• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So it was Dygert's front tubular rolling off.
That totally explains the wobble.
Bad points for the mechanic! Loosing a world title and, potentially breaking parts of your body becasue of a bad mechanic!
Okay, exclusively unfortunately then. Gotta say that it looked like she took the corner all wrong (speed and position on the bike) to me when I saw the replay, but I'll admit that may be down to my own bias.

Reactions: Volderke
The rolling off tubular has not been confirmed yet. So for now, it's just one possibility.

If it was a badly glued tubular, at least it didn't roll off completely as seen on the footage. Still, a bump in the tubular can cause the wobbling.
Wobbling can also been caused by being tucked in aero position and losing control. This can occur at certain speeds and trying to correct it can worsen the stability. In any way she seemed to take that curve at full speed, probably knowing from the recon it could be done in this way, but it's (unnecessary) risky to keep hands on the aerobars in curves like this.

A very odd crash.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Anna van der Breggen . . . having a great year. In women's cycling age years, she's still a baby. Maybe she re-thinks retirement?
It depends really as to whether she's still a baby. It seems miles on the clock are a key consideration really. I mean, Tatiana Guderzo and Mavi García are the same age, but one is coming into her own and achieving to her best level, the other is now a decade removed from her best performances. There's a lot of real young stars on the scene - Wiebes, Lippert, Harvey, Dygert, Novolodskaya - as well as some real late bloomers. Van der Breggen would definitely be retiring while still truly elite, but she wouldn't be retiring that much earlier than Emma Johansson (shortly after turning 33), Monia Baccaille (32) and Emma Pooley (just before turning 32), later than Nicole Cooke (29), and at the same point as Mara Abbott (just before turning 31) and Nicole Brändli (just after turning 30).

A lot is complicated by the different routes into cycling. Lots of riders like Mavi García, Lucy Kennedy and Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio take up the sport fairly late, similar to Michael Woods or Primož Roglič, and have less wear and tear on them compared to others at the same age as a result; the other issue you have is that North American and Australian riders in particular will tend to ride alongside studies in the domestic scene, because the academic system is somewhat different to in Europe; as a result you'll often find that top American talent won't step across to the European scene until they're already at a comparatively advanced age because they've completed their studies and then been strong enough on the domestic scene to justify making the leap across the Atlantic - this is less so the case now but certainly for people like Evelyn Stevens and Megan Guarnier this factored into it. Guarnier didn't join a pro team until 24, didn't come to Europe until 27, and hit her peak at 30 so her trajectory is similar to Moolman-Pasio with getting used to riding in the more pressured péloton; Stevens is an interesting case because of how she came to the sport. This is why it's taken Katie Hall until she's 32 to come to Europe, because she clearly had outgrown the US domestic scene and she couldn't get any better within it. This was one of Mara Abbott's biggest problems actually; she never had the chance to really iron out the flaws in her game regarding pack skills and descending because she spent so much time moonlighting in the US domestic scene where in the climbing races she was so head and shoulders better than everybody else it was ridiculous - I mean, she was still just about the best when she raced in Europe, but the competition was closer - and so there was never any pressure on her descending skills. Evie Stevie also struggled with descending as well, a legacy of her late start primarily, and that going from the nice wide roads of the US to the narrow twisty old world roads was a new and challenging experience for a relative novice (as an aside, I did think about the possibility of this as a factor in Dygert's crash today, given she's staying beating up on the US domestic péloton when clearly ready for the WWT, but that's unlikely given her track credentials I would say).

One thing that might make Anna re-think retirement (other than defending her Olympic crown) is that while this would be one heck of a retirement tour, she has now won a rainbow jersey and a maglia rosa back to back, because the incumbent champion and race favourite has crashed out while leading the race.

The other thing is if ASO actually televises La Flèche Wallonne, because when you've won on the Mur de Huy five times in a row, you deserve a chance for people to see you do your thing on it.

According to Chad Haga such wobble of the front wheel was caused by breaking through the corner with only front break (only her left hand were on the braking lever). It didn't seem like her tubular came off. So possible rider mistake may have caused the crash.
Yes, as an inexperienced motorcyclist, i once made a similar mistake 20 years ago, braking only with the front brake. As soon as your front wheel starts to slide, there are two options. Either it's over immediately and your bike will slide from under you. Or when the initial slide is not "that" bad, you will try to compensate, but will overcompensate and your wheel goes the other way, and you try to compensate again, and again... resulting in a wobble that you can't stop anymore. In my case it ended with a crash against two parked cars.

I watched it a few times, could have been a speed wobble or a tire issue. Regardless, I wouldn't be quick to blame her -- my worst crash was a result of a speed wobble, and some frames are more prone to it. Sometimes they just happen. Ideally she'd have been in drops but she is the WC and one of the best track riders ever, so she probably thought that was a curve she could take in the tuck

But that injury -- I hope it's not career-threatening. Dygert is a serious talent, quirky and seemingly a bit obsessive, but I really hope she recovers fast and continues to ride.

However, while Dygert may recover quickly, it will take some time to erase the image of Bussi on a TT bike. THe super slo mo of her face at the end of her run has singed my corneas...

Old man takes his kids out for a ride

EisnvJfXcAEU8kC

EisnvJnWsAIXSH4

TRENDING THREADS