• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 9: Savignano sul Rubicone – Cesena 35 km ITT (Sunday, May 14th)

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Why so negative ot Thomas? I actually think that if he finishes the Giro without a (heavy) crash, he'll be on podium. I'd say in front of Tao until these 9 stages, but now I'm not so sure he won't win the whole thing.
On the podium yes. But he's only ahead of Tao, because of Tao's shemozzle on stage 2 and hasn't looked stronger all year.

How does Thomas want to stay those 2 seconds ahead of Roglic? Bonus seconds alone and Roglic passes him. Then I would be very surprised if he can stay with him all the time in the mountains. He doesn't have that punch to attack and create a gap either.

He just doesn't look like Ineos card to play if they intend to win the Giro d'Italia.

Why so negative ot Thomas? I actually think that if he finishes the Giro without a (heavy) crash, he'll be on podium. I'd say in front of Tao until these 9 stages, but now I'm not so sure he won't win the whole thing.
Thomas can be damn good in GTs where he stays upright. And he is very canny about pacing. His Tour podium last year was a master class in knowing when to expend energy. He's been riding grand tours since 2007, when 7 year old Remco was kicking a football around his backyard...

On the podium yes. But he's only ahead of Tao, because of Tao's shemozzle on stage 2 and hasn't looked stronger all year.

How does Thomas want to stay those 2 seconds ahead of Roglic? Bonus seconds alone and Roglic passes him. Then I would be very surprised if he can stay with him all the time in the mountains. He doesn't have that punch to attack and create a gap either.

He just doesn't look like Ineos card to play if they intend to win the Giro d'Italia.
I agree he isn't the attack type, but there is still the final TT. So if he can limit his losses to less than a minute, he is still dangerous. So just being close to Roglic should give roglic the pressure to think about where to spend his efforts to gain time.

Lets hope Uran hasn't been in close contact with Healy.. i'm expecting another stage for him...

Thomas can be damn good in GTs where he stays upright. And he is very canny about pacing. His Tour podium last year was a master class in knowing when to expend energy. He's been riding grand tours since 2007, when 7 year old Remco was kicking a football around his backyard...
True. But I think Thomas also showed his level in last year’s tour when he finished with Vingo and Pog on the Alpe. Combine that level with canny pacing and staying upright and he can be a podium threat at this Giro.

Reactions: Sandisfan
You obviously haven't listened to his rants :)
And where are all these banged up bandages? I've never seen one. I totally respect and am sometimes awed by his obvious talent. But he behaves like a prima donna 12 year old and it really turns me off. I admire your empathy :).
This feels like a fitting explanation to me <3
I've already said he's the John McNroe of cycling so :D

Reactions: Carols
It is difficult to know how damage make the crash on Evenepoel. Acording what we see on Liege and on the first TT is quite clear he is affected, but likely not too much.

The problem is that the good part of the race for him has passed, and he has now the hard one. Any thing could happend in the last 2 stages, the one on the dolomites and the had climb ITT

OMG, I didnt see about Covid news :oops:
:coldsweat:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS