• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 9: Savignano sul Rubicone – Cesena 35 km ITT (Sunday, May 14th)

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That was a thrilling TT, but I don't think the outcome does any favosr to the overall race.
With such a tiny gaps I'm not bothered about stage 13 anymore as it would most probably be all about the final climb.

Agreed when I saw Roglas first split I was excited cause it looked like its gonna be amazing for the race. Now alot of people have alot of reason to focus on mountain sprints (or trying to hold the wheel of said people going for the mountain sprints)

Reactions: YavorD
But how does that make any sense? They have a pacing plan... They know exactly how hard to ride, where. The only reason he wouldn't be able to match the plan is if his form isn't there anymore or he still struggles with injuries from his fall.
If he was affected by the crashes, then why not have a "plan" by not going thermonuclear when the form isn't there? chances are you'd blow up halfway as he did ;)

gotta have accountability - at least he did that

I dont even understand what you are arguing here or where the contradiction lies? deny that every reasonable person would think that Remco would crush the opposition on this ITT after the first ITT? an ITT that would suit him to a tee. of course his form his offset, you could see it yesterday and today again. even if the crash didn't look bad one was at 60 km/hr and probably took its toll, but what has that to do with what i said? if Remo had been in form this race would have been over today
I was pointing out your logical fallacy of taking as a given that Remco will win if in form and therefore if he doesn’t win, by definition your argument goes, he is not in form. I agree that true crash is likely impacting him, but “if Remco had been in form this race would have been over today” is too much.

People are overreacting to this. Remco is still in a good GC lead. Of course I would have guessed that he distances most GC riders betwenn one minute and one and a half minutes but he's clearly not on his best form at the moment. But know it's almost a week until the next big test and then one of the other teams has to pick it up which is not clear if somneone will do it outside of the last kms.

If the drop in form is because of the crashes or sickness the picture could be totally different in a week.
The problem is the next big test is not one which suits him; whether due to his crash or illness, today was a massive lost chance.

Reactions: Sandisfan
People are overreacting to this. Remco is still in a good GC lead. Of course I would have guessed that he distances most GC riders betwenn one minute and one and a half minutes but he's clearly not on his best form at the moment. But know it's almost a week until the next big test and then one of the other teams has to pick it up which is not clear if somneone will do it outside of the last kms.

If the drop in form is because of the crashes or sickness the picture could be totally different in a week.
How so? TT was ideal for him, both in length as with wind conditions and should have taken at least an extra minute. He started the Giro 2kg heavier than the Vuelta in order to perform better in TT's and "be healthier". Usually you don't climb better the heavier you get. So instead of defending a comfortable lead, he now has to defend a narrow lead, while he is clearly suffering and even if he would magically recover, with his current weight it is highly unlikely he is going to climb with the best. The idea was to improve w/kg (lol) in the mountains, but as we can already see, he can't even keep up on shorter climbs. Maybe their plan could have worked in case everything went smoothly, but as soon as you get a few setbacks (could just as well have been a flat tire or caught out in echelons) such a plan seems quite naïve.

Agreed when I saw Roglas first split I was excited cause it looked like its gonna be amazing for the race. Now alot of people have alot of reason to focus on mountain sprints (or trying to hold the wheel of said people going for the mountain sprints)

Exactly. With a route that lacks stage designed for a long-range attacks and top 4 (2 of them from Ineos) within a minute, controlled tempo and last km's accelerations could be very likely scenario.

Reactions: KOM
The problem is the next big test is not one which suits him; whether due to his crash or illness, today was a massive lost chance.
Of course the next big test suits him. When it comes to the best four climbers in the world (Pogacar, Evenepoel, Roglic, Vingegaard) all mountain stages suit them as they are normally the strongest. The differences are here on the margins - Roglic wants a more unrythmic climb with steep pinches than a well paved tempo climb. But they are all elite and the favourite for every mountain stages.

In the end the main factor will be how the stage will be raced and which form the contenders have on this exact day. If a team has numbers over the penultimate climb and your alone behind your giro could be over, but that's the same story for everyone. The way Ineos raced up until now I can see them chicken out of a move that far from the finish that could see one of there captains get dropped. If that's the case (especially with the small gc time gaps) the stage could come down to just 4-5 raced kms at the end as we saw in the last Giro.

Exactly. With a route that lacks stage designed for a long-range attacks and top 4 (2 of them from Ineos) within a minute, controlled tempo and last km's accelerations could be very likely scenario.
After PdBF, I think Roglic will want a bit of a buffer ahead of the MTT if possible though. You don't get that by playing the waiting game forever. And Ineos won't get anything out of having two horses in this race that way either. While today isn't ideal at first glance, it could still work out provided neither Thomas nor TGH is the strongest climber in the Alps.

How so? TT was ideal for him, both in length as with wind conditions and should have taken at least an extra minute. He started the Giro 2kg heavier than the Vuelta in order to perform better in TT's and "be healthier". Usually you don't climb better the heavier you get. So instead of defending a comfortable lead, he now has to defend a narrow lead, while he is clearly suffering and even if he would magically recover, with his current weight it is highly unlikely he is going to climb with the best. The idea was to improve w/kg (lol) in the mountains, but as we can already see, he can't even keep up on shorter climbs. Maybe their plan could have worked in case everything went smoothly, but as soon as you get a few setbacks (could just as well have been a flat tire or caught out in echelons) such a plan seems quite naïve.

He was fine on climbs like Cappuccini in LBL. His problem yesterday was not the weight.
Also, I do not think he is 2 kilos heavier than Vuelta, he looks just as skinny.

By the way, really strange TT, gaps remained stable after halfway, only Rogla was coming back.

He said in the interview that the new regulations allow him to have a more comfortable position on the bike.

I don't know how the regulations have changed. Something about handlebar position? Someone here knows I guess?
If you have the time and interest to read about all the rule changes here's an article I was able to find. (Too long and techie for me to read, I just skipped over to the TT bike changes. :D)

Reactions: JohnWayne
To me all the talk about his racing weight and perfomance that comes from quickstep is either bs or smoke and mirrors. How often did they change their stance on his supposed 2021 Giro weight.

Of course the next big test suits him. When it comes to the best four climbers in the world (Pogacar, Evenepoel, Roglic, Vingegaard) all mountain stages suit them as they are normally the strongest. The differences are here on the margins - Roglic wants a more unrythmic climb with steep pinches than a well paved tempo climb. But they are all elite and the favourite for every mountain stages.

In the end the main factor will be how the stage will be raced and which form the contenders have on this exact day. If a team has numbers over the penultimate climb and your alone behind your giro could be over, but that's the same story for everyone. The way Ineos raced up until now I can see them chicken out of a move that far from the finish that could see one of there captains get dropped. If that's the case (especially with the small gc time gaps) the stage could come down to just 4-5 raced kms at the end as we saw in the last Giro.
I would not remotely put Remco on a list of best climbers in the world with Pog and Ving, and not even Roglic, when it comes down to a big block of mountain stages such as we are going to see in the last week of this race. I would love to be proven wrong and have him show he belongs there, but as it stands now I believe if he goes into the last week with under a minute GC lead he is not going to end up in pink.

Reactions: DoYouEvenRideBruh
Sivakov, Arensman and De Plus are still very much within striking distance: 3m0s, 3m17s and 3m21s.
That means the worst Ineos climber is only two and a half minutes down on Roglic. I assume QuickStep will pretend to be favourites for the next week and do the work in the peloton, until they no longer are. Then i think Ineos will strike and it will be up to Bouwman and Kuss to keep it together.

He was fine on climbs like Cappuccini in LBL.
LBL is not a 3 week race. While your pure power output can improve w/kg at face value, you have to take into account that your body has to provide those additional watts, that extra energy throughout 3 weeks. It's not just the muscles that have to be able to push harder, the rest of the body has to be able cope with that extra energy drain as well. If they are again lying about his weight, then there is still a chance that he can win in case he recovers (assuming he is hurting from his crash). If his current level has nothing to do with his crash, it's game over regardless. Imho, slim chance at best he brings this home.
To me all the talk about his racing weight and perfomance that comes from quickstep is either bs or smoke and mirrors. How often did they change their stance on his supposed 2021 Giro weight.
If he is to have any chance, i hope that's the case here.