• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 959 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Red Rick said:
I'm really wondering how someone supposedly smart enough to become a self-made billionaire can be so ***. I know I've said some positive things about him in the past, I take that all back now.

The guy is a total *** idiot

Sums it up for me.

Bjarne and Oleg fighting, now Bjarne is gone and we expect the team to just carry on like nothing happened? They are humans, not machines......

Re: Re:

Miburo said:
mrhender said:
I take it Tinkov was eager upon the good Vuelta as he tweeted all preseason that we should get ready for fireworks...

Indeed we have fireworks but not in part of performance..

I could easily imagine that he stomped his authority and made the ds' make harder training programs.
Riis then backed somewhat off as per the CN article and when the results didn't came Tinkov thought he could order Riis
to do his will and be succesful even though Riis probably have disagreed..

From all the images I've seen of the riders since the suspension they riders look tired and somewhat dellusionised..

I really can't see this ending well for anyone.. It's a goddamn shame!!

It's march, freaking march. Besides contador and sagan I btw don't any star rider.

Majka never been the guy to perform really well in races besides GT's.

I don't understand how some of you can come to these ridiculous conclusions.

They are not ridiculous. The team isn't performing well, while it did last year.

Look Contador lines up at these races to win them, he thus needs a team that can assist him with this goal. Basso and another supporter getting dropped early on, Majka after last season not showing his worth, is just not acceptable for a team that wants to support arguably the best rider in the world.

Te be fair Contador's real goals are next, but he certainly after a "poor" TA wanted to put this race in his palmares, but his teammates are too tired. That is f-ing BS. Someone got things wrong, and now the team is in chaos. How was this possible with AC going for the damn double? It just reeks of incompetence.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'll go prophetic mode again and say Alberto will win catalunya on the last stage and the double and get back all what he supposedly "lost" in 11' .
I take no responsability if I'm wrong :cool:

Re: Re:

Miburo said:
mrhender said:
I take it Tinkov was eager upon the good Vuelta as he tweeted all preseason that we should get ready for fireworks...

Indeed we have fireworks but not in part of performance..

I could easily imagine that he stomped his authority and made the ds' make harder training programs.
Riis then backed somewhat off as per the CN article and when the results didn't came Tinkov thought he could order Riis
to do his will and be succesful even though Riis probably have disagreed..

From all the images I've seen of the riders since the suspension they riders look tired and somewhat dellusionised..

I really can't see this ending well for anyone.. It's a goddamn shame!!

It's march, freaking march. Besides contador and sagan I btw don't any star rider.

Majka never been the guy to perform really well in races besides GT's.

I don't understand how some of you can come to these ridiculous conclusions.

He does have podiums in GdL and Milano-Torino

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Zen Master said:
rhubroma said:
Who's idea was it to change the plan? Tinkov? Why? Is it a belief that to do so, is to one-up Sky? If this is so, then he/they obviously don't have any confidence in last year's results and what they had done to achieve them. Look, I'm not saying that some expirementing, trying to improve, etc., is bad, but you know: if it aint broke, don't fix it. And you certainly don't break what was working!

If the riders are tired, does this inclued Contador too? He is the only one performing well at the momment, so it would not seems so. Are the others too tired because they have been made to train harder than their leader?

Tinkov...!?! Knock, knock, anybody home...?!?
A little help with a situation regarding " expirementing "

" Tinkoff-Saxo team manager Bjarne Riis convinced Contador to improve the quality of his training and the Spaniard reached out to De Jongh last November.
De Jongh knows the secrets of how Team Sky trains its athletes but Contador played down suggestions that he was interested in copying the British team. "

So, obviously your heart is full of hatred against the crazy Russian(s) BUT something is rotten at the Tinkoff-Saxo team from Denmark and guess what it's not everything his fault...

" One individual with intimate knowledge of the team’s inner workings argues that, in a sense, Tinkov only has himself to blame: “When Oleg took over the team, he allowed Bjarne to keep too much influence, too much power. Bjarne kept this emperor complex. He still behaves like the owner, not the manager. The problem is that, when you spend the whole day telling someone they can walk on water, they go out in the evening, try to walk on water….and they sink. "

Apart from Oleg being the typical arrogant oligarch - and there is nothing worse than a "self-made" man who came from oblivion, also culturally, who lets money and power inflate his head - the concommitant poor performance of the team and Riis being removed from the picture, reasonably indicates that the Tinkov owner has stepped into where he doesn't belong.

