• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1554 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 13, 2015
Visit site
2014 » 69th Vuelta a España (2.UWT)
Stage 10 (ITT) » Real Monasterio de Santa María de Veruela › Borja (36.7k)

1 MARTINTonyOmega Pharma - Quick-Step 47:02
2URANRigobertoOmega Pharma - Quick-Step 0:15
3CANCELLARAFabianTrek Factory Racing 0:18
4CONTADORAlbertoTinkoff - Saxo 0:39
5SÁNCHEZSamuelBMC Racing Team 80:48
6EVANSCadelBMC Racing Team 0:49
7KIRYIENKAVasilTeam Sky 0:57
8VALVERDEAlejandroMovistar Team 1:00
9SERGENTJesseTrek Factory Racing 1:13
10FROOMEChristopherTeam Sky 1:32

http://www.vueltaburgos.com/

Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Angliru said:
PremierAndrew said:
Red Rick said:
Events, interpretations, wishes, extrapolations. Obviously, in the dream world in which we unfortunately don't live in our favourite rider always wins if only he'd stayed on his bike, hit peak shape, or yadayadayada. We won't know what would've happened, I just know that I assumed both Froome and Quintana would have been stronger compared to the rest of the field. Maybe that rest of the field is stronger. Maybe Froome couldn't bother to drop Porte and Mollema.

Only assumption I'd make is that Contador would be 'up there'. Wherever that is.

No need for froome to attack porte and mollema with no stage win available and the TT tomorrow

There was no need for him to attack with Sagan, Thomas and the other Tinkoff rider with Ventoux looming the following day but he did anyway. He had to know that he had no chance of the stage win with Sagan there. The opportunity to gain time is always a reason to attack. The fact that he and Sky are always integrating into the front of the on flat sprint stages, often catching his opponents unawares and occasionally taking time should be evidence enough that he and his team are opportunists and can't be given the slight bit of rope in terms of one's attention. The slightest lack of focus could mean minutes lost.

He attacked with Sagan to gain time on Quintana, his main threat. What was the point of attacking Porte and Mollema when he could just ride at a constant tempo and increase his advantage on Quintana?

Wrong thread.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

movingtarget said:
The Contador thread has become an exercise in nostalgia. He would have he could have he should have. At least when the Vuelta starts there will be something to actually discuss.

Sorry, i couldn't help myself :(

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Re:

movingtarget said:
The Contador thread has become an exercise in nostalgia. He would have he could have he should have. At least when the Vuelta starts there will be something to actually discuss.

Have to agree with you. Stuff like "If this was 2009 or 2014 , he would be in the yellow jersey, no problem".
So many wouldas, shouldas...kinda boring and repetitive. It's just comes across as sour grapes and shows lack of respect to Froome, Mollema, etc.

I will still be rooting for Contador at the Vuelta. Just wish his other fans could be a bit more gracious toward the opposition.

buchanan said:
movingtarget said:

Have to agree with you. Stuff like "If this was 2009 or 2014 , he would be in the yellow jersey, no problem".
So many wouldas, shouldas...kinda boring and repetitive. It's just comes across as sour grapes and shows lack of respect to Froome, Mollema, etc.

I will still be rooting for Contador at the Vuelta. Just wish his other fans could be a bit more gracious toward the opposition.

giphy.gif

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Pantani Attacks said:
buchanan said:
movingtarget said:

giphy.gif

:D Well, you have to admit Mollema is riding very well. He's obviously gone up a level. Riding way better than Quintana. However Froome is just unbeatable out of the GC riders. Best uphill, best downhill, best in crosswinds, best in TT's.

I think the Contador fans must forget the virtual Contador they seem to be imagining is still riding in this Tour - in the yellow jersey of course and winning all the key stages.

I look to the Vuelta. I just hope he can recover and train to be in absolute peak shape for that event. And most important of all - not crash!

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Oh man :( he would have done so well today

Don't fleur, don't. It's too painful i know, he would have crushed this, not beat dumoulin but definitely Froome.

This is the second time this happened, why can't he crash out when he sucks? :(

The vuelta won't ease the pain, it'll always be there until he wins the tour again

There, Contador is a moral winner of Tour 2014, 2016, and now has 48846 GT wins. He is best downhill, uphill, most agressive, best TTer, far better than Dumoulin, can totally get through a roundabout without falling off the bike. Are all of you living in a fantasy world happy now? Can this thread get back to reality?

Miburo said:
LaFlorecita said:
Oh man :( he would have done so well today

Don't fleur, don't. It's too painful i know, he would have crushed this, not beat dumoulin but definitely Froome.

This is the second time this happened, why can't he crash out when he sucks? :(

The vuelta won't ease the pain, it'll always be there until he wins the tour again
essential amendment is that ac would have needed a perfect shape to deliver such a result

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Re:

damian13ster said:
There, Contador is a moral winner of Tour 2014, 2016, and now has 48846 GT wins. He is best downhill, uphill, most agressive, best TTer, far better than Dumoulin, can totally get through a roundabout without falling off the bike. Are all of you living in a fantasy world happy now? Can this thread get back to reality?

Lol, it might surprise you that this is closer to the truth than what some delusional haters are posting. :lol: This Tour needs Contador.

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Re:

damian13ster said:

Lol, that pretty much sums up this thread. This thread is like an alternative universe where Contador won every Tour since 2009. If only he didn't crash, didn't ride the Giro before, etc.etc...If only...

Edit: And appears one is a 'delusional hater' for not thinking the same. :D

buchanan said:
damian13ster said:

Lol, that pretty much sums up this thread. This thread is like an alternative universe where Contador won every Tour since 2009. If only he didn't crash, didn't ride the Giro before, etc.etc...If only...

Well, each and every time they're legit arguments. Theres vey few people arguing what you're saying. Kaybe you should look past what happens in the month of July

moi123 said:
damian13ster said:

Lol, it might surprise you that this is closer to the truth than what some delusional haters are posting. :lol: This Tour needs Contador.

This Tour had Contador, but the guy failed at handling the bike, arrived in questionable shape, got dropped all over the place, and then gave up instead of helping teammates.

Those arguments are absolutely bogus whether you look just at repeated failures in July or at his season, where he won only one WT race and got beaten by Sky in all other races. No matter what kind of rose-colored glasses you wear, the discussion and posts here are detached from reality and down-right delusional

damian13ster said:
moi123 said:
damian13ster said:

This Tour had Contador, but the guy failed at handling the bike, arrived in questionable shape, got dropped all over the place, and then gave up instead of helping teammates.
Do you have any more?