• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 620 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Publicus said:
Ordinarily I would say no, but Jesus actually responded to one of Alberto's tweets a few days ago about light training, noting that they also stopped for coffee. So yeah, they are tweaking Froome's nose.

Yeah I saw that too. Was wondering about that.

@jesushernandez3: “@albertocontador: Entrenamiento suave hoy tras una dura @dauphine .Bonito dia. @iamspecialized #TarmacSL5 http://t.co/Lh9mt5FavT”/y coffe!!

:D

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
there will be no Tour for Tosso and Rory according to Veloropa on Twitter. List include 6 sure guys and 5 maybes. The6: Bert, Jesus, Rogers, Paulinho, Kreuziger and Roche. The 5: Benna, Matti, Mørkøv, Nicky and Pires :eek:

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
notrolfsorensen said:
there will be no Tour for Tosso and Rory according to Veloropa on Twitter. List include 6 sure guys and 5 maybes. The6: Bert, Jesus, Rogers, Paulinho, Kreuziger and Roche. The 5: Benna, Matti, Mørkøv, Nicky and Pires :eek:

I think Rory would have made the team if he hadnt crashed in DL and had been able to help Berto better. Benna shows great form. He will be there. Nicky would be a good pick if he could find his form from the spring but he was bleak in DL. Mørkøv and Matti will have to fight for one spot. Pires and Nicki for the other, and Benna will get the 3rd imo.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
NO Toso???? :eek: :mad:

If they take Pires.... They better take Matti and Benna at least.

God damn it. Stupid team.

If Toso isnt in form it makes no sense really. He has been strugling with injuries and illness all year.

Will be very surprised if they end up picking Pires

Well that's it ...Roche couldn't beat Valverde & Bouhanni in the sprint....gotta leave him out of the Tour team now ....send him home immediately ...I mean what's the point if he can't beat Bouhanni in a sprint ..call himself an all rounder :eek: :p

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Bouhani had a great race. he managed to be part of the 32 riders who finished 6" down. There were 5 TCS in the grp.

Credit where credit is due.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Sky would at least be stronger in the valleys with Wiggo.

Topic: I have thought a little regarding AC and his "comeback" this year. Even if I stand my ground that he will not win the Tour again (and I, for obvious reasons, don't like him), I have to admit that his improvement in form compared to last year is impressive. I gues he reinvented himself in a way and found a way to push himself a little further than last year. His successful spring campaign - even if it became a little overhyped taking into consideration the level of competition in some of the races and the respective gaps - is a serious warning shot at Sky.

Nevertheless, there are considerable other factors which speak in ACs favour and which he could not influence. Should AC do very well at the Tour, these factors will equally contribute to his possible success in France (and therefore should be mentioned here):

1. Froomes injuries in the spring: Without these injuries, there would be no talking of AC being able to drop Froome in the mountains (or even to stay with him). Let's face it: Froomes prep was seriously hampered by several injuries and setbacks whereas ACs prep went ideally. Of course this is an advantage for AC. Same goes for injuries of Froomes teammates, in particular Porte and (to a lesser extent) Stannard.

2. Important rivals not riding/out of form: Last year's Tour has revealed that there are at least five riders which are potentially and/or constantly stronger than AC in the mountains: Froome, Quintana, Valverde, Rodriguez and Porte. Quintana is not at the start in France, Valverde's form is unclear and Rodriguez, Froome (see above) and Porte did not have an ideal preparation.

3. Course designed for AC: This years course has obviously (for whatever reason) been designed in favour of AC. No TT, no second long (and flat) ITT, nice MTFs. I don't know why, but the Tour organisers still put some value in this guy and - obviously - want to give him another chance to win the Tour. Well done.

So let the games begin. To the least, AC will contribute to a more exciting race than lst year. Hell, the guy is so annoying -but even I have to respect his fighting spirit.

SiAp1984 said:
Sky would at least be stronger in the valleys with Wiggo.

Topic: I have thought a little regarding AC and his "comeback" this year. Even if I stand my ground that he will not win the Tour again (and I, for obvious reasons, don't like him), I have to admit that his improvement in form compared to last year is impressive. I gues he reinvented himself in a way and found a way to push himself a little further than last year. His successful spring campaign - even if it became a little overhyped taking into consideration the level of competition in some of the races and the respective gaps - is a serious warning shot at Sky.

Nevertheless, there are considerable other factors which speak in ACs favour and which he could not influence. Should AC do very well at the Tour, these factors will equally contribute to his possible success in France (and therefore should be mentioned here):

1. Froomes injuries in the spring: Without these injuries, there would be no talking of AC being able to drop Froome in the mountains (or even to stay with him). Let's face it: Froomes prep was seriously hampered by several injuries and setbacks whereas ACs prep went ideally. Of course this is an advantage for AC. Same goes for injuries of Froomes teammates, in particular Porte and (to a lesser extent) Stannard.

2. Important rivals not riding/out of form: Last year's Tour has revealed that there are at least five riders which are potentially and/or constantly stronger than AC in the mountains: Froome, Quintana, Valverde, Rodriguez and Porte. Quintana is not at the start in France, Valverde's form is unclear and Rodriguez, Froome (see above) and Porte did not have an ideal preparation.

3. Course designed for AC: This years course has obviously (for whatever reason) been designed in favour of AC. No TT, no second long (and flat) ITT, nice MTFs. I don't know why, but the Tour organisers still put some value in this guy and - obviously - want to give him another chance to win the Tour. Well done.

So let the games begin. To the least, AC will contribute to a more exciting race than lst year. Hell, the guy is so annoying -but even I have to respect his fighting spirit.

1) never believe what a cyclist (or his entourage) says: As long as we didn't have an undeniable proof (like for Froome's injuries), it's neither true or untrue.

2) Same can be said about Contador: he was out of form last year.

3) A Tour course designed for Contador based on last year's tour would feature no flat TT's, a lot of flat stages with possible crosswinds and no MTF's at all.

TRENDING THREADS