well, now we see Sagan ran out gas at E3. He was upfront with Thomas and Stybar, but all the time I saw that he looked like he was on his limit. His form wasn't as good as last year. Maybe this rumour on new training regime makes the riders are too tired. Remind me of Yates comment on sky team. They're bloody too tired. And so far we haven't seen any results remotely close to the success of last year. Not sure what happens here. *scratch my head*.

on bright side, contador moves to 3rd place 7 seconds off Porte. Last year with only 2 seconds, it's tough to overhaul Purito. Hopefully he is going postal on the last stage or something. But his team is decimated with illness and abandonment (rogers). So dunno if they are up to the task. *i hope they are*

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what the hell is wrong with Contador, but he is looking bigger and bigger and chubbier. From the pics I seen of today, it's blatant. He was leaner in Tirreno and even in andalucia, I hope nothing is going wrong.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
rhubroma said:
BlurryVII said:
I don't know what the hell is wrong with Contador, but he is looking bigger and bigger and chubbier. From the pics I seen of today, it's blatant. He was leaner in Tirreno and even in andalucia, I hope nothing is going wrong.

In fact the guy needs to find last year's everything. Put a tap in the mouth!

I don't even need to post pics, check out the final kilometers, he just looks massive it's worrying

Form wise he is okay thanks to a solid winter base, but he looks too big right now regardless of the double

BlurryVII said:
rhubroma said:
BlurryVII said:

I don't even need to post pics, check out the final kilometers, he just looks massive it's worrying
Form wise he is okay thanks to a solid winter base work, but he looks too big right now double or not

I mentioned this earlier, several times even, he looks much bulkier nowadays (I think it's muscle more than anything else - he's too top-heavy - thanks to Bjarne's obsession with core stability), from the front he looks like a classics rider almost :eek: . But I don't agree it's a thing of the last few weeks.

You can find pics of him looking quite heavy and pics of him looking slim. It all depends on the angle and if he's inhaling or exhaling. Example:
CBB7tFLWAAEAMK-.jpg

CA-SdWxWUAAUGih.jpg

as you can see these pics were taken within a couple secs of each other.

Edit: sheesh my English is abysmal these days. Were taken not were taking!

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
BlurryVII said:
rhubroma said:
BlurryVII said:

Form wise he is okay thanks to a solid winter base work, but he looks too big right now double or not

You can find pics of him looking quite heavy and pics of him looking slim. It all depends on the angle and if he's inhaling or exhaling. Example:

He looks big on both pics lol

BlurryVII said:
LaFlorecita said:
BlurryVII said:
rhubroma said:
BlurryVII said:

He looks big on both pics lol

Well I wish I was that "big" :eek: jesus christ there are things called a "rib cage" and "muscles" in the human body plus because of this thing called "gravity" the abdominal organs are pulled down

contaf2-watermark1-400x400.jpg

OMG so big :eek: :eek: :eek:

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Well I wish I was that "big" :eek: jesus christ there are things called a "rib cage" and "muscles" in the human body plus because of this thing called "gravity" the abdominal organs are pulled down

contaf2-watermark1-400x400.jpg

OMG so big :eek: :eek: :eek:

anyway, you know what I mean lol

such difference with last year though.. :mad:

Anyway.

He is obviously not yet at his ideal race weight. He's got over 1 month to go though, he could easily lose 2kgs.

His upper body is much bigger than before he joined Saxo, even the difference with 2011 is obvious. It makes him top-heavy, it's useless muscle, but as I said Bjarne's obsession with core stability is to blame for that and age may also play a role.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't really see what all the fuss is about. If he really is going for the double then most likely he is just being more conservative with his form at this point of the season (compared to previous years). I think Contador will be in excellent shape at the Giro.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Looks like stomach flue is getting the better of TS. What's eerie is that what happened to Sky last year is now happening with TS.

Further down the road, Tinkoff-Saxo was struggling as several riders suffered from a stomach flu, which already before the stage forced Rafal Majka to abandon the Volta a Catalunya. Tinkoff-Saxo DS Steven de Jongh explains:

“It was a hard day for many of the guys. Rafal was sick and didn’t start and Basso was throwing up during the stage, as were a number of guys in the bunch today. Despite that I’m satisfied with the fact that Alberto gained two positions and he’s now 3rd, which is very good. With the crosswinds, splits and the attacks on the final climb and down to the finishing straight, today evolved into a hard stage”, explains Steven de Jongh, who hopes that his riders can recover for tomorrow’s penultimate day.

http://www.tinkoffsaxo.com/news/contado ... verde-win/

TRENDING THREADS