• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 4: Piacenza - Sestola 186 km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Poll?

• Yes

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nothing like getting up at 5:45AM to watch a race and there are no pictures....well every once in a while we see cyclists.

Wow a group of 20+ are off the front. Anyone who can win the Giro?

According to Giro live hub the riders are:
Quinten Hermans (IWG) and 202 Victor Campenaerts (TQA),
then:
67 FILIPPO ZANA (BCF) ITA: 137TH AT 10’45” Y 40TH IN MB
84 NICOLAS EDET (COF) FRA: 82ND AT 1’06”
114 MÁRTON DINA (EOK) HUN: 176TH AT 15’18” Y
116 FRANCESCO GAVAZZI (EOK) ITA: 95TH AT 1’18”
137 REIN TAARAMÄE (IWG) EST: 69TH AT 57″
145 ALESSANDRO DE MARCHI (ISN) ITA: 12TH AT 33″
215 AMANUEL GHEBREIGZABHIER (TFS) ERI: 134TH AT 10’41”
224 JOE DOMBROWSKI (UAD) USA: 90TH AT 1’12”

and

17 ANDREA VENDRAME (ACT) ITA
28 LOUIS VERVAEKE (AFC) BEL
36 FILIPPO TAGLIANI (ANS) ITA: 167TH AT 14’38”
38 NICOLA VENCHIARUTTI (ANS) ITA: 152ND AT 12’04’ Y
57 JAN TRATNIK (TBV) SLO
98 PIETER SERRY (DQT) BEL
127 ATTILA VALTER (GFC) HUN
174 NELSON OLIVEIRA (MOV) POR
183 CHRIS JUUL JENSEN (BEX) DEN
194 NICO DENZ (DSM) GER
214 KOEN DE KORT (TFS) NED
222 VALERIO CONTI (UAD) ITA

plus:

64 FILIPPO FIORELLI (BCF) ITA: 162ND AT 14’29”
68 SAMUELE ZOCCARATO (BCF) ITA: 103RD AT 1’28”
217 JACOPO MOSCA (TFS) ITA

Best is De Marchi at #12 with 33 seconds behind.

No immediate GC riders that I see. Nelson Oliveira maybe.

Reactions: Carols
Good opportunity for somebody like de Marchi, Quinten Hermans or Edet to get a Visconti '08 run in the maglia rosa while the main threats manoeuvre themselves behind. I'd also say Taaramäe, but 4km at 10% with a 2km run-in to the line sounds an awful lot like Xorret del Catí, and 12 years on that's still my defining memory of him.

Edit: spalco, Oliveira is at +32" so he's best placed. De Marchi is the better climber though.

Reactions: Lui98 and spalco
Good opportunity for somebody like de Marchi, Quinten Hermans or Edet to get a Visconti '08 run in the maglia rosa while the main threats manoeuvre themselves behind. I'd also say Taaramäe, but 4km at 10% with a 2km run-in to the line sounds an awful lot like Xorret del Catí, and 12 years on that's still my defining memory of him.
Or Conti gets another run with the maglia rosa after 2019.

Edit: spalco, Oliveira is at +32" so he's best placed. De Marchi is the better climber though.

Continuing the feel good factor from Taco's glorious win yesterday. De Marchi taking the Maglia Rosa today would be absolutely brilliant!

He always loves a day in the break. Seems to be going better than ever this season too.

Good spot on Conti, he's one of the best placed in the group too.

PCS now telling us Ganna is pulling.

With Montalcino and Zoncolan on the route, yesterday giving us a break surviving in a flat stage due to miscalculation and now an Apennine stage with a large and uncontrollable break and the maglia rosa coming to the front, the race has the potential to give off some serious 2010 vibes.

And, you know, the more 2010 Giro vibes we can get, the better, right?

Dombrowski's here. He may as well be next Arroyo. He was 12th in 2019. Back then he was a EF twins with Carthy but it was Carthy who blew up.

Under normal circumstances this would be Contis for the taking (actually picked him for todays stage i Velon manager). We all know what bad weather does though, so hard men like De Marchi, Hermans and Serry might actually be better in the end... if it comes down to a breakaway win.