• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1927 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Moves into top-10, I think

Not great but from the way he looked, I expected him to drop way earlier, so I'm quite happy. He still was one of the few to try an attack, chapeau. Onwards and upwards.
Pretty much just sat on Nibali's wheel didnt he?
No...
Looked like he went onto Nibali's wheel and then really didn't have the legs to contribute much to the break (would have been suicide anyways), but yeah, I guess thats an attack.
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Moves into top-10, I think

Not great but from the way he looked, I expected him to drop way earlier, so I'm quite happy. He still was one of the few to try an attack, chapeau. Onwards and upwards.
Pretty much just sat on Nibali's wheel didnt he?
No...
Looked like he went onto Nibali's wheel and then really didn't have the legs to contribute much to the break (would have been suicide anyways), but yeah, I guess thats an attack.
You must have missed him attacking with Nibali on his wheel a few minutes before Nibali's attack, I guess.
 
Slightly disappointing finish for Contador today; it looked like with 3km to go he had a great chance to get that long awaited stage win. But I think he picked the wrong wheel in following Froome - who seemed to be playing with him a bit, before dropping him easily. Perhaps Contador just didn't have the legs to follow Nibali though, but it's a shame he didn't try something more when the road kicked up.
 
Re:

DFA123 said:
Slightly disappointing finish for Contador today; it looked like with 3km to go he had a great chance to get that long awaited stage win. But I think he picked the wrong wheel in following Froome - who seemed to be playing with him a bit, before dropping him easily. Perhaps Contador just didn't have the legs to follow Nibali though, but it's a shame he didn't try something more when the road kicked up.
He really got obsessed with Froome's ass since Chris's emergence. Seems like his goal is just try to hold on to it as long as possible. I also think he would do better today not dropping off with Froome and staying at the front of the group instead but oh well. Maybe he will get his stage but it's less and less likely as each stage passes and fresh stage-hunters get into the mix from both breakaways and GC groups (see Lopez today)
 
Jul 6, 2016
599
1
0
Visit site
Don't know what to think. Passed a lot of guys which is good, but this stage pisses me off once again. Guess I would be happy with a podium even just holding on as long as possible on robot's wheel. Being the best human is also ok, I presume.
 
Feb 17, 2017
452
0
0
Visit site
Good ride from Alberto. A shame he didn't (couldn't follow) Nibali when he attacked. Still an outside chance of a podium here with the time trial coming. Only Nibali, Froome and Kelderman looked stronger today of the GC contenders and I have a feeling the latter two will fade..
 
Re:

DFA123 said:
Slightly disappointing finish for Contador today; it looked like with 3km to go he had a great chance to get that long awaited stage win. But I think he picked the wrong wheel in following Froome - who seemed to be playing with him a bit, before dropping him easily. Perhaps Contador just didn't have the legs to follow Nibali though, but it's a shame he didn't try something more when the road kicked up.
Yes with 3km to go when everyone was still together he was in with a chance but in those 3km it became clear he didn't have the legs. If he had sat on Nibali's wheel he might have lost a few seconds less - no way he would have won..he didn't try something more because he couldn't, that was obvious. Or do you also think Zakarin should have tried more, after all he looked good with 3km to go?
 
Aug 16, 2013
7,619
2
0
Visit site
I think he has ridden really well the last stages. I don't think he can perform any better, GC-wise. But in order to win a stage, he needs to change armery. He's not going to win a mountain stage by following the other GC-guys. Froome, Nibali, Lopez will all be better in the final week.

Maybe just forget about a minor GC-place and trying to win a stage by joining a break?
 
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Scarponi said:
Cycling is brutal. Literally missing 2% of his old self and he rides with nibs and froome.

It's called the aging athlete. Even Froome isn't what he was.
Agreed it's weird to see cycling at the moment. No one is dropping a massive attack and sticking anymore. This year the biggest wins were maybe Quints on blockhaus, A Non relevant GC Porte at Nice and Spilak grinding at a low quality Suisse.
 
Feb 17, 2017
452
0
0
Visit site
Re:

Arredondo said:
I think he has ridden really well the last stages. I don't think he can perform any better, GC-wise. But in order to win a stage, he needs to change armery. He's not going to win a mountain stage by following the other GC-guys. Froome, Nibali, Lopez will all be better in the final week.

Maybe just forget about a minor GC-place and trying to win a stage by joining a break?

Of course he can still win a stage and go for the podium. He just needs a good day and the other guys to look at its other.
 
Aug 16, 2013
7,619
2
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

Climber123 said:
Arredondo said:
I think he has ridden really well the last stages. I don't think he can perform any better, GC-wise. But in order to win a stage, he needs to change armery. He's not going to win a mountain stage by following the other GC-guys. Froome, Nibali, Lopez will all be better in the final week.

Maybe just forget about a minor GC-place and trying to win a stage by joining a break?

Of course he can still win a stage and go for the podium. He just needs a good day and the other guys to look at its other.

You really think he will reach the podium and win a stage by following the other GC-guys?