• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1098 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
The Blues said:
DS from Etixx, Brian Holm doesn't believe in Contador, it seems. He states that he will not win, and that he doesn't think Contador would have won without the Giro in his legs, either. His favourite is Quintana, apparently. Interesting to get the perspective of someone in the peloton with no ties to any of the big four.

He also stated that he is certain Nibali would have destroyed Contador last year regardless of the crash. Food for thought, if nothing else.

http://feltet.dk/nyheder/holm_contador_vinder_ikke_touren/
lol

"destroyed" and everything, lol indeed :)

If the Translator serves me well :
"If Froome has the team, he is also hard to beat for Contador. Whether it is the team that is not strong enough or tactic that fails I do not know, but it goes again and again wrong for Team Sky, "says Brian Holm."
Things havent been good to Etixx this year too.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

The Blues said:
DS from Etixx, Brian Holm doesn't believe in Contador, it seems. He states that he will not win, and that he doesn't think Contador would have won without the Giro in his legs, either. His favourite is Quintana, apparently. Interesting to get the perspective of someone in the peloton with no ties to any of the big four.

He also stated that he is certain Nibali would have destroyed Contador last year regardless of the crash. Food for thought, if nothing else.

What :eek:

Opinions from the DS are usually interesting, even if against AC, still wise most of the time. But what I read is not even an opinion, it's just hating.
Dude's deluded lol. At least he *** crushed useless Uran. Try to get your rider better before talking :rolleyes:

LaFlorecita said:
The Blues said:

lol

Well, it's an opinion, but not exactly a reasoned argument.

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Even the genius Froome aknowledges and knows whats up:

“He's got an amazing Grand Tour resume,” Froome told The Telegraph newspaper. “I can’t write off guys like Nibali, Quintana, