• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1113 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
cellardoor said:
Alberto looking frisky. Just staying out of trouble or does he harbour secret GC asipirations?

of course he does. he's fuccin alberto contador

good time to change my avatar. time for the double

vamooooooooooooooooooooooooos

Your prof pic, jens? It's contador on verbier right?

I still remember that face :D

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I've only truly seen AC on top shape explode 3 times in a GT

'07 galibier - Not plateau de beille, on galibier he rode away from everyone, no one could follow. Evans tried and he completely cracked. Go look back at the images, he was flying. Besides the verbier one, definitely his best acceleration ever.

'09 verbier - The numbers say it all, you can make the argument that he also explode on arcalis though and he had a headwind there.

'11 etna - Not as good as the others ones since it took him a while to get rid off rujano but he was ahead of contador, no way he could have followed that first accelaration. Was pretty insane, scarponi got completely destroyed. Nibali didn't even try to follow, smart man.

A man can dream, one last explosion this tour. I put my money on la toussuire.

Re: Re:

rhubroma said:
Taxus4a said:
In GT, Ocaña, and Fuente, were the only riders he feared, Ocaña did things that Contador is far to do. He was to beat Merkcx on Le Tour before his crash..
In clasiccs Merckx face the better generation of classic riders the history had. Van Looy, De Vlaemick,.. is Contador close to beat Boonen or Cancellara in Roubaix?

Contador is the reference the last 8 years in tours, but I cant even say he is the stronger.

We will have some answers this Tour.

Keep on with your fantasies.

It is what I have always heard to spanish people that lived that era and this one, people that were close to Ocaña and now to Contador and can talk better than me...

it is obvious the palmares of contador is really big, especially if you count all his results, but everything is not palmares, and of course is not posible to compare eras.

Re:

Taxus4a said:
In GT, Ocaña, and Fuente, were the only riders he feared, Ocaña did things that Contador is far to do. He was to beat Merkcx on Le Tour before his crash..
In clasiccs Merckx face the better generation of classic riders the history had. Van Looy, De Vlaemick,.. is Contador close to beat Boonen or Cancellara in Roubaix?

Contador is the reference the last 8 years in tours, but I cant even say he is the stronger.

I'm pretty sure that when the comparison was made in the post that you're responding to, that it was meant in the mountains of the grand tours and not in the classics since Contador has hardly featured in the classics during his career. You have to know that no one is measuring Contador's ability in one day races against Merckx. Dont' be silly.

Taxus4a said:
rhubroma said:
Taxus4a said:

It is what I have always heard to spanish people that lived that era and this one, people that were close to Ocaña and now to Contador and can talk better than me...

it is obvious the palmares of contador is really big, especially if you count all his results, but everything is not palmares, and of course is not posible to compare eras.
Oh there we go again... "I've heard from people.." just own up to it, it's your opinion.

Kwibus said:
Angliru said:
LaFlorecita said:
Kwibus said:
Ps electress your most welcome ofcourse.

La flo don't be afraid. :)
I am very afraid :p

Be at peace with your admiration for Alberto. Be proud in that you are one of many that can appreciate what he brings to the sport. I'm sure it makes him happy to see his efforts are recognized and appreciated. Just don't scream like a Justin Bieber fan when you meet him. :D We (Contador fans) want pictures!

i intend on going early to Utrecht and actually try to get some pictures with riders, allthough im afraid they wont be very accesible due to huge crowds they are expecting. I hope so though!

The reason i dont want to go with friends/family is because I want to go full cyclingnerd ;)

Well, Kwibus, I'm still seeing if I can get rid of my freelance contract in time to make the Grand Depart. It's touch and go trying to fit in the close out meeting, but if so, then I shall be in Utrecht and then go on to northern France from there, and am perfectly happy to join you in going full, unashamed cycling nerd!

I know what you mean - my brothers and friends have entirely given up on getting any sense out of me for July. ("Just don't go getting a tattoo, ok?" being the sentiment.)

And can I just say that posts like this one:

Alberto looking frisky. Just staying out of trouble or does he harbour secret GC asipirations?

of course he does. he's fuccin alberto contador

good time to change my avatar. time for the double

vamooooooooooooooooooooooooos

Make me want a 'like' button on this forum.

Think I need to get an avatar in honour of the double. All those lovely photos - such a difficult choice.

And Miburo - I so agree. If there's one thing that I really do want before he retires is a leave-everyone-begging-for-mercy-in-his-wake romp over one Alp or another, to remind us just how glorious Contador in full flight can be.

That's sort of what I want for the last year of his retirement, actually. An all-out exhibition of attacking on any stage he feels like. If he's done the double, what's another GT compared to watching Contador just racing for the sheer joy of it?

Hi! I'm a Spanish guy and for some years have been following the forum, and reluctant to join because of my not perfect English.

Just wanted to defend Eddy Merckx as best of all time. When you take into consideration Merckx palmarés, people tend to forget that the Merckx that tiranized the sport in the early and mid 70's was a cyclist limited by the terrific accident that he suffered in 1969 when he had a broken vertebra and his back and pelvis were spoiled for life.

So not only is Merckx the athlete with the best combined and individual GT and classics palmares, the scary thing is that he did that without even reaching his full potential due to a chronical injury. :eek:

P.D: ¡Vamos Alberto a por el doblete! :)

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:

'07 galibier - Not plateau de beille, on galibier he rode away from everyone, no one could follow. Evans tried and he completely cracked. Go look back at the images, he was flying. Besides the verbier one, definitely his best acceleration ever.

'09 verbier - The numbers say it all, you can make the argument that he also explode on arcalis though and he had a headwind there.

'11 etna - Not as good as the others ones since it took him a while to get rid off rujano but he was ahead of contador, no way he could have followed that first accelaration. Was pretty insane, scarponi got completely destroyed. Nibali didn't even try to follow, smart man.

Montagne de lure 09', Angliru 08'

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Taxus4a said:
rhubroma said:
Taxus4a said:

Oh there we go again... "I've heard from people.." just own up to it, it's your opinion.

Yes, He is always trying to play that card... while he has to realize that that statement doesnt make his post more valid, just make him look like a fool...

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

BlurryVII said:
Miburo said:

GT, contador 2008 wasn't at his best.

Miburo said:
BlurryVII said:
Miburo said:

GT, contador 2008 wasn't at his best.

indeed. Leipheimer was better that Vuelta

KyoGrey said:
Hi! I'm a Spanish guy and for some years have been following the forum, and reluctant to join because of my not perfect English.

Just wanted to defend Eddy Merckx as best of all time. When you take into consideration Merckx palmarés, people tend to forget that the Merckx that tiranized the sport in the early and mid 70's was a cyclist limited by the terrific accident that he suffered in 1969 when he had a broken vertebra and his back and pelvis were spoiled for life.

So not only is Merckx the athlete with the best combined and individual GT and classics palmares, the scary thing is that he did that without even reaching his full potential due to a chronical injury. :eek:

Nobody was denegrating Merckx, but only arguing that in today's sport he and his generation (if talking about his competition), since they would be racing today against stiffer competition, better athletes 360° around; nobody can dominate the sport today like he did then. Punto e basta.

As far has his accident goes, not that it matters, but I've broken two vertebre in a cycling accident with a delivery truck. It's a whopping amount of pain the first month and, even today, I have pain if I'm seated for too long in normal chairs (the two vertebre in question will remain fractured for life, such is the outcome of a compression fracture, hence a chronic injury), but I was back on the bike after 5 months and raced again after 7 months. Appart from the loss of fitness, which was recuperable, riding wasn't affected and thus I doubt Merckx didn't reach his full potential as the myth would like us to believe.

rhubroma said:
KyoGrey said:

Nobody was denegrating Merckx, but only arguing that in today's sport he and his generation (if talking about his competition), since they would be racing today against stiffer competition, better athletes 360° around; nobody can dominate the sport today like he did then. Punto e basta.

As far has his accident goes, not that it matters, but I've broken two vertebre in a cycling accident with a delivery truck. It's a whopping amount of pain the first month and, even today, I have pain if I'm seated for too long in normal chairs (the two vertebre in question will remain fractured for life, such is the outcome of a compression fracture, hence a chronic injury), but I was back on the bike after 5 months and raced again after 7 months. Appart from the loss of fitness, which was recuperable, riding wasn't affected and thus I doubt Merckx didn't reach his full potential as the myth would like us to believe.

i think he did reach his full potential, but only up until 69, he was never as dominant after that.

this comparison is weird, we can't know what eddie could have done with the training, equipment and nutritional advances. he was overweight compared to todays GC riders, but there is nothing to suggest he couldn't have lost it while maintaining power.

Eddie was Great, Alberto is great, the end!

rhubroma said:
KyoGrey said:

Ahh, I see what you mean. I agree, in todays cycling Merckx would have to specialize and peak for certain races, winning less races per year. On the other side, he would be able to enjoy a longer and more healhy career thanks to modern preparation and medicine, so in the end it is mere speculation to say that Merckx would have a worst palmares had he competed today, at least GT wise.

I`m sorry for your back. Cheers.

May 26, 2009
Visit site

Kwibus said:
LaFlorecita said:
Electress said:
What, do you think you might feel a bit self conscious standing under a giant banner like that?!
just slightly :p

:D
What if he sees it and thinks that's awesome and comes over for picture together with you?

Could also go without the banner ;)

Piet can't go and meet Contador. He has a restraining order and Piet is not allowed within 2000 meters of him. Also Contador doesn't like people with ginger hair :D

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
rhubroma said:
arvc40 said:
Comparing Contador to Merckx is like comparing 35 mm film to digital.

What BS. This only demonstrates how people are more subject to fantasy than reason.

The athletes are so much better today that this point is totally moot.

I just meant that for me its a waste of time. Not into comparing Athletes through the agaes.

Singer01 said:
rhubroma said:
KyoGrey said:

i think he did reach his full potential, but only up until 69, he was never as dominant after that.

this comparison is weird, we can't know what eddie could have done with the training, equipment and nutritional advances. he was overweight compared to todays GC riders, but there is nothing to suggest he couldn't have lost it while maintaining power.

Eddie was Great, Alberto is great, the end!

In fact this is what started all this business in the first place, when someone said Merckx was just way too huge or something to that effect, as if today's riders pale in comparison.

I simply pointed out that the comparison is a misguided one. Eddie was a giant, but his era can't be compared with today's. No, we can't know what Merckx could have done with today's training, equipment and nutritional advances, however, it is reasonable to assume that the athletes today are reaching the limits of human capacity (at least from a theoretical, physiological point of view - who knows, though, what science will come up with in the future). Consequently this establishes a threashold that is so high that to win requires total focus in an area of specialization. In fact the sport has moved, for better or worse, in the direction of intensive specialization. In Merckx's era they didn't do this, because it wasn't necessary, because the sport was interpreted in a totally different way and they thus didn't arrive at the peaks of fitness today's rider's do in the various disciplines.

So as you say, Eddie was great, Alberto is great, the end!!

arvc40 said:
rhubroma said:
arvc40 said:
Comparing Contador to Merckx is like comparing 35 mm film to digital.

What BS. This only demonstrates how people are more subject to fantasy than reason.

The athletes are so much better today that this point is totally moot.

I just meant that for me its a waste of time. Not into comparing Athletes through the agaes.

Pardon me then, I didn't read it that way my bad. :eek:

KyoGrey said:
rhubroma said:
KyoGrey said:

Ahh, I see what you mean. I agree, in todays cycling Merckx would have to specialize and peak for certain races, winning less races per year. On the other side, he would be able to enjoy a longer and more healhy career thanks to modern preparation and medicine, so in the end it is mere speculation to say that Merckx would have a worst palmares had he competed today, at least GT wise.

I`m sorry for your back. Cheers.

Thanks! I'm still convinced that Merckx could not win half the races he did today, primarily because he couldn't compete in so many races today without getting crushed, and I'm not even convinced that in today's GTs his physical attributes would be advantages in the mountains against the current crop of GC greats. I see Merckx today as a great classics rider primarily.

TRENDING THREADS