• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2024 Giro d'Italia route rumours

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If you ignore Pogacar, you also need to ignore the favourite going into that Giro (i.e. Carapaz). Moreover, Nibali was just about finished, Bilbao has never been close to podiuming a GT and Hindley was not even seen as a threat for even a podium at the time. Especially without the benefit of hindsight, this field looks less weak.
2022 field also had MAL, Simon Yates and Almeida and all of them were legit podium contenders.
2024 definitely has much weaker field so far.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
If Pogacar takes pink on stage 2 then it'll be difficult to give it away with flat stages that follow then the gravel stage (6) and then the ITT on 7, so Mikkel "I've got a beautiful wife" Bjerg will be a busy man (maybe another guy to help on the flat might be needed).
Do you think his challengers will put the pink in that much pressure? Yes, I know it should. But will it?

Is he even still riding the Giro? He hasn't raced since his Catalunya DNF because of sickness and isn't supposed to ride Romandie either.
That said, it wouldn't even surprise me if this week's weather and the typical Romandie weather would take a toll on the health of most gc riders who go to the Giro.
The only big one at the Tour de Romandie scheduled for the Giro d'Italia as well currently seems to be Thymen Arensman. He's on domestique duties for Bernal.

That said. It seems Arensman has bettered his issues to get his motor going? Is Thomas peaking for the Giro d'Italia or rather training before he goes to the Tour de France?

I mean if Pogacar just wins the race and from there on lets groups go it's probably Ineos job to control the peloton for either Thomas or Arensman. While the Dutchman can go on the attack as well in the last week.

With Vingegaard being a huge question mark and Uijtdebroeks himself not being fully ready for the Giro d'Italia maybe it's wise to send him to France with Kuss?

The contenders and the route of the 2024 Giro d'Italia look so weak. Pogacar going for the double seems possible currently. With Vingegaard absence in mind and given how the Dance performed at the Vuelta a Espana last fall.

By the way, it looks like Giro website has been updated and you can now find all the climbing details and final km profiles. Some small climbs towards the end of stages are harder than I thought. The new ramp at the end of stage 1 is actually pretty hard, so is the end of the sterrato stage and with the details of the final climb of stage 12 I'm at least somewhat confident that stage is not gonna be a full on bunch sprint.

This is honestly a fantastic route for puncheurs. Stages 1, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12 all have a short hill very close to the finish which could work as a point to attack.

By the way, it looks like Giro website has been updated and you can now find all the climbing details and final km profiles. Some small climbs towards the end of stages are harder than I thought. The new ramp at the end of stage 1 is actually pretty hard, so is the end of the sterrato stage and with the details of the final climb of stage 12 I'm at least somewhat confident that stage is not gonna be a full on bunch sprint.

This is honestly a fantastic route for puncheurs. Stages 1, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12 all have a short hill very close to the finish which could work as a point to attack.
Who knew they were actively designing the route for 1 rider and one rider alone?

WHO KNEW I ASK YOU

• Haha
Who knew they were actively designing the route for 1 rider and one rider alone?

WHO KNEW I ASK YOU
I mean, I see what you mean, but of these short climbs the two hardest ones were only added after Pogacar had already announced he would do the Giro, and most of the other ones aren't that interesting for him. I certainly don't expect him to attack on those 1.5km 5% bumps on stage 3 and 4, stage 12 feels like a breakaway stage to me and I'm not sure if the final climb on stage 9 is hard enough for him to bother attacking.

I was rather thinking of riders like Alaphilippe (if he was still good) or Ulissi from a few years ago.

I mean, I see what you mean, but of these short climbs the two hardest ones were only added after Pogacar had already announced he would do the Giro, and most of the other ones aren't that interesting for him. I certainly don't expect him to attack on those 1.5km 5% bumps on stage 3 and 4, stage 12 feels like a breakaway stage to me and I'm not sure if the final climb on stage 9 is hard enough for him to bother attacking.

I was rather thinking of riders like Alaphilippe (if he was still good) or Ulissi from a few years ago.
Well in 2009 they designed a Giro d'Italia route specifically for Lance Armstrong as well. Once he confirmed his participation they additionally favored him with the route. So this has all happened before.

Of course Armstrong broke his collarbone then and Menchov benefited from the route. While Levi Leipheimer threw away his golden chance to win a grand tour by not preparing properly having his eyes on a second peak for the Tour de France!