• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 11: Santarcangelo di Romagna – Reggio Emilia 203 km (Wednesday, May 18th)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They sure like to hang out in this shady alley

FTCBopmXEAgA2o5

Italian roads are very different from the Belgian and French counteparts in the flatlands. There are countless towns along the way, and when there's no town you'll likely find an industrial area with some factories or vegetation just next to the road. To sum it up they are not as exposed as a flat road in other European countries.
I'd like to be proven wrong but I don't think echelons are likely. Perhaps the best place is when they exit Bologna, leaving Via Emilia and taking a secondary road.

I am Italian and meteorology geek :tearsofjoy:

This is not true for all Italy, and not for all Po Valley.

There are a lot of area with low population and industrial density also there, especially in the part more near to the Po river in southern lombardy and north emilia
but also central Piedmont and southwestern lombardy.

the problem is that in Po valley strong winds appear seldom, because of Alps and Appennines that are a real big wall for winds.

Today the wind is not negligible but seem more tailwind

regione5_verdi_W_20220518_12.jpg