• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1553 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Kokoso said:
Pennino said:
But I agree that it would have looked very, very good for Alberto. Such a bloody shame.
He could fight for top five is he stayed healthy. Shame for him, it woudl be nice result.

Thats the most stupidest thing I've heard today (I just woke up, but still).

The level has hardly been astonishing so far. As I've said earlier, his chances would've been better than expected beforehand if not for the crash obviously.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Kokoso said:
Pennino said:
But I agree that it would have looked very, very good for Alberto. Such a bloody shame.
He could fight for top five is he stayed healthy. Shame for him, it woudl be nice result.

Thats the most stupidest thing I've heard today (I just woke up, but still).

The level has hardly been astonishing so far. As I've said earlier, his chances would've been better than expected beforehand if not for the crash obviously.
It's all relative, you know. In his best shape ever he was 4th and opponents are the same and there are new one.
Don't use word stupid so easily. Or do you think you are the one with clever and right opinions?

Kokoso said:
It's all relative, you know. In his best shape ever he was 4th and opponents are the same and there are new one.
Don't use word stupid so easily. Or do you think you are the one with clever and right opinions?
Of course he wasn't in his best shape ever in 2014, his numbers were well down compared to previous years.

I looked at the Tour's last week in detail a few days ago, it would have been perfect for him :(

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Kokoso said:
Of course he wasn't in his best shape ever in 2014, his numbers were well down compared to previous years.

I looked at the Tour's last week in detail a few days ago, it would have been perfect for him :(
He said his numbers are best ever back than. Was he lying or what?

Kokoso said:
LaFlorecita said:
Kokoso said:

I think she was talking about 2013.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Yea i'm sure of it now, he would have crushed this tour. He's prob in tears watching how the race unfolds.

He was still a top 20 climber with breaks in his leg and a hurt shoulder.

Man oh man, i'm not sure if i'll ever get over this. I think this is even worse than tour 2014, because now his opponents were quintana and froome. Jesus.

Re:

Miburo said:
Yea i'm sure of it now, he would have crushed this tour. He's prob in tears watching how the race unfolds.

He was still a top 20 climber with breaks in his leg and a hurt shoulder.

Man oh man, i'm not sure if i'll ever get over this. I think this is even worse than tour 2014, because now his opponents were quintana and froome. Jesus.
Yeah he would have a great chance for victory :(

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
He was in perfect shape in the dauphine. His ITT this year was great, at least hilly and this ITT suits him pretty damn well.

And he would have destroyed the MTT next week. FFS, why always him in the tour cycling gods? What did the man do to deserve this? :(

Freaking mollemma was the best rider yesterday, jesus man. Fleur will never get over this, and me neither

Re:

Miburo said:
He was in perfect shape in the dauphine. His ITT this year was great, at least hilly and this ITT suits him pretty damn well.

And he would have destroyed the MTT next week. FFS, why always him in the tour cycling gods? What did the man do to deserve this? :(

Freaking mollemma was the best rider yesterday, jesus man. Fleur will never get over this, and me neither
I hope that at least Quintana doesn't win.But yeah once again crashing on a great form :(

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Forever The Best said:
Kokoso said:
LaFlorecita said:
Kokoso said:

I think she was talking about 2013.
Exactly. I remember that correctly, right?

To tell your opinion is called trolling these days? Just because you disagree, or have different opininon? Guys, get your **** together, you are acting like kids.

PremierAndrew said:
Red Rick said:
Events, interpretations, wishes, extrapolations. Obviously, in the dream world in which we unfortunately don't live in our favourite rider always wins if only he'd stayed on his bike, hit peak shape, or yadayadayada. We won't know what would've happened, I just know that I assumed both Froome and Quintana would have been stronger compared to the rest of the field. Maybe that rest of the field is stronger. Maybe Froome couldn't bother to drop Porte and Mollema.

Only assumption I'd make is that Contador would be 'up there'. Wherever that is.

No need for froome to attack porte and mollema with no stage win available and the TT tomorrow

There was no need for him to attack with Sagan, Thomas and the other Tinkoff rider with Ventoux looming the following day but he did anyway. He had to know that he had no chance of the stage win with Sagan there. The opportunity to gain time is always a reason to attack. The fact that he and Sky are always integrating into the front of the peloton on flat sprint stages, often catching his opponents unawares and occasionally taking time should be evidence enough that he and his team are opportunists and can't be given the slight bit of rope in terms of one's attention. The slightest lack of focus could mean minutes lost.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
Let's try and keep this friendly, shall we. Seems to me there's no point arguing if you're never agreeing anyway, so let's leave it at that.
I think it's better to react directly, not generally, when you are mod.

Kokoso said:
LaFlorecita said:
Kokoso said:

"Numbers" don't always equate to a stellar performance. There too many other variables that come into play. Especially at his age.

Angliru said:
PremierAndrew said:
Red Rick said:
Events, interpretations, wishes, extrapolations. Obviously, in the dream world in which we unfortunately don't live in our favourite rider always wins if only he'd stayed on his bike, hit peak shape, or yadayadayada. We won't know what would've happened, I just know that I assumed both Froome and Quintana would have been stronger compared to the rest of the field. Maybe that rest of the field is stronger. Maybe Froome couldn't bother to drop Porte and Mollema.

Only assumption I'd make is that Contador would be 'up there'. Wherever that is.

No need for froome to attack porte and mollema with no stage win available and the TT tomorrow

There was no need for him to attack with Sagan, Thomas and the other Tinkoff rider with Ventoux looming the following day but he did anyway. He had to know that he had no chance of the stage win with Sagan there. The opportunity to gain time is always a reason to attack. The fact that he and Sky are always integrating into the front of the on flat sprint stages, often catching his opponents unawares and occasionally taking time should be evidence enough that he and his team are opportunists and can't be given the slight bit of rope in terms of one's attention. The slightest lack of focus could mean minutes lost.

He attacked with Sagan to gain time on Quintana, his main threat. What was the point of attacking Porte and Mollema when he could just ride at a constant tempo and increase his advantage on Quintana?

May 13, 2015
Visit site
This was an excellent stage for Alberto; through your profile and distance .... in these parameters has made great lap times (examples VUELTA A ESPAÑA 2012 and 14)

2012 » 67th Vuelta a Espana (WT)
Stage 11
(ITT) » Cambados › Pontevedra (39.4k)

1 KESSIAKOFFFredrikAstana Pro Team 52:36
2 CONTADORAlbertoTeam Saxo Bank - Tinkoff Bank 00:17
3 FROOMEChristopherSky Procycling 0:39
4VALVERDEAlejandroMovistar Team 1:08
5INTXAUSTIBeñatMovistar Team 1:09
6PORTERichieSky Procycling 1:15
7RODRÍGUEZJoaquimTeam Katusha 1:16
8MEYERCameronOrica GreenEDGE 1:17
9TALANSKYAndrewGarmin Sharp 1:24