• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2022 Tour de France Start List

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
@Roku

Therefore Pogačar is better then Roglič in 99.99% but when asked who will most likely gain time on other GC favorites on stage 1. Then suddenly such theory becomes under jeopardy and is not such a clear cut anymore. Instead of saying something like Rogla vs. Pogi is around 50:50. Instead of that better to result to an ad hominem and sending kids to school.

Reactions: Sandisfan
In Itzulia 2021, Roglic beat Pogacar by nearly 30 seconds in the opening ITT. Pog had no path to victory unless he dropped Roglic (most likely in a toe-to-toe battle on the final climb). So the final stage is a bit misleading, i.e. Pog was in a bit of trouble before that.

By & large the underrating of Primoz Roglic is a regular occurrence. The comments here are mild as well compared to what's being posted & said elsewhere. I mean the Dauphiné is being used to portray Roglic as a has-been & Vingegaard as way better. Is this rational? I don't think so. But it's similar to the conversations last summer, i.e. for example when certain Slovenians themselves wanted Roglic to give the ITT spot in the Olympics to Pogacar because he was 'past it' after the road race, or when people genuinely believed Enric Mas was stronger than Roglic uphill in the Vuelta (Contador for example). Or during the Covadonga stage, many expected Bernal to blow Roglic off his wheel on the final climb.

Etc. etc.

The truth is Roglic is not a normal predictable rider. So most of the visual clues & data people rely upon to make the judgement "Vingegaard > Roglic" don't actually apply because he's disproven such theories again, again & again in his career.

I mean if I'm Pogacar in the TdF, I wouldn't even fall for the Vingegaard bait (because Pog is better than Jonas in the ITT), I'd just stick to Roglic like glue & then attack him. And I suspect that's what we'll see.
I'll put it this way. The strength of Roglic is his team. In order for him to win the race he has to use his team fully, in parallel with him, not working for him. If JV or him think that He can go toe to toe against Pogacar then the race is lost before it even starts. No way in this world that he has a chance. You are thinking already 2 years ago when Roglic was at his complete peak and Pogacar was 2 years younger. Those times are gone. Really gone!!

Yesterday I was watching a duel between Higuita and Pogacar in California. Ah the Nostalgia!!!

Anyway, hope there at least competition because the last thing we want to watch is a race in which nobody can touch Pogacar.:)

So nice to see Bob Jungels back on track. He looked pretty good in Switzerland.

Good post. :)

Also very nice that Bouchard will ride his first TdF now. He rides rather unnoticed, but has had an enormous development within the last few years. Rather unusual career up to now, but he‘s really, really good, and will be a great domestique for O‘Connor. And Bouchard could win a stage himself.

@Escarabajo

Are you implying Vingegaard should touch Pogi? Surely not.

On a more serious note. Who knows what will happen. It's the Tour. Implying Rogla couldn't drop Pogi in mano-a-mano duel. I agree that this likely isn't their plan A but believing Pogi can't have a bad day. That is in my opinion a bit naive. He can and surely will have such days in the future.

In addition hectic week one, beginning with stage 1. There is plenty of opportunity to gain or lose some time regardless of who you are. It could end up getting decided at the last ITT. Imagine the tension, emotions, frustrations, ... involved. If that would to happen. Anyway. Stage 1 and after that stage 2, ...

It depends on when the infection actually happened. If he can get a negativ test until Tuesday or so next week he should be fine. The guys who get now covid have the least possibility of getting a negative test in the Tour so it can be a big advantage to teams to have newly infected riders in their squad.

It depends on when the infection actually happened. If he can get a negativ test until Tuesday or so next week he should be fine. The guys who get now covid have the least possibility of getting a negative test in the Tour so it can be a big advantage to teams to have newly infected riders in their squad.
There is that. But the is also the scenario where he is a bit sick or al least affected his health a bit. Which it sounds like it didn't. But if it did then he will probably be sidelined.

Good post. :)

Also very nice that Bouchard will ride his first TdF now. He rides rather unnoticed, but has had an enormous development within the last few years. Rather unusual career up to now, but he‘s really, really good, and will be a great domestique for O‘Connor. And Bouchard could win a stage himself.

And in among this love for Jungels and Bouchard, none of us noticed that GVA was left out.
I read an article saying he was sure he was going to get selected and isn't too happy!

• Wow
Plenty of stages where he could've been useful.
Maybe not as a stage hunter, but with a GC option in the team the omission comes as a surprise to me too.
My thoughts as well. O'Connor, despite being a genuine podium contender, is still relatively new to the sport and would benefit more from an experienced classics rider than another guy who will get dropped 1/3 of the way up the last climb.

Reactions: sir fly
I'll put it this way. The strength of Roglic is his team. In order for him to win the race he has to use his team fully, in parallel with him, not working for him. If JV or him think that He can go toe to toe against Pogacar then the race is lost before it even starts. No way in this world that he has a chance. You are thinking already 2 years ago when Roglic was at his complete peak and Pogacar was 2 years younger. Those times are gone. Really gone!!

Yesterday I was watching a duel between Higuita and Pogacar in California. Ah the Nostalgia!!!

Anyway, hope there at least competition because the last thing we want to watch is a race in which nobody can touch Pogacar.:)
Thing is, Pogacar has a team so strong George Bennett is only around their 5th strongest climber, but nobody strong enough to question leadership. This could be a real display of power we haven't seen for a while.

Thing is, Pogacar has a team so strong George Bennett is only around their 5th strongest climber, but nobody strong enough to question leadership. This could be a real display of power we haven't seen for a while.
Do you think UAE will be a dominant force? Cause 2020 and 21 they have been not. And while Soler and Bennet are new, they are in my opinion not that much above Formolo and De la Cruz although both did not really shine in Pogacar's wins.

JV have to at least try on that cobbled stage I think, Pogacar has no teammates for it and his solo positioning is suspect I.E, Dwars he was poor, Flanders see how far he came back from on that insane Kwaremont attack. He has also lost time on early stages in the past 2 tours because of either bad positioning or a dodgy team. Van Der Poel will probably go nuts earlyish so hopefully Roglic can stick to Van Aert's wheel when he follows, Sky will probably also have a go with seasoned classics riders around Thomas.

Could also get dropped on Granon, looks only 'good' on the longest of climbs so far, just insane on 15-30 minute efforts, although as he is still young there aren't too many points of reference,( dropped on Loze, Ventoux).

TT's I expect Roglic to beat him in the first, Pogacar wins the second. Roglic is better in isolated/fresh time trials but Pogacar's recovery seems exceptional so I would expect him to be better at the end.

Still have him as the favourite but going with Pogacar slightly overrated, Roglic slightly underrated with Jonas as the wildcard.

Bora new jerseys

FV9NnHEXkAALMs8

TRENDING THREADS