• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 908 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
thehook said:
Yes Nibs does. Just look at the cobbled stage last Tour. Nibs was in beast mode.

Sure, Nibali has proved it a lot of times. He is just a bit less gifted than Alberto ( 95% of the peleton would be happy to have that same talent).

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
ray j willings said:
Well if he walked the smash talk he would have raced the giro.

Contador is a level above every one else.

The tour could be awesome. A tired Bertie who is not scared to go for a long one if he's not in control of the race. Ryder and Talansky will blow the race apart if they need to as well. Quintana and Froome going man v man and Valverde the unknown factor who had some superb climbing days at the Vuleta and if he rides less aggressive could be a surprise contender for the top spot. I also think we could see some of last years young climbers stepping up, lets hope they all get safely through the first week or so.

As someone who pulls for Froome over Alberto, I would have much preferred to see him rid Giro-Vuelta. Alas, Sky would never, ever let him do something other than peak for the Tour, whether he wants to or not. Luckily for us and Alberto, Tinkov will let him do what he wants.

I'm curious, what gap would be needed from a rider to Alberto to say that they are at the same level, as I am expecting (valid) blame to be portioned on attempting the double.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
nhowson said:
As someone who pulls for Froome over Alberto, I would have much preferred to see him rid Giro-Vuelta. Alas, Sky would never, ever let him do something other than peak for the Tour, whether he wants to or not. Luckily for us and Alberto, Tinkov will let him do what he wants.

I'm curious, what gap would be needed from a rider to Alberto to say that they are at the same level, as I am expecting (valid) blame to be portioned on attempting the double.

I Think leading up to last years tour Contador looked incredible.

I think Froomes full out attack to put Bertie in his place at the Dauphine was fantastic. But once Bertie hung on we knew it was over for Froome as regards to that edition of the Dauphine. Contador just does not seem to have a bad day and generally gets stronger in the mountains. Froome always has a couple of bad days. Even when he won the tour he lost time in the mountains.
I think Bertie knows the tour is going to be very tough for him but he is very smart and will try and take advantage of any lapse that Froome or Quinatan etc have. I personally think Froome and Quintana will have a great battle in the tour and it will take something special for a tired Bertie to defeat them and I would not bet against him. Nibali has yet to prove himself against the likes of Froome and Conantador :D etc in the big mountains. Horner was to good for Nibs.
Looking forward to a great season.

Miburo said:
Don't matter, they all do it even Contador does it all the time. I don't like that polite cycling talk, i prefer smash talk.

Like froome did a bit in his book about contador, spicing things up.

That was simply to sell books. If that was really Froome talking, instead of his ghost writer, we would read about more of this smack talking being quoted. We haven't heard anything from Froome on that level since or before.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
That was simply to sell books. If that was really Froome talking, instead of his ghost writer, we would read about more of this smack talking being quoted. We haven't heard anything from Froome on that level since or before.

Your point is irrelevant to what i said, i just like riders doing it, in a book or an interview. Should be done way more often

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
ray j willings said:
Well if he walked the smash talk he would have raced the giro.

Contador is a level above every one else.

The tour could be awesome. A tired Bertie who is not scared to go for a long one if he's not in control of the race. Ryder and Talansky will blow the race apart if they need to as well. Quintana and Froome going man v man and Valverde the unknown factor who had some superb climbing days at the Vuleta and if he rides less aggressive could be a surprise contender for the top spot. I also think we could see some of last years young climbers stepping up, lets hope they all get safely through the first week or so.

Valverde will not do much, he had his best chance in his carear of winning the TDF last year and he failed to even make the podium. He will be a force still in La Vuelta. Valverde will be very silly if he does the TDF. Why not ride the Vuelta fresh i mean Contador will not be doing it, Froome and Quintana will already have a GT in the legs if they do it. Valverde needs to take his chance of another Vuelta this is his best chance in years.

Miburo said:
Your point is irrelevant to what i said, i just like riders doing it, in a book or an interview. Should be done way more often

My point, which I made clear and you obviously missed, is that that was not Froome talking in his book, and most folks that read the particular quote from the book realizes that and recognize the purpose it served. It is seen as a joke (unfortunatley for Froome not an intentional one) for the most part, not to be taken seriously. You found entertainment in it and I found it a commentary (a sad one) on how easily Froome can be convinced by others in having things attributed to him directly or indirectly that ultimately reflect negatively on him. I gave my opinion on the subject not necessarily as a direct response to your post, more to the topic of smack talk itself and how foolish in my eyes it has made him look, especially when you hear his latest statements in regard to his training being motivated by what he thinks Contador is doing at the time. The coffee stop comment contradicts his recent statements. The only common thread is that Contador is on his mind quite a bit the same as Froome is on Contador's.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
My point, which I made clear and you obviously missed, is that that was not Froome talking in his book, and most folks that read the particular quote from the book realizes that and recognize the purpose it served. It is seen as a joke (unfortunatley for Froome not an intentional one) for the most part, not to be taken seriously. You found entertainment in it and I found it a commentary (a sad one) on how easily Froome can be convinced by others in having things attributed to him directly or indirectly that ultimately reflect negatively on him. I gave my opinion on the subject not necessarily as a direct response to your post, more to the topic of smack talk itself and how foolish in my eyes it has made him look, especially when you hear his latest statements in regard to his training being motivated by what he thinks Contador is doing at the time. The coffee stop comment contradicts his recent statements. The only common thread is that Contador is on his mind quite a bit the same as Froome is on Contador's.

I guess you haven't watched many sports. Take Ali as an example, he talked a lot of smack on his opponents but at the same time he respected and praised them.

Happens a lot.

Angliru said:
I think the intangibles of Contador's willingness to flip the script and use less than the standard orthodox tactics to achieve his goals maybe strikes fear into his rivals. The fear of the unexpected, creating chaos when most his opponents are more comfortable with conventional way of racing in stage races is likely a factor.

As ever, I agree, Angliru. AC's probably one of the few who can win a GT not at his strongest by race nouse and a real willingness to put it all on the line for all out victory. Never quite knowing what he might do next, or quite what he is capable of, plus the knowledge that he's mentally probably stronger than anyone of his rivals, makes for a formidable opponent.

Angliru said:

Angliru said:
You found entertainment in it and I found it a commentary (a sad one) on how easily Froome can be convinced by others in having things attributed to him directly or indirectly that ultimately reflect negatively on him.

With regard to Froome's book, I feel rather differently. Even if it were written by a ghost writer, Froome would have had to say something similar for it to feature. It's just too easy to blame Walsh - why would Walsh write something like that without some prompting? And Froome must have had some kind of approval. No-one would let a ghost writer just write whatever the hell he wanted. And the ghost writer would demand sign off as protection from being sued for defamation.

Plus, would you really be happy for someone to write something you did not say or that did not reflect what you thought or felt just 'to sell books'. I know I wouldn't.

As for Contador, I concur wholeheartedly with Dr Juice:

Dr. Juice said:
Contador's response to the book had far more class (posting a lot of pictures drinking coffee). Subtle but everyone knew what he meant.

Plus it was very funny. The gift that keeps on giving. But I'm no fan of trash-talking opponents. Keep your council and make your point on the road.

ferryman said:
I wonder also how many offers AC has had, and turned down so far, for a book of his own. Looking forward to it but hopefully not anytime soon if he is keeping until he retires...

This. However much I think AC's story would be a good read, and given all his travails, could be pretty inspiring, I am actually pretty pleased that he's waited this long to 'cash in'. Another demonstration that he's got a bit of class about him. When / if he does, I hope it has some substance and quality and isn't some dashed off, ghost written puff piece with a loose relationship to his actual history. Frankly, being readable would be a start compared to a lot out of cycling biographies out there.

Secretly, however, I kind of hope he resists the urge until he's retired. No need to distract yourself with all that crap until you really are looking back on your career and have a little perspective.

don't know if it's been discussed but es has an ad with edited outcomes of what happens in sporting events in 2015. One of which is contador winning the tdf with him in the yellow Saxo jersey with commentary over it about how he is back to the top.

Saw it after waking up and thought- wtf have I just slept through the entire year.

The Hitch said:
don't know if it's been discussed but es has an ad with edited outcomes of what happens in sporting events in 2015. One of which is contador winning the tdf with him in the yellow Saxo jersey with commentary over it about how he is back to the top.

Saw it after waking up and thought- wtf have I just slept through the entire year.

yeah it's a cool ad :D at first I thought wtf is this:eek:

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Yea,its very cool ad,I had the same issue as you with AO win of Roger (18th grandslam :eek::D)
NairoQ said:
It's this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP6hMK9xVhE.

With Bolt going under 9s you should've realised something was seriously wrong :D
THIS!:D

NairoQ said:
It's this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP6hMK9xVhE.

With Bolt going under 9s you should've realised something was seriously wrong :D

there's also a version with Alberto dashing for the line @ Tirreno stage 4 right before Lemond's comment. obviously I like that version even better :)

the first 2 times I saw this ad I had no idea wtf was going on, then I noticed Bolt 8.99s and Ronaldo returning to ManU and I got it:p

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
ferryman said:
Agreed. I wonder also how many offers AC has had, and turned down so far, for a book of his own. Looking forward to it but hopefully not anytime soon if he is keeping until he retires...

and trust me, his cover will be him and his expresso… *priceless* :D

Not really contador but since there are Saxo tinkov fans here Oleg had a half hour interview on Bloomberg last week. Only cycling comment was that contador would win all 3 gts. Talked about Russia and tinkov company mostly. Usual flamboyant controversial style with some controversial comments and most clearly, a total "I don't give a ****" attitude throughout.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Not really contador but since there are Saxo tinkov fans here Oleg had a half hour interview on Bloomberg last week. Only cycling comment was that contador would win all 3 gts. Talked about Russia and tinkov company mostly. Usual flamboyant controversial style with some controversial comments and most clearly, a total "I don't give a ****" attitude throughout.

I think it's pretty obvious that if Contador wins giro and tour, he'll go for the vuelta no matter what.

It's his 1 chance to do something that will probably never be done again. But it won't be easy at all.

I give him 15% to win both giro and tour.

Miburo said:
I think it's pretty obvious that if Contador wins giro and tour, he'll go for the vuelta no matter what.

It's his 1 chance to do something that will probably never be done again. But it won't be easy at all.

I give him 15% to win both giro and tour.

I don't know. I think it would be seriously risking the entire rest of his career to go for the Vuelta and he will probably feel he has no chance for it.

The Hitch said:
I don't know. I think it would be seriously risking the entire rest of his career to go for the Vuelta and he will probably feel he has no chance for it.

Not sure he would have any years left in his career anyway!! If he wins Giro-Tour.

& I don't think Alberto ever feels he has no chance to win. You never know what happens, everyone else might crash out.

& I am confident Alberto has learned from his 2011 attempt, and he has the best possible support this year from his teammates and the team staff. I think he has a good chance to pull it off. Maybe 25%. I'd say Froome 50% Quintana 15% Nibali 10%. Based on pure strength. But I don't doubt for a second that Contador could pull a trick on Froome.

TRENDING THREADS