• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 8: Napoli – Napoli 153 km (Saturday, May 14th)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Martin isn't a threat but he's an admirable racer and his approach to riding to "competitive" GC placings always adds a nice extra bit of flavour to races.

Bit odd for VDP not to just get himself in 2nd in that sprint. Might not mean much but might aswell get yourself some extra points incase or dnfs and you might luck into the jersey.

I'm of a mind that he's already decided not to complete the race so why compete for the jersey

Trek might have made a mistake by not coming to the front a little earlier to attempt to bully Martin into dropping back. It could have been an easy day for them, but now they have to pace for three hours. Skjelmose can of course just sit on and save energy, but it still won't be easy for him to win.

I didnt say he will win the Giro by doing this, or did I?

If he gets a decent result for GC, or even a KOM jersey and perhaps a stage-win with him to go over these three weeks, then cudos to him for doing this "every time".
No, but you did, however, say that they "will be inviting him back into the race", implying that he's a threat. But I totally agree with you: major kudos to him for riding like this instead of going for an anonymous 9th place on GC.

They could give G. Martin 15 minutes and it wouldn't change a thing if Martin decided to ride the rest of the Giro standard, just trying to follow. But we all know thats not the case. Limited potentiel, but he gets the maximum out of it. Must be annoying for some teams to deal with!

Reactions: Salvarani
Today the Rai Player on Rai2 is giving viewer a choice of camera!
Clipboard.jpg

the commentary is only on the first.

No, but you did, however, say that they "will be inviting him back into the race", implying that he's a threat. But I totally agree with you: major kudos to him for riding like this instead of going for an anonymous 9th place on GC.

What you thought I was implying and what I meant are two different things.

A "threat" to those looking for a result GC-wise and not a threat for the overall win, but you do you.

He also has been around 9th, 10th and 11th in GTs. Guy is clearly good at whatever he now presumably does.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Why don't you think Van der Poel will finish the race when he has repeatedly said that that is his target in order to get a full Grand Tour in his legs?

He talked this morning about his targets being primarily the first few days and he's not contesting points when the opportunity is clearly there.

For all that he wants to get a full GT in his legs I think it's likely he cuts this short and tries to push through the TdF

He talked this morning about his targets being primarily the first few days and he's not contesting points when the opportunity is clearly there.

For all that he wants to get a full GT in his legs I think it's likely he cuts this short and tries to push through the TdF

No real sprint opportunities really in that last week too (one potential stage really) so if he isn't going for points jersey (which I think he should have and gone for the finish), no real point in finishing this (same for Cav and Ewan really).

No real sprint opportunities really in that last week too (one potential stage really) so if he isn't going for points jersey (which I think he should have and gone for the finish), no real point in finishing this (same for Cav and Ewan really).

He could win the final stage. It would be pretty lame for him not to finish when he has said so many times that he will.

There's no real point in not doing it, either. It would be pretty stupid to begin acting like Cipollini when you climb so much better.

What you thought I was implying and what I meant are two different things.

A "threat" to those looking for a result GC-wise and not a threat for the overall win, but you do you.

He also has been around 9th, 10th and 11th in GTs. Guy is clearly good at whatever he now presumably does.
Fair enough, but it's hard to know what you mean when you mean something differently from you you say. Anyway, let's put it to rest and just be glad there are riders like Martin who doesn't Zubeldia his way to a top 10 :)

He could win the final stage. It would be pretty lame for him not to finish when he has said so many times that he will.

There's no real point in not doing it, either. It would be pretty stupid to begin acting like Cipollini when you climb so much better.

But if the plan is to finish the Tour, maybe finishing the Giro would be a bit too much given the amount of climbing there is in the final week.

He hasn't done more than 8 straight days in a race and hasn't done a normal pre-season. To be fresh and in shape for the first week of the Tour we would need to take some rest days after the Giro and then do another bloc of training. Finishing the Giro may be a bit too much for that and to still have legs after the Tour to do another peak for Worlds.

And I need to say I didn't believe any talk of finishing the Giro from the start.

Guillaume Martin's racing is basically what the GPM should be about. He isn't all-round enough to be a threat to win, but you know far more about what he has been up to in any given race than half the GC mix, especially the likes of the 2022 version of Rigoberto Urán, who has three top 10s in the last three Tours de France, yet has been far more noticeable and prominent in this Giro than in all three of those Tours combined.

Yes, I know he isn't in this Giro.

• Haha
Reactions: DenisMenchov

TRENDING THREADS