• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2023 Vuelta a España route rumours

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
@Ilmaestro99 logic goes on vacations again. Probably to san sebastian.
Good timing for vacations. 4 weeks to relax and clear the mind in San Sebastian and then back in time for la vuelta to peak in the 3rd week writing paragraphs all day defending the GOAT remco evenepol.

Logic spends his life writing long post after long post on here repeating the same points about remco, this random sportsman, against anyone who has slightly different opinion. Hopefully the holidays give some perspective.

I saw the profiles a couple of days ago and I have to tell you that I like it a lot. I usually don't like Vuelta's profiles for the amount of muritos or monoclimbs, but this year they had a good distribution IMHO. 4 stages stand out for me and they look really good. Additionally, I have to say that they make a good job in minimizing the sprint stages for the most part. Hopefully we get a good competition.

The start list looks really promising. However, I don't think it is what it looks like. For example I just don't believe that Thomas or Vingegaard will come with the form of the last GT that they did. I just don't believe it. So basically it will be similar to last year like Remco, Roglic, Mas with the addition of Carapaz as the contenders. For sure there will be others but these are the ones that stand out to me at first glance. there are several outsiders of course like Vlasov, Landa, Ineos riders, etc. Let's hope for the best race.

I saw the profiles a couple of days ago and I have to tell you that I like it a lot. I usually don't like Vuelta's profiles for the amount of muritos or monoclimbs, but this year they had a good distribution IMHO. 4 stages stand out for me and they look really good. Additionally, I have to say that they make a good job in minimizing the sprint stages for the most part. Hopefully we get a good competition.

The start list looks really promising. However, I don't think it is what it looks like. For example I just don't believe that Thomas or Vingegaard will come with the form of the last GT that they did. I just don't believe it. So basically it will be similar to last year like Remco, Roglic, Mas with the addition of Carapaz as the contenders. For sure there will be others but these are the ones that stand out to me at first glance. there are several outsiders of course like Vlasov, Landa, Ineos riders, etc. Let's hope for the best race.
I agree, its a great route. Only real gripe I have with the route is the fact that the time trial is too short for my liking, but other than that, I really like it. I particularly like stage 14 over Hourcere and Larrau finishing on Larra-Belugua. Every time major Tour ride in this area, it produces some great racing and especially Larrau seems like a beast. Can't remember I have seen that climb before. Could potentially be the best GT stage of the year IMO.

Other than that, I really like stage 18 to Cruz de la Linares. Super though day and super steep climb in the bottom, coming the day after Angliru. And of course stage 20. Even if the win is off limits, there will still be plenty of racing to be done on such a stage for the remaining top-10 I think. It should be tough enough.

And no sprint stage in the first 3 days should with some varied terrain is always a huge plus. Like the stage into Barcelona, don't have a problem with the TTT at all and the MTF at Arinsal is actually pretty tough! Should make for a super first real showdown. These 3 first days will definitely create some gaps.

Great route, personally I like it a bit better than the Tour.

Route overview by ammattipyoraily:

F2mK8PFWEAA06s2

Note the bonus sprints on some of the climbs, @tobydawq!

This looks like an incredibly demanding Vuelta. The mountains are tough and there is very little respite for the GC men.
Sometimes in a Grand Tour we get a sequence of 3 days a couple of times which are classed as 'transitional stages.'

I can only see 2 consecutive stages that will not have GC action, which is stage 4 and 5.
The GC men will have to be on their toes every second day at a minimum.
Whoever wins this Vuelta will have earned it the hard way.

Reactions: Sandisfan
They haven't done that before, have they?
They had them last year too. From inrng:
There are 10-6-4 second time bonuses at the finish line of all the stages, apart from time trials.
There are also 3-2-1 seconds at the intermediate sprints for stages 2, 3, 7, 11, 12, 13, 16, 17, 19 and 21.
New for 2022 is the addition of 3-2-1 second time bonuses atop climbs in the race. These are Stage 4. Puerto de Herrera; Stage 5. Alto del Vivero (second time up); Stage 6. Collada de Brenes; Stage 8. Puerto de Tenebreo; Stage 9. La Campa; Stage 14. Puerto de Los Villares; Stage 15. Alto del Purche ; Stage 18. Alto de Piornal (1st category – first lap) and Stage 20. Puerto de la Morcuera.
As per the press kit released for the route presentation, it's the same this year, although the 'ten sprints on uphills' bit is definitely out of date.
The race will award 10, 6 and 4 seconds to the first three riders in each stage (except timetrials), and 3, 2 and 1 seconds to the
first three riders to complete each one of the nine intermediate sprints and the ten bonus sprints located on ten different uphills.

15 should be a nailed on breakaway, but yea, it's really hard.

Stage 20 is great. Might turn out not hard enough but they're trying something at least.
Agreed, stage 20 looks very interesting.......... GT organisers have been looking at ways to spice up the finales of the Grand Tours with something different. We saw it with the Planche de Belle Filles ITT in 2020, this year's mid-mountain stage in the Vosges, the Monte Lussari ITT in the Giro, Bola del Mundo in the Vuelta, Ventoux in the 2009 Tour.

Granted, some of their ideas have failed fairly flat but this year's stage 20 looks different if riders go for it. I have Remco in my mind when thinking of this stage. Maybe 5mins down after getting dominated by Vingegaard in the mountains, but launching a 100km solo attack to slip into the leader's jersey on the last day))))

Anyone else thinking of this??;)

Granted, some of their ideas have failed fairly flat but this year's stage 20 looks different if riders go for it. I have Remco in my mind when thinking of this stage. Maybe 5mins down after getting dominated by Vingegaard in the mountains, but launching a 100km solo attack to slip into the leader's jersey on the last day))))

Anyone else thinking of this??;)

Rogla on his wheel taking the overall. More realistic.

The more I look at the route, the more I like it. Its just ashame that the opening team time trail isn't an ITT, or the the main ITT isn't 10km longer. But there are some really nice stages. Its really like the stage over the Port de Larrau, that climb is a monster and is hardly used, and stage 20 looks awesome, it's a risky stage to have as a final GC stage, but it could end up being a classic. If it works out, I reckon we'll get more medium mountain final GC stages more often.

Reactions: Monte Serra