• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 12: Montpellier → Mont Ventoux (178km)

Page 76 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
rzombie1988 said:
Trying to figure this out while watching the replay:

- If Phil is right and you can't go on without your bike, then Froome must be punished.
Carols said:
Maybe all riders will learn not to leave their bikes, if in future they decide to enforce the rule (if it is a rule)

Remember I'm just quoting Liggett and taking his word for it that it is a DQ offense, but he has served on race juries so certainly knows more about it than I do!

Not for the first time, Phil appears to be wrong about something. The UCI rulebook only says:

1.2.108 Unless otherwise stated, each rider shall, in order to be classified, complete the race
entirely through his own effort, without the assistance of any other person.

1.2.109 The rider may cross the finish line on foot, provided that has his bicycle with him.

(text modified on 1.01.05).

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
In the end someone is always going to be unhappy with every single decision due to the fair amount of interests there are in a race such as the Tour. That's just the way it is. Hopefully ASO learns a lesson from this, although it seems unlikely.

Re: Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
Gloin22 said:
Just add 3km rule to MTFs ffs...fixes all this ****..if Tour can't afford security and barriers what other choice is there.

If that was the case people would be having 'mechanicals' with 2km to go just as they're about to bonk on the climb. It's not a practical ruling.
Exactly. And with a bunch of rowdy and possibly drunk fans at such a close range, I could def see someone trying to alter the result on their own.

The Hitch said:
Ramira said:
TMP402 said:
Dumb fans boo Froome. Sky's charm offensive undone through no fault of their own.

Don't think it's that simple. The dumb fans who hate Froome for no reason will keep hating him, sure.

But real fans realise this wasn't his fault. And shouldn't hold the decision against him. You can hardly call for someone to act like a champion and complain when he tries to get back almost two minutes he lost through no fault of his own.
Fans who boo Froome are probably booing him for the wider fraud that he is, nothing to do with this incident. He's been booed before, that's why sky had to invent the urine narative to make the fans who boo him out to be bad

Got a link for them making up the urine story? Or are you just 'taking the p!ss?'

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

CnVpHcpWEAAGCQy.jpg

That could have been very nasty for Froome and the other two riders.

Yes maybe he panicked a bit and ran off comically up the road, but he'd just been hit by two different motorbikes and climbed out from ubnderneath a human-broken-bike pile up. What do you expect him to do?

ebandit said:
DirtyWorks said:
rzombie1988 said:

That's not the way the UCI works. Rules are not rules until they almost randomly enforce them. No one is going to penalize Froome.
i think it would be correct to say ASO would not penalise the yellow jersey....in this

situation

mollema has a point.....re if he had been the only faller.......

Mark L

Did you see that picture? Do you think that Mollema would have complained if he had been in first and Porte last, so Porte would have been on top. And he would have been given back the time to Porte? I'm sorry but it's hypocritical, and he's just annoyed he lost time he would have gained through no work of his own.

Heck if he hadn't been there there's a real chance Froome and Porte would have gotten away far sooner.

DFA123 said:
carolina said:
DirtyWorks said:
Fight.The.Power said:
spalco said:
Froome's bike had a broken fork apparently:

CnVhp7vXEAAeqMa.jpg

Posting about the photo. I'm assuming the impact was in an unusual force vector. If the layup is not designed to handle force in that vector, then it fails. This is the reason carbon isn't so great. It's nice until it breaks though!

froome was using the lighter version of the dogma F8. it can only be used by cyclists that weight less then 70 kg. it's a more fragile frame.
So he sacrificed the strength and integrity of his equipment while chasing a marginal gain. Then when said equipment fails on him, he gets ASO to adjust his time.

Based on that evidence, this decision really stinks.

Lol

Poursuivant said:
yaco said:
Gigs_98 said:
Watching the crash again, was porte just about to drop froome?

Think so - No guarantees but it sure looked that way.

No chance. How many times in this thread alone did people say things like "Froome looks bad", then he goes and drops Quintana and co.

I don't think so either, with Froome he can drop a few bikes lengths off and then ride his own tempo to catch up. To be fair he was only a bike length away too, had he been further back he may have been able to brake and avoid the pile up.

ebandit said:
DirtyWorks said:
rzombie1988 said:

That's not the way the UCI works. Rules are not rules until they almost randomly enforce them. No one is going to penalize Froome.
i think it would be correct to say ASO would not penalise the yellow jersey....in this

situation

mollema has a point.....re if he had been the only faller.......

Mark L

Ehm.. Quintana gets 7 bonies for being held up and Mollema 0.

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site

infeXio said:
Cycling1984 said:
Can someone please answer me this, why they didn't change the stage result if both porte and froome finished on the same time as Bauke Mollema?????????

Because they don't change the placings, only the time. Same thing was done at the Yates-incident.

There goes my bet on Froome to beat Quintana... :(

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Poursuivant said:
yaco said:
Gigs_98 said:
Watching the crash again, was porte just about to drop froome?

Think so - No guarantees but it sure looked that way.

No chance. How many times in this thread alone did people say things like "Froome looks bad", then he goes and drops Quintana and co.

I remember the first time I saw Froome look bad and I thought he was going to drop off just before launching a huge attack. Then i thought the same for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th etc times ...

But no longer, he hasn't fooled me for the last year at least.

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Considering the relative pace of the leading contenders at the time if the incident - Froome almost certainly would have extended his lead by more had the crash not happened - and Mollema and Porte would have made big in-roads too.

Nairo Quintana was left for dead by Froome's break.

We know Froome can cycle, now we know he can run - if his swimming is any good - a triathlon career may be calling when he's finished with cycling ?

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Re:

MountTiede said:
Considering the relative pace of the leading contenders at the time if the incident - Froome almost certainly would have extended his lead by more had the crash not happened - and Mollema and Porte would have made big in-roads too.

Nairo Quintana was left for dead by Froome's break.

We know Froome can cycle, now we know he can run - if his swimming is any good - a triathlon career may be calling when he's finished with cycling ?

Steady on there. Next we will be calling him Armstrong 2.0

TRENDING THREADS