• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 La Fleche Wallonne

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
It’s hilarious. Some posters here are so emotionally attached to the argument that even the best puncheurs in the world are fools for thinking that they can beat Valverde on the Mur that they can’t let it go even in the immediate aftermath of one of the top puncheurs in the world beating Valverde after waiting for the Mur.

QS never chased. That's all we wanted the other teams to do here: attack (which QS did) and not drag Valverde to the finish-line (which QS did).

Again, your point is invalid. QS did what I wanted them to do today, other teams did not (UAE, Dimension Data, Lotto, Sky).

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
El Pistolero said:
Breh said:
Soooooo, LottoBE chased and got 3rd. They should be happy this forum isn't responsible for their tactics.

They chased with their strongest guy... OOPS.

Lotto hasn't won a classic since Gilbert left them.

They have won one of the biggest one day races this year. You can't call that a classic, though, I'll give you that.

Prestigious race, but not long enough for me to consider it a classic. Probably needs to become a bit older as well, as the word classic implies that history of a race is important as well. No doubt it will become a classic one day however.

hrotha said:
jaylew said:
El Pistolero said:
hrotha said:
Turns out waiting for Valverde to launch his attack from his ideal distance was not smart. Who knew.

Indeed. Courtesy of Nibali & Co for smoking Valverde's team.
Alaphillipe was going to win today no matter what. He was simply stronger than Valverde.
A 75 m top effort after a slow approach is not the same as a 200, 300 or 400 m top effort after a harder approach, and the balance of strength isn't necessarily maintained unaltered over those different scenarios. I don't think this is a controversial statement.
I don't think saying Alaphillipe was stronger and was going to beat Valverde on the Mur today is a controversial statement.

El Pistolero said:
tobydawq said:
El Pistolero said:
Breh said:
Soooooo, LottoBE chased and got 3rd. They should be happy this forum isn't responsible for their tactics.

They chased with their strongest guy... OOPS.

Lotto hasn't won a classic since Gilbert left them.

They have won one of the biggest one day races this year. You can't call that a classic, though, I'll give you that.

Prestigious race, but not long enough for me to consider it a classic. Probably needs to become a bit older as well, as the word classic implies that history of a race is important as well. No doubt it will become a classic one day however.

Which was what I said (or meant). Not the distance aspect, though; that has zero importance in this discussion.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
It’s hilarious. Some posters here are so emotionally attached to the argument that even the best puncheurs in the world are fools for thinking that they can beat Valverde on the Mur that they can’t let it go even in the immediate aftermath of one of the top puncheurs in the world beating Valverde after waiting for the Mur.
:lol: Indeed. The twisting of the facts to fit a pre-conceived narrative has plumbed new depths in this thread.

Meanwhile the most celebrated of the daring attackers - Nibali - ended up finishing behind Landa, over two minutes off the pace.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

DFA123 said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
:lol: Indeed. The twisting of the facts to fit a pre-conceived narrative has plumbed new depths in this thread.

Meanwhile the most celebrated of the daring attackers - Nibali - ended up finishing behind Landa, over two minutes off the pace.

Nibali only cares for victory, but I don't expect you to understand that.

TRENDING THREADS