• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2022 Tour de France Start List

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Have you guys seen the route for this race? To me it makes absolute sense that QuickStep bring some guys for the tough terrain like Honoré and Bagioli and don't go all-in on a sprint train. French jersey or not. I don't buy that it's a question of nationality.

Sénéchal is not just part of the sprint train, though, he can survive some hills that will throw out Jakobsen. I don't like the guy much and for my cq team at least Bagioli, if successful, would be a good thing. But don't you think it's a bit weird to not have the French champion who's in really good form at the Tour?
Wouldn't one bring him over someone like Bagioli at the moment?
Maybe it's not all about the nationality, but nationality definitely played a big role in selection, and to bring Sénéchal to the Vuelta instead doesn't make much sense to me, when the Vuelta will be mostly all in for Evenepoel, plus some Ala-stage hunting now.
Now, Cavagna I can understand, since he's not in great form this year. But overall I do get the impression, that the team didn't seem too keen on bringing Frenchmen to the Tour, while bringing Danes to Denmark was important.
(Whether I would publicly say something like Sénéchal did and thereby dig at my colleagues is something else...)

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Hang on, Lefevre leaves at home the French champion, the world champion and most popular rider in France, and the guy who can be the most successful stage winner of all time. But he cares about bringing the Danes because he wants a 'good image'? Ok...
Imagine the strength of a team from riders not selected by Lefevre:

-Fausto Masnada (leader)
-Remco Evenepoel (zupergregario)
-Julian Alaphilippe (free role)
-Mark Cavandish (bomber)
-Florian Seneschal (leadout)
-Zdenek Stybar (Road captain + gregario)
-Remi Cavagna (gregario/time trials)
-8th rider can be a gregario, one of Van Lerberg, Devenyns , Serry, Cerny, Vervaecke,

No Gesbert, Edet, Dayer, Bouhanni, Ries, Vauquelin, Anacona, Delaplace, Ledanois (other than in a team car) or Guernalec?

Well Quintana looked nowhere near a GC contender at Occitanie, despite the best efforts of Edet and Ries. And there's three stages in Arkea's home region of Brittany. Looks like they've gone for a team focussed on those and the Danish stages. I'll be cheering for them if they rip the race apart.

Have you guys seen the route for this race? To me it makes absolute sense that QuickStep bring some guys for the tough terrain like Honoré and Bagioli and don't go all-in on a sprint train. French jersey or not. I don't buy that it's a question of nationality.

I'd give Senechal a better chance of winning a stage than Honore tbh, and even if you'd lean Honore on that, it's not by enough that Senechal riding around in the national champions jersey doesn't overcome it. He's guaranteed coverage on every stage of the race in that jersey.

They go all in with Vlasov while keeping flexibility for chasing breaks and stage wins.

Bora's line-up only lacks an elite mountain domestique, but Kämna, Grossschartner, Konrad and Schachmann should be enough to at least guarantee a couple of riders staying with Aleks in each stage when the peloton is heavily reduced.

If those 4 are in form, they likely stick with Vlasov up most of a mountain until the top guys start attacking unless there's a ridiculous pace set by Jumbo or Ineos.

He is a solid rider and he has been good over three weeks in the two past editions of the Vuelta, and like you said... he seems to be in great shape.
Its only about being there in a high-mountain stage (but realistically - of how much help is a domestique there on the final climb?). Other than that, they will be fine. Konrad and Großschartner already finished two GTs in the top 10. Konrad's form a bit more questionable with a bad Covid infection in winter and a concussion in preperation. But I would say both have the potential to be a top 20 climber here. That should really be good enough. Kämna also usually shows up good to the TdF

Still at lets say TDF 2021. That was likely even worse? Looking from such perspective.

First week of the TdF 2021 was great. After the Alps it was basically over so zero GC excitement. In terms of suspense it was way worse than 2020 but at least there was no one-team dominance (which I really don't like in cycling and which makes mountain stages less open and less mano-a-mano).

Reactions: Sandisfan
FWR1_4LWIAMU23e

Its hard to argue with the Bennett decision. He hasn’t shown his old top end speed and acceleration since his injury a year ago. And you can’t justify taking a sprinter as well as a GC hopeful if your sprinter hasn’t demonstrated Tour stage winning level in over a year.

I do think it’s a bit weird that Bennett and Mullen, a key part of their sprint train, were both clearly still expecting to ride the Tour when they were pulled from the nationals a few days ago. Nothing has changed objectively in that time.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS