• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1555 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
buchanan said:
damian13ster said:
There, Contador is a moral winner of Tour 2014, 2016, and now has 48846 GT wins. He is best downhill, uphill, most agressive, best TTer, far better than Dumoulin, can totally get through a roundabout without falling off the bike. Are all of you living in a fantasy world happy now? Can this thread get back to reality?

Lol, that pretty much sums up this thread. This thread is like an alternative universe where Contador won every Tour since 2009. If only he didn't crash, didn't ride the Giro before, etc.etc...If only...

Well, each and every time they're legit arguments. Theres vey few people arguing what you're saying. Kaybe you should look past what happens in the month of July

Remind me what 2013's legit argument was again, please?

buchanan said:
Red Rick said:
buchanan said:
damian13ster said:
There, Contador is a moral winner of Tour 2014, 2016, and now has 48846 GT wins. He is best downhill, uphill, most agressive, best TTer, far better than Dumoulin, can totally get through a roundabout without falling off the bike. Are all of you living in a fantasy world happy now? Can this thread get back to reality?

Lol, that pretty much sums up this thread. This thread is like an alternative universe where Contador won every Tour since 2009. If only he didn't crash, didn't ride the Giro before, etc.etc...If only...

Well, each and every time they're legit arguments. Theres vey few people arguing what you're saying. Kaybe you should look past what happens in the month of July

He was crap. His own fault. Doesnt mean anything regarding other years, like this one.
He was great in the spring. He was ok in the Dauphine, the base was clearly there

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Red Rick said:
buchanan said:
Red Rick said:
buchanan said:
damian13ster said:

He was crap. His own fault. Doesnt mean anything regarding other years, like this one.
He was great in the spring. He was ok in the Dauphine, the base was clearly there

For the record, I agree with you that he could have done well this year. 2nd place or a podium quite possible. But I don't think he has it in him these days to beat Froome at the Tour.
I can't help but chuckle when Miburo and some of the others declare that he would have cleaned up with ease. It's all wild imaginary hypothetical scenarios.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Questionable shape? Hahahaha, the guy was second in the UCI-ranking, had a good dauphine for him.

This ain't the Froome from 2013, Contador could have taken him. He didn't even need his godly shape for it.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Contador didn't need godmode shape to do a great ITT. It's already the second week, after a very hard stage.

Look at the giro, the ITT was only one day later and he crushed it. Would have won if it wasn't for the wind defeating the world champ.

And there were barely hills on it, this was more hilly, ok it's the tour so better competiton but still.

In godmode shape he might have won it, idk about that but the past shows that in this kinda ITT at this point in the GT Contador doesn't need godmode to perform really well.

I know all his ITT, you can book it. He would have been equal with Froome.

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
Questionable shape? Hahahaha, the guy was second in the UCI-ranking, had a good dauphine for him.

This ain't the Froome from 2013, Contador could have taken him. He didn't even need his godly shape for it.

But we'll never know because he couldn't stay upright on his bike. And that's the end of the story.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

trucido said:
Miburo said:

But we'll never know because he couldn't stay upright on his bike. And that's the end of the story.

The second crash might have cost him more, and there was nothing he could do about it. Let people dwell in what if.

That's what humans do, if you don't like it, fine by me. Then you don't do it, idc, you can even feel superior about it, i hope you do if it makes you feel better then all power to you.

But i think what I want, if you've a rational argument to bring to the what if situation at hand, then yea let me hear it. I ain't stopping my what if, just like you won't stop your hate for it.

a free world is nice

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

buchanan said:
Pantani Attacks said:
buchanan said:
movingtarget said:
The Contador thread has become an exercise in nostalgia. He would have he could have he should have. At least when the Vuelta starts there will be something to actually discuss.

Have to agree with you. Stuff like "If this was 2009 or 2014 , he would be in the yellow jersey, no problem".
So many wouldas, shouldas...kinda boring and repetitive. It's just comes across as sour grapes and shows lack of respect to Froome, Mollema, etc.

I will still be rooting for Contador at the Vuelta. Just wish his other fans could be a bit more gracious toward the opposition.

giphy.gif

:D Well, you have to admit Mollema is riding very well. He's obviously gone up a level. Riding way better than Quintana. However Froome is just unbeatable out of the GC riders. Best uphill, best downhill, best in crosswinds, best in TT's.

I think the Contador fans must forget the virtual Contador they seem to be imagining is still riding in this Tour - in the yellow jersey of course and winning all the key stages.

I look to the Vuelta. I just hope he can recover and train to be in absolute peak shape for that event. And most important of all - not crash!

I am not sure Mollema has gone up in level. He appears to be the same he has always been in the Tour De France a top 5 to top 10 rider. What Contador fans forget is in the two tours Contador and Mollema both finished they rode at a similar level. Mollema was dropping Contador in the mountains in 2013 and Contador only passed Mollema in GC during the third week when Mollema became ill and dropped in the standings. Last year Mollema finished 7th to Contador's 5th. To suddenly say Mollema is a revelation is a stretch. He is what has always been a top 5 to top 10 rider that will likely struggle in the third week of a grand tour.

I wonder who is Contador going to compete against in Vuelta Burgos. This year there are 12 world tour teams and because of this I think we can expect some decent riders to participate who will probably be prepearing for Vuelta as well.
I'm hoping to see Lopez there.

moi123 said:
damian13ster said:

Lol, it might surprise you that this is closer to the truth than what some delusional haters are posting. :lol: This Tour needs Contador.

Somehow both of you have point :D

damian13ster said:
moi123 said:
damian13ster said:

Lol, it might surprise you that this is closer to the truth than what some delusional haters are posting. :lol: This Tour needs Contador.

This Tour had Contador, but the guy failed at handling the bike, arrived in questionable shape, got dropped all over the place, and then gave up instead of helping teammates.

Those arguments are absolutely bogus whether you look just at repeated failures in July or at his season, where he won only one WT race and got beaten by Sky in all other races. No matter what kind of rose-colored glasses you wear, the discussion and posts here are detached from reality and down-right delusional

I have finally understood all the mastermind of Tinkoff team - TdF16. AC has arrived in a questionable shape (how do you know that? Had he showed a questionable shape in the first stage before he crashed?) and he GAVE UP instead of helping teammates. The sweet super teammates that deserve so much for helping AC not to lose time for example stage 2. The selfish AC bastard went home to heal his pathetic silly wounds instead of helping Rafal Majka win KoM and Roman Kreuziger finish in top 50.

Oh.

I dont really see in Valverde that to ride il Giro is a problem to show his level, he is working and he is showing a level similar at his last 2 years. I dont say than Giro is the best prep for le tour, but it is not a big problem for riders with good recovery and quality as Contador, Froome, Quintana, Valverde,...and I think that is similar to beat a good level in la Vuelta after le Tour.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I said it before the tour and i'll say it again. Contador was planning on winning the tour in the ITT's.

His recent tweet clearly indicates that aswell, not the most exciting plan of course but at this point in his career it was the most efficient way

Bertie had legs to continue the Tour and try to recover to be competitive for the stage wins in week 3 at least. He simply chose not to spoil his image by losing 5-7 minutes on arcalis which seemed inevitable. No doubt, that was by far the best decision for saving the season in the Vuelta, but still not the optimal one for his tour 2017 prospects.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

dacooley said:
Bertie had legs to continue the Tour and try to recover to be competitive for the stage wins in week 3 at least. He simply chose not to spoil his image by losing 5-7 minutes on arcalis which seemed inevitable. No doubt, that was by far the best decision for saving the season in the Vuelta, but still not the optimal one for his tour 2017 prospects.

It sucks that he didn't get better, even though he had that crash. I believe that even if he would 4 min behind at this point, he could have still won if he reached top shape at the end. Very small could but was still in the realms of reality.

Re:

dacooley said:

If one's doctor says that it would take 2-3 weeks off of the bike to recover from one's injuries how do you translate that into him being potentially able to recover to be competitive for stage wins in week 3 while continuing to ride 100+ kms per stage? Am I misunderstanding your post? The fact that you state that his primary reason for pulling out of the Tour was to avoid spoiling his image, not his injuries leaves you with no credibility with me.

I have finally understood all the mastermind of Tinkoff team - TdF16. AC has arrived in a questionable shape (how do you know that? Had he showed a questionable shape in the first stage before he crashed?) and he GAVE UP instead of helping teammates. The sweet super teammates that deserve so much for helping AC not to lose time for example stage 2. The selfish AC bastard went home to heal his pathetic silly wounds instead of helping Rafal Majka win KoM and Roman Kreuziger finish in top 50.

Oh.[/quote]

Have you ever crashed at high speed and slid over a curb? (Silly wounds)

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
could have, would have, probably have....thats what the Contador discussion has become. AC fans seem to live an alternative universe. I am still not over the 2014 acclaimed super form AT the TDF. Are you kidding? He was over 2 minutes behind an absolutely in form Nibali. Just like Quintana was in super form BEFORE the 2016 TDF now we see he is 2 minutes behind, can we say he IS in super form for the TDF?

I had my doubts about Bertie before this TDF, I just did not see him beating Froome or Quintana, now I am convinced the exit was a savior from embarrassment. Its a mental thing, as well as a physical thing. Oh...I am a Bertie fan, but really, lets get real.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
I honestly think without injury he would have won this tour Froome is subpar and the rest are worse, what a shame always next year I guess but how many years has he got left in the tank?