• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Tour de France, Info & Discussion

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
What a liability Bouhanni is. The team is built around him, and what the sponsors want is stage wins at the Tour. But he just had to go and punch people in the face. Management at Cofidis must seriously consider whether this is the hothead they want their wagon hitched to.

Re:

Praying Mantis said:
What a liability Bouhanni is. The team is built around him, and what the sponsors want is stage wins at the Tour. But he just had to go and punch people in the face. Management at Cofidis must seriously consider whether this is the hothead they want their wagon hitched to.

It also makes him a cheap rider considering his talent. No way cofidis should let go of him. It's not like they'll find anyone better to replace him anyway

Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Praying Mantis said:

It also makes him a cheap rider considering his talent. No way cofidis should let go of him. It's not like they'll find anyone better to replace him anyway
Isn't Bouhanni actually on a very big salary?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who is sad Bouhanni is out, should be ashamed of themselves or maybe they hope that some GC contenders would have crashed out cause of bouhanni so their favorite rider can win it.

But surely no one is that pathetic.

classicomano said:
LaFlorecita said:
Damn, that sucks
Not really. I think the rest of the peloton is relieved now.
Completely agree. A relatively minor injury to Bouhanni, caused entirely of his own making, is significantly better than a high speed crash causing serious injuries to numerous riders. Something which, based on Bouhanni's antics - which have become even worse in the last few months - had become more of a probablity than a possibility.

classicomano said:
LaFlorecita said:
Damn, that sucks
Not really. I think the rest of the peloton is relieved now.
I like Bouhanni, he's a big talent but I wish he was less aggressive, he needs anger management therapy. But I was looking forward to seeing him win a stage at this Tour. Will have to wait till next year.

As for people saying he is too dangerous, just how many crashes has he caused in his career? Yes, there have been a few near-crashes and he sprints on the edge but that is not something unique to him.

Re: 2016 Tour de France Discussion & Info

I'm currently looking at the course and trying to figure out how it will go and how each team will play it:
Sky
There are some hilly stages near the start but none which suit Froome, so i'm not sure if Sky will play there usual blast the 1st mountain stage. For some reason i see them saving energy till Ventoux and then really going for it especially as 1st 2 mountain stages don't have Summit finishes.
Stage 9 is the 1st Summit finish and we normally see that after 3 days in the mountains the time gaps are limited.
So i doubt Sky will look to take the race up and gain time on those stages, rather choosing to save energy till the 2nd/3rd week.
I think they will be attentive to try and gain time in cross winds or if the situation arises but I don't see that much is to gain otherwise.
I think they will aim for stages 12 onwards.

Tinkoff
I think they might be more aggressive as Contador will probably loose time to Froome and Quintana in the MTFs
Again i think they will try to split the race up in cross winds early on if possible

Movistar
Defend for 1st 10 stages like they always do, then come to attack in the alps.

Astana
For some reason i think they will try and take it up in the Pyrenees, stage 7 suits Nibali and Aru.

How do you think the teams will play it?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

classicomano said:
Netserk said:
When is the last time Bouhanni caused a crash that had another rider injured?
That fact that no one got seriously injured yet is despite Bouhanni and completely thanks to the bike acrobatics of his rivals.
Exactly,its only matter of time when something happens.

Alberto chance ftw at Tour is abit higher than yesterday cuz of it :)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Oliwright said:
I'm currently looking at the course and trying to figure out how it will go and how each team will play it:
Sky
There are some hilly stages near the start but none which suit Froome, so i'm not sure if Sky will play there usual blast the 1st mountain stage. For some reason i see them saving energy till Ventoux and then really going for it especially as 1st 2 mountain stages don't have Summit finishes.
Stage 9 is the 1st Summit finish and we normally see that after 3 days in the mountains the time gaps are limited.
So i doubt Sky will look to take the race up and gain time on those stages, rather choosing to save energy till the 2nd/3rd week.
I think they will be attentive to try and gain time in cross winds or if the situation arises but I don't see that much is to gain otherwise.

Tinkoff
I think they might be more aggressive as Contador will probably loose time to Froome and Quintana in the MTFs
Again i think they will try to split the race up in cross winds early on if possible

Movistar

Astana
For some reason i think they will try and take it up in the Pyrenees, stage 7 suits Nibali and Aru.

Great point about Astana. First 2 mountains stages are suite for both Aru and Nibali.I think they might try something big. OTOH it really depends on how Aru is feeling in the 1st week (its probable that he will be at his best in the 3rd)

About Saxo it depends on how AC is feeling.I agree with Movistar.About Sky,well,I dont think they will wait ;)

classicomano said:
Netserk said:
When is the last time Bouhanni caused a crash that had another rider injured?
That fact that no one got seriously injured yet is despite Bouhanni and completely thanks to the bike acrobatics of his rivals.
When was the last time someone got 'unseriously' injured, then?

In fact, given how dangerous he is, how often does he cause other riders to simply crash? Anything goes.

He is a bigger risk to himself than anyone else. I strongly doubt he is anymore dangerous to other riders than most other sprinters.

Oliwright said:
Sky

Tinkoff

Movistar

Astana

Pretty much agree with your expectations. Nothing major in the Pyrenees, high tempo sorting out the GC, Astana probably trying on the descents from Aspin and Peyresourde, but it could be an effort to catch up with the group of favourites that dropped them earlier on the climbs.
We might see some sizing up and digs in the final kilometres of Arcalis, but no huge attacks.
Mont Ventoux is where the real mountain battle should start. Overall standings after the time trial following day will determine the way race will be ridden through the Alps. And considering the brutality of final week, I suppose GC contenders will be trying to make up time little by little. Any heroism could prove costly, and waiting for Morzine could be too late.
Fingers crossed for echelons in the opening stages and chaos to Le Lioran. That would open the Pyrenees up.

TRENDING THREADS