• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 704 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Contador was going to destroy everyone at this Tour. Just saying again.

He will recover and achieve same level next year. He knows what he can do and he knows how to do it.

He will win next year !, probably be even stronger.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
ggusta said:
You'd figure after 15,000 posts you'd have established a little more pull with the organizers, the least they could do is allow you to ride on his top tube through the neutral stage.
that would be hillarious,I would take a snap for sure:D
edit: oh my,Flo going for 15 thousands,that post should be in this thread then ;)

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
arvc40 said:
Contador was going to destroy everyone at this Tour. Just saying again.

He will recover and achieve same level next year. He knows what he can do and he knows how to do it.

He will win next year !, probably be even stronger.

Next year we will have the ultimate showdown everyone wants to see with Contador, Froome and Quintana.

Sagan at Tinkoff will be a massive conflict for the Tour (or other grand tour both he and Contador are in)

Firstly Sagan needs riders to chase breakaways on stages like today and he needs a strong rider or two in the finale to help chase the likes of Gallopin (which he doesn't have at Cannondale)

At the same time Contador needs riders to keep him at the front of the peloton & safe ....then he needs at least 3/4 climbers to help in the mountains....and climbers of high calibre who need to be fresh and not chases breakaways....then there is the usual doms to water carry etc... how many riders does that cover ??

Total conflict
Does anyone believe Sagan will ride at front to the bunch to keep Contador out of the wind or water carry ...Bennatti & Morkrov, etc can only do so much...someone will not be happy

Its like Mark Cavandish at SKY 2012 team ...and for those who say Sagan does not need helpers....This Tour shows he does

inthepink said:
Sagan at Tinkoff will be a massive conflict for the Tour (or other grand tour both he and Contador are in)

Firstly Sagan needs riders to chase breakaways on stages like today and he needs a strong rider or two in the finale to help chase the likes of Gallopin (which he doesn't have at Cannondale)

At the same time Contador needs riders to keep him at the front of the peloton & safe ....then he needs at least 3/4 climbers to help in the mountains....and climbers of high calibre who need to be fresh and not chases breakaways....then there is the usual doms to water carry etc... how many riders does that cover
??

Total conflict

Perhaps Sagan may be the answer that Contador needs to be safe on transition stages when chaotic situations appear and is required to have someone like Peter driving the train for the stage win while Alberto sticks to his wheel....

I quite honestly don't see it as an Issue, because -unlike Cavendish, whose abilities to climb & perform on all terrains are but none- Sagan is skillful & useful everywhere & anywhere in any kind of conditions, so there are only benefits IMO :cool:

May 19, 2011
Visit site
inthepink said:

At the same time Contador needs riders to keep him at the front of the peloton & safe ....then he needs at least 3/4 climbers to help in the mountains....and climbers of high calibre who need to be fresh and not chases breakaways....then there is the usual doms to water carry etc... how many riders does that cover ??

Total conflict
Does anyone believe Sagan will ride at front to the bunch to keep Contador out of the wind or water carry ...Bennatti & Morkrov, etc can only do so much...someone will not be happy

Its like Mark Cavandish at SKY 2012 team ...and for those who say Sagan does not need helpers....This Tour shows he does

my thought exactly, maybe not as Cav Sky in 2012, but the whole team definitely has to do much more work

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
maxmartin said:
my thought exactly, maybe not as Cav Sky in 2012, but the whole team definitely has to do much more work

Didn't Sagan help nibali a lot in tdf 2012?

But yea it's still not a good idea to have a sprinter in Contador's tdf team.

hfer07 said:
Perhaps Sagan may be the answer that Contador needs to be safe on transition stages when chaotic situations appear and is required to have someone like Peter driving the train for the stage win while Alberto sticks to his wheel....

I quite honestly don't see it as an Issue, because -unlike Cavendish, whose abilities to climb & perform on all terrains are but none- Sagan is skillful & useful everywhere & anywhere in any kind of conditions, so there are only benefits IMO :cool:

Peter Sagan cannot drive a train & win a stage ....I am not sure how much racing you see but he a dedicated team at present and can't win stages ...
Your suggesting he work for Contador ... well then he can kiss the green jersey goodbye....he is not super man

and neither are the team where they can serve 2 masters

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:
Didn't Sagan help nibali a lot in tdf 2012?

But yea it's still not a good idea to have a sprinter in Contador's tdf team.

not at all, 2/3 of the team are working for Sagan the whole Tour, Nibali's mountain support is near zero except an old Basso. LOL That is also one of the reasons he left Cannondale besides salary issue.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
inthepink said:
Peter Sagan cannot drive a train & win a stage ....I am not sure how much racing you see but he a dedicated team at present and can't win stages ...
Your suggesting he work for Contador ... well then he can kiss the green jersey goodbye....he is not super man

and neither are the team where they can serve 2 masters

it is also quite possible Tinkoff has no intention to resign AC, or vice versa, AC has no intention to keep riding for Tinkoff. But Sagan is up for snatch now, so it is not the opportunity Tinkoff wants to miss. Any way it will be extremely interesting to see if it is 2 or 3 year deal, if it is a three year deal. I have no doubt AC will leave Tinkoff after the 2015 season is finished.

maxmartin said:
it is also quite possible Tinkoff has no intention to resign AC, or vice versa, AC has no intention to keep riding for Tinkoff. But Sagan is up for snatch now, so it is not the opportunity Tinkoff wants to miss. Any way it will be extremely interesting to see if it is 2 or 3 year deal, if it is a three year deal. I have no doubt AC will leave Tinkoff after the 2015 season is finished.

Which I think is very unfortunate. He has great riders around him, coaches, team managers, and money....It would be hard for him to find a package like he has here with anyone else.

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Here's another video but in Spanish when he arrives to the hospital on Tuesday.

http://as.com/videos/2014/07/15/portada/1405437760_967955.html

It breaks my heart seeing him like this :( poor Alberto :( he worked so hard for this race and it all went out the window in a split second. Alberto mentioned in another interview how he was having nightmares before the Tour of him crashing and then abandoning the race but he would soon wake up and realize it was all a bad dream. But he said that now it's a bad dream he just can't wake up from it's just so, so, so sad :(

TRENDING THREADS