• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2024 Giro d'Italia route rumours

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sure, you can argue that Stelvio is not in fact wasted, but don't call it a forced move when others complain about it.

Stages can be longer than 240 km.
A 240k+ stage requires UCI dispensation, that is simply not happening for a major mountain stage. You also haven't explained why you think going around Stelvio would be better than going over it.

If you could start the stage after Brocon from somewhere further north and/or west in Trentino than Fiera di Primiero, you could do Manerba - Brocon on stage 15, Livigno via Stelvio on stage 16, Livigno - Val Gardena on stage 17, Val Gardena - Padova on stage 18 and the remainder as planned. That is about the only option I see that doesn't require multiple stage hosts to be changed, and it would worsen the pacing (mainly in terms of backloading) significantly. This year was simply not a great opportunity to put Stelvio in a relevant spot, and as a result a year where putting Stelvio in an irrelevant spot was the most logical option. Like I said previously, it's the one annoying thing about this route that RCS had little control over.

You also haven't explained why you think going around Stelvio would be better than going over it.
I didn't say that I think that. I simply refuted your argument that it was a forced move, and that only ignorant idiots could complain about it being wasted.

Not using Stelvio would shorten the first part of the stage by ~36 km, so it'd also give the organisers more leeway for the second half of the stage, if they so wished. It's not obvious to me that Stelvio adds more value than the alternative:

CpMHkmd.png

Reactions: zlev11
I didn't say that I think that. I simply refuted your argument that it was a forced move, and that only ignorant idiots could complain about it being wasted.

Not using Stelvio would shorten the first part of the stage by ~36 km, so it'd also give the organisers more leeway for the second half of the stage, if they so wished. It's not obvious to me that Stelvio adds more value than the alternative:

CpMHkmd.png
It is simply a case of Stelvio versus Hafling/Avelengo as the mid-stage climb there, Collalbo and the correct side of Pinei are not mutually exclusive with Stelvio whatsoever, so you don't get a better stage by not 'wasting' Stelvio. Also, the fact that the tunnel was possible in 1972 doesn't automatically mean it still is over half a century later - a) there is much more traffic in and out of Livigno nowadays, so the effect of closing the tunnel would be more severe, b) there is no sporting benefit to going around Stelvio (unlike in 1972 when it was the only way of using Stelvio from Prato), c) the Swiss authorities might also simply not be open to it anymore for all we know, and d) it would still be a bigger logistical hassle than just going over Stelvio and thereby not having to close a tunnel that already has capacity issues whilst also crossing a Schengen border twice. For all those reasons, it isn't really a credible alternative, IMO.

It is simply a case of Stelvio versus Hafling/Avelengo as the mid-stage climb there, Collalbo and the correct side of Pinei are not mutually exclusive with Stelvio whatsoever, so you don't get a better stage by not 'wasting' Stelvio. Also, the fact that the tunnel was possible in 1972 doesn't automatically mean it still is over half a century later - a) there is much more traffic in and out of Livigno nowadays, so the effect of closing the tunnel would be more severe, b) there is no sporting benefit to going around Stelvio (unlike in 1972 when it was the only way of using Stelvio from Prato), c) the Swiss authorities might also simply not be open to it anymore for all we know, and d) it would still be a bigger logistical hassle than just going over Stelvio and thereby not having to close a tunnel that already has capacity issues whilst also crossing a Schengen border twice. For all those reasons, it isn't really a credible alternative, IMO.
I love how we always complain breakaway phases being flat now Stelvio is wasted while in that part of the stage.

This route has written Remco versus Ayuso all over it. Similar to the 2009 Giro d'Italia and Menchov versus Di Luca I'm quite optimistic this could result in a close battle, despite a rather weak course design.

If both don't attend and don't seek their chance it's not the Giro d'Italia organizer's fault.

Route is a gamble. It either works off great or ends up big shart!

Have the start list ever looked worse for the Giro? Especially compared to the Tour?

Giro: Pog, Ciccone, O'Connoer, Rubio, Woods, Bardet, Caruso, Kämna, Cian, Thomas and Van Aert
Tour: Big four, both Yates brothers, Almeida, Bilbao, Landa, Kuss, Gall, Vlasov, Hindley, Ayuso, Rodriguez and Mas.

The difference in quality is just enormous!

Reactions: Sandisfan
Besides Pog, I definitely think total quality of Hindley, Carapaz, Landa, Bilbao and Nibali are a level above Ciccone, Rubio, O'Connor, Woods, Caruso, Thomas and Cian.
If you ignore Pogacar, you also need to ignore the favourite going into that Giro (i.e. Carapaz). Moreover, Nibali was just about finished, Bilbao has never been close to podiuming a GT and Hindley was not even seen as a threat for even a podium at the time. Especially without the benefit of hindsight, this field looks less weak.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I do not expect UAE will want to take the pink jersey too early so a calm start for Pogacar (or get rid of it after the first weekend). Then the problem is for Pogacar to take it easy instead of chasing down everyone who might be a danger on GC. Thomas, Caruso and Bardet are some wily old birds so I expect UAE to not have just plain sailing.

Last edited: