• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 421 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
From LeTour live ticker:
Rogers on Contador: "He was yelling: 'Come on...! One more turn!"

When LeTour.fr spoke with Michael Rogers yesterday evening we ask if he could offer some comments about Alberto and how he handled the stage? “He was just great," said Rogers about the Spaniard who is now third overall. "He was motivating us and yelling in the radio, ‘Come on! One more turn! One more turn each! Come on! Faster, faster… faster!' He was certainly a great guy to work for. It's really nice to have something like that with the whole team.

“In cycling there is one thing you kind of miss; it is a team sport but there's not always the gratification of the whole team. But when we do something like we did in stage 13, it really bonds the team together and I must say it was a similar feeling to what I had in 2009 with HTC. You end the day feeling extremely satisfied and it's amazing how much more you can give when you've got not a lot of guys behind you and they're all hurting... everyone is hurting together and they're on their last legs but they manage to pull more out of themselves.”

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Frome letour.fr:

Rogers on Contador: "He was yelling: 'Come on...! One more turn!"
When LeTour.fr spoke with Michael Rogers yesterday evening we ask if he could offer some comments about Alberto and how he handled the stage? “He was just great," said Rogers about the Spaniard who is now third overall. "He was motivating us and yelling in the radio, ‘Come on! One more turn! One more turn each! Come on! Faster, faster… faster!' He was certainly a great guy to work for. It's really nice to have something like that with the whole team.

“In cycling there is one thing you kind of miss; it is a team sport but there's not always the gratification of the whole team. But when we do something like we did in stage 13, it really bonds the team together and I must say it was a similar feeling to what I had in 2009 with HTC. You end the day feeling extremely satisfied and it's amazing how much more you can give when you've got not a lot of guys behind you and they're all hurting... everyone is hurting together and they're on their last legs but they manage to pull more out of themselves.”

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
murali said:
i think froome has made up his mind tht he is going tp go defensive from now on, except the ITT

Not a chance, he´s so focused on showboating and try to dominate AC that he can´t help it. And it will be his downfall if any.

ILovecycling said:
Thats not possible Carols,and you know it.:)If he will win it ,it will be through his sheer willpower and thats Great:)

If the Flame is still Burning it is possible, it becomes only a question of form then. His grinta, race savvy and spirit won him the Vuelta but he wasn't up against the new, improved alien Froome then. Froome can get himself beaten though but maybe he isn't so overconfident now.....

notrolfsorensen said:
According to Claus Elming (reporter at danish TV) rumour has it that Contador had forgotten to eat on stage 8, and is possibly alot stronger in the mountains than that stage would show. If he is, then he might actually be able to ride away from Froome. A Contador victory tomorrow, and maybe 45 seconds could mean the world for this tour. If he takes around 40 seconds on each of the remaining stages he will end up winning. BUT thats a lot.

If he bonked he would have said so by now I think. He has never been afraid to admit that before.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Carols said:
What we saw in the TTT, ITT staying with the front group on the 5 climb stage and yesterday certainly leads one to believe there is more in there than we saw on Ax-3.

Hmmmm Riis´s first reaction was saying AC wasn´t where he was supposed to be form wise, so I doubt it.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
jilbiker said:
I agree totally with the article. I have said this since last year, Froome does not have the smarts to win majors. I said the same thing about ASchleck too.

Rollthedice said:
He doesn't have a clue. Only if Froome cracks big time, Alberto has a chance. This would mean 4 minutes combined from the three mountain finish stages left or one big flop a la Hesyedal in Giro after the TT. But to be honest Froome just have to follow his wheels if he's smart (he didn't prove that until now...)

Capt Superman does not follow wheels, he crushes wheels for breakfast, that is what Froome thinks about himself. What will crack Froome is when that fantasy image is broken with by an Alberto sustained attacked (we haven't seen that since Giro 11) or a team's smart move.

Alberto has to do more than attack, this is a test of who is the smartest biker.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
From LeTour live ticker:

this is exsactly what I've been saying. contador is a true leader. he rides as hard as his helpers and sets an example through force. what a difference with froome who goes crying in the radio and to all other teams. no helper gets motivated from that

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
He doesn't have a clue. Only if Froome cracks big time, Alberto has a chance. This would mean 4 minutes combined from the three mountain finish stages left or one big flop a la Hesyedal in Giro after the TT. But to be honest Froome just have to follow his wheels if he's smart (he didn't prove that until now...)

Capt Superman does not follow wheels, he crushes wheels for breakfast, that is what Froome thinks about himself. What will crack Froome is when that fantasy image is broken with by an Alberto sustained attacked (we haven't seen that since Giro 11) or a team's smart move.

Alberto has to do more than attack, this is a test of who is the smartest biker.

jilbiker said:

Exactly the hubris of Froome may be his downfall :)

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Carols said:
Confused? You doubt he has more form to show? Thought this is when he is supposed to peak.

No Carol, I´m not confused lool, I´m just not so certain his form is where it was supposed to be, but I hope I´m wrong, he did show improvement in the TT and yesterday so fingers crossed.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Carols said:
LOL, no I was confused by your response :) Well I'm hoping the form is coming!

He got the strongest team by a mile, they got a huge morale boost yesterday, we have an angry movistar team who probably will go full gas as soon as the opportunity present it self, so I think we are in for a very exciting week. :D

vcampbell said:
I was never a fan of Kreuziger, and also not happy when I read that Saxo signed him, but I'm really impressed. He is super strong, and always looking for Alberto. I always thought, that he is someone who is more selfish, but he showing every stage that he is a perfect teammate. I don't know Contadors opinion, but I think he also really happy with Kreuziger.
At least he doesn't gap his team leader just to show he's stronger :D

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
trevim said:
At least he doesn't gap his team leader just to show he's stronger :D

I think Kreuziger is very excited having signed with Saxo, and this season must have been a super motivator for him as well, and not to forget he´s still a young guy, Riis said he had wanted to sign Kreuziger years ago.

I think we can expect much more than he already has shown, and if he can make him lose 3 - 5 extra kilos, he will surely be a factor for the future.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
BPDrBWyCIAAMG9P.jpg

#Teamsaxotinkoff's Rafal Majka training on Stelvio.

Is he gonna ride The Vuelta I wonder?