• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Fossacesia Marina – Ortona 19.6 km ITT (Saturday, May 6th)

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The most worrying part regarding Roglic's TT is the climb. It should have been part of the plan to gain some time during the final, no? Some did exactly that (Hart, Almeida ...). I would think he would at least gain 5-10s on Remco on the climb but in the end he didn't gain anything. So either he went over his limit during the flat part (being informed about the gap with Remco?) or there may be a different issue (overtrained, dip due to altitude camp, peaked to early this season, covid...).
All the issues you mentioned could contribute to a lackluster first stage. Now he, UAE and Ineos need to get to work or they'll be fighting each other for podium spots.

I had predicted Remco to lay down a marker today, and he surely delivered with a emphatic display.

As strong as he looks right now, the big intrigue with Remco is whether or not he can manage these serious climbs that the Giro serves up.

Before everyone jumps up saying he already proved himself in the mountains of last year's Vuelta, I don't classify those stages as difficult as what he will face in week 2 and 3 of this Giro.

Personally, I hope he does wear pink in Milan and emerge as a true GT champion to join in the Pog-Vingegaard battles in the GTs ahead.

What a great era to be alive!!

Roglic didn't do much time trial training because of his injury, as far as I understood. So I wouldn't really read too much into it.

I trust Rog's climbing legs more than his ITT these days, especially those super flat ITT's in a straight line where he pulls a massive gear to compensate a lack of power compared to the rouleurs.

For reference when we look at the flat ITT in last year's Dauphiné, Roglič lost 42 seconds on Ganna over 32km. Today in just under 20km, he lost 21 seconds on Ganna. It's not a catastrophe.

I had predicted Remco to lay down a marker today, and he surely delivered with a emphatic display.

As strong as he looks right now, the big intrigue with Remco is whether or not he can manage these serious climbs that the Giro serves up.

Before everyone jumps up saying he already proved himself in the mountains of last year's Vuelta, I don't classify those stages as difficult as what he will face in week 2 and 3 of this Giro.

Personally, I hope he does wear pink in Milan and emerge as a true GT champion to join in the Pog-Vingegaard battles in the GTs ahead.

What a great era to be alive!!
He will have to make a detour if he wants to wear pink in Milan.

I agree in theory it would have been nice if the gap to Roglic had been 10-20 seconds, he would have had do something other than sit on Remco's wheel for 99% of The Giro.

The reality is, and was always more likely, that with so much TT, Evenepoel can cruise round. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't got much interest in watching a cagey fight for the podium after the first day?
You said the same in 2019?

Do you guys know where I can find pdf with results from the stage?
Go to ProCyclingStats or FirstCycling to the resultspage. In your browser menu choose "print" and then "print to PDF" from your printer menu (where you select your printer). This is the easiest way to get a PDF with the results.

Do you guys know where I can find pdf with results from the stage?

The split times are there as well. McNulty's are all over the place (61 km/h average in part 2), but they still haven't noticed yet

4Ia1nlK.png

You don't wanna see Santi Buitrago going full Rujano?
This, not to mention the filthy Anglomals (pun intended) going crazy in the mountains.
Everyone who says the Giro is over hasn't watched enough editions of the race in recent history. When has the Giro been over before they entered the high mountains/after the TTs in the first half of the race?

TRENDING THREADS