isn't in this case unexpected result.

nvm, posted in wrong thread

Re:

TomasC said:
But there is hope!
But just like Chaves, Nibali worked too. He was simply stronger and if he is again stronger than Chavito tomorrow it will be very difficult for Chaves.

Tomorrow Nibali can win the race, Chaves is no so consistent for 3 weeks although tomorrow stage isvery good for him as colombian, the ame than today..

Difficult to belive that Kruisjwick could stay tomorrow at his bet level after a crash like that. if he is, he can go for the Giro, if he is not, he will lose the podium or maybe much more.

He had the race won, he didnt need to take risk following Nibali in so difficult descent, to lose a minute, not a big problem...just to follow Valverde group and attack at the end... He showed too condifent by saying he has no weak points, but he has, There are people descending better than him, and he did a mistake to pay.

Stages with Agnello are always very important, what an incredible climb !!... we can remerber when Andy won in Galibier, and how Contador accused Agnello, but tomorrow stage is even harder.

Re:

portugal11 said:
Omg, nibali was wheelsucking chavez during 3 km, after this he attacked chavez... this guy is so lucky, he won la vuelta 2010 because anton fall, he won le tour because froome and contador fall and if he wins il girl is only because SK fall

Go away you hater

Nibbles is a legend !

the GC rider with the biggest balls :D

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site

webvan said:
Domulec said:
How can Nibali be so good all of a sudden? I just don't understand cycling I guess, this is simply bizarre.

Comebacks like that don't happen too often do they...in fact over the past 30+ years I think I only saw it twice, in 2006 with Landis/TDF/doping and in 2012 with Bertie/Vuelta/Tactics.

Well, he put 50'' on Chaves and Nieve, but he was 4th overall bacause of a bad day at ITT. It's not really THAT comeback, He was just a bit better while the others where a little worse, if u put on a graph Valverde and Nibali delay forn the MR, they cross a lot in this giro, it really depends on good days and bad days, without any particular reason.

Re:

TomasC said:
But there is hope!

Nailed it - Chavez can ride conservatively tomorrow and see if he is strong enough - He burnt lots of energy in the second last climb.