• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 7: Capua - Gran Sasso d'Italia (Campo Imperatore), 218 km (Friday, May 12)

Copying the info from the very extensive 2023 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-Stage Analysis by @Eshnar

Wd9Qsjrk_400x400.jpg

Stage 7: Capua – Gran Sasso d’Italia 218 km

Friday, May 12th, 11:15 – 17:10 CEST

bjfMwCXJ4PBSJwnLkTYy_170423-012012.jpg

V7FgvrVsfQtqUIPRDjJs_170423-011950.jpg

Technical Overview:

The first mountain top finish of the race starts in Capua and heads north-west all day in the heart of the Appennines. Despite this headline, however, the route is pretty straightforward: the peloton will ride on flat roads most of the time, with the first climb of the day coming only at km 67, the uncategorized partial climb to Rionero Sannitico (14.6 km at 4.5%). After a very brief descent, the riders will find the intermediate sprint of Castel di Sangro and the climb to Roccaraso (GPM2, 6.9 km at 6.5%). From here, a false flat and then a gentle descent will slowly lead to the foot of the highest mountain of the Appennines, coming just after the second intermediate sprint of Bussi sul Tirino. For the last 46 km the road will be almost always pointing upwards. At first it will be the climb to Calascio (GPM1, 13.5 km at 6%), with its long and regular slopes, topping at 32 km to go. After that, the road will keep climbing towards the Gran Sasso d’Italia (GPM1, 26.4 km at 3.4%) in a much more irregular manner, on a road that is high, exposed, and often very windy. Only the last 4.5 km have steep gradients, and they will most likely decide the winner.

mNBktkhCVbD4tT7nsnCV_170423-012010.jpg

The Climbs:

Roccaraso
: GPM2, 6.9 km at 6.5%

A pretty tough climb whose average gradient is brought down by its last 2 km. Profile by Cyclingcols.com

RoccarasoS.gif

Calascio: GPM2, 13.5 km at 6%

Long and very regular, always at 5-7%. Ridden last time in 2018, again to finish on Gran Sasso.

dxiEmpAPLFzcMEZGdl0I_170423-012004.jpg

Gran Sasso d’Italia: GPM1, 26.4 km at 3.4%

Very irregular, the only tough part is at the end, with 4.5 km at 8.2%. The false flat sections are also very exposed, so wind might discourage action until the final ramp.

dlOKREKiD9yw7vRfyUCG_170423-012007.jpg

What to Expect:

A selected GC group sprinting for the win and for bonus seconds. Perhaps a few gaps if someone really goes for it, but nothing too significant.

marco_pantani.jpg

Marco Pantani attacking on Gran Sasso, Giro 1999

In the interview with the French, Evenepoel is outpolic about his competitors at Jumbo-Visma and especially Primoz Roglic. “I think Roglic is nervous. He knows he’s 44 seconds behind,” the world champion said. “They’re also nervous in the peloton. They push a lot, that is the style of Jumbo.
“We will see tomorrow if he will try to get closer, after the time trial and the stage of the day before. I think I’m the strongest right now,” thought Evenepoel. “For us, this is the ideal scenario. I was behind in Catalonia, now it is the other way around. We have no stress, for Jumbo-Visma it is different.”

Fv3ZcpTWcAAMDtA

Last edited:
In the interview with the French, Evenepoel is outpolic about his competitors at Jumbo-Visma and especially Primoz Roglic. “I think Roglic is nervous. He knows he’s 44 seconds behind,” the world champion said. “They’re also nervous in the peloton. They push a lot, that is the style of Jumbo.
“We will see tomorrow if he will try to get closer, after the time trial and the stage of the day before. I think I’m the strongest right now,” thought Evenepoel. “For us, this is the ideal scenario. I was behind in Catalonia, now it is the other way around. We have no stress, for Jumbo-Visma it is different.”

Evenepoel is obsessed with Rogla.

He spent last month in Tenerife sharing a hotel (& bar) with Rog, now he's with him in Italy riding around in the sun & rain.

I feel a real bromance is brewing here.

@Lequack the wind won't be a factor as it will be weak (and rather cross- than head-). This uphill drag at the end is monstrous. Obviously it's not steep enough for most part but if one or two teams decide to set a strong tempo from Calascio then there could be moderate gaps on the last steep section (due to fatigue) when somebody attacks hard. JV and maybe another strong team will try something tomorrow (considering that there will be no mountain stage for the next few days).

Reactions: Cookster15

Maybe he should think more about himself riding straight then acusing others of being nervous. Many others talk mostly about themselfs. He talks about others all the time.

Maybe he should think more about himself riding straight then acusing others of being nervous. Many others talk mostly about themselfs. He talks about others all the time.
I think he’s right, actually. All he has to do is follow wheels; if he loses 10-20 seconds,no worries. Any serious contender who can take more time than that on him tomorrow is going to regret going so deep, if he’s in the shape he seems to be in…I’m most interested in how Ineos play this; I don’t think Roglic has the team to take the fight to him this week.

This stage is very long as well as finishing at well over 2,000 metres. It will be a big test of the GC favorites.

If I was Roglič , I'd just keep to Remco's wheel and try to counter punch if he attacks. This early in the Giro Remco isn't going to drop Roglič off his wheel even on a steep climb. Anyhow, Remco will have his eyes on Sunday.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and Tonton
This stage is very long as well as finishing at well over 2,000 metres. It will be a big test of the GC favorites.

If I was Roglič , I'd just keep to Remco's wheel and try to counter punch if he attacks. This early in the Giro Remco isn't going to drop Roglič off his wheel even on a steep climb. Anyhow, Remco will have his eyes on Sunday.
Remco will probably keep Roglic's wheel. He has no reason to attack. Maybe they go in circles if both are trying to sit in the wheel of the other 😉

I'm guessing the bad weather and nervousness of the first days will leave some marks, at least on some riders. I'm quite curious how QS will be - if Evenepoel gets isolated quickly, then something may happen sooner, but with these gradients, I do not expect that to happen (unless in the final few km).

Can you explain this to the Remco fans that criticized Roglic in Catalonia for not attacking while in the lead?
There's a difference between sitting in the wheel and not doing any work, and rotating with someone. We'll see if Remco will just suck wheel the whole stage. He said that he won't attack himself, and his focus is on the TT of Sunday. So I guess he'll just follow, and maybe try to win the sprint if there are bonus seconds to gain?

TRENDING THREADS