• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 9: Savignano sul Rubicone – Cesena 35 km ITT (Sunday, May 14th)

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Does Küng win the TT if he starts an hour later. Have seen various posts that are clowning him for his pacing but I would argue that it was more about the slippy corner in the first 10km.
Cleary worse road conditions compared to the GC leaders.
Not sure he would. Rain calmed down a bit, although at the end it picked up again, but the wind blew harder when the GC guys were on route.

Does Küng win the TT if he starts an hour later. Have seen various posts that are clowning him for his pacing but I would argue that it was more about the slippy corner in the first 10km.
Cleary worse road conditions compared to the GC leaders.
For me it's his effort yesterday, why stay so long with the GC group? Maybe worse conditions also, but he could've saved a little more for today.

Kelly in general is a very good expert, but let's not pretend all the "experts" that are on tv know better in general. I swear I have heard as many stupid takes from them as here in the forum.
And honestly that gap was not expected beforehand, people like Remco himself expected a different outcome I think.
I don't think there are many commentators with a palmares like Kelly's. Contador and????

better talk about Sky development program of British riders in the clinic section...

How did you get to there from what I said? I didnt mention anything about that, you did just now for no reason at all.

Tao is 28 and should be right in his peak and have his best years now as a cyclist. He has already won the Giro, so he is proven at this level. That he has developed and improved his TT at one of the best teams in the sport is not that farfetched.

Reactions: millirj
It was a cat 4 climb.

The real climbing is yet to come. We don't even know whether Jay Vine & Almeida could be better climbers than the Ineos pair. All we know is the anticipated gaps are nowhere near as big as most predicted between Evenepoel & the rest (myself included).

I'd totally made my peace with Remco having a 2 minute lead in GC on the first rest day. So the last 24 hours have been a big, big surprise. But that doesn't change the fact the real Giro hasn't even started yet.
Of course the true race only starts with the Switzerland stage!

Having QS and Ineos at the top of the standings means the rest of the Giro will be a breakaway's picnic as they've both shown in the past they are content having two races - When you add in that there is only one nailed on sprint stage 21, then the breakaway will have fun.

Having QS and Ineos at the top of the standings means the rest of the Giro will be a breakaway's picnic as they've both shown in the past they are content having two races - When you add in that there is only one nailed on sprint stage 21, then the breakaway will have fun.
But that's superb news regarding the expected mountain points hunt between Pinot and maybe Buitrago and/or Rubio.

As well for someone like Riccitello if he wants to get something out of his first kinda home grand tour.

And of course the likes of Fortunato who saw their gc being gone today.

Reactions: yaco
How did you get to there from what I said? I didnt mention anything about that, you did just now for no reason at all.

Tao is 28 and should be right in his peak and have his best years now as a cyclist. He has already won the Giro, so he is proven at this level. That he has developed and improved his TT at one of the best teams in the sport is not that farfetched.
More so, it's to be expected that new TT regulations would relatively favour some riders, even if it wasn't easy to predict beforehand who.

Reactions: Salvarani
But that's superb news regarding the expected mountain points hunt between Pinot and maybe Buitrago and/or Rubio.

As well for someone like Riccitello if he wants to get something out of his first kinda home grand tour.

And of course the likes of Fortunato who saw their gc being gone today.

Yes - The GC group can still ride hard at the backend of mountainous stages and take chunks of time off each other, while the breakaway has fun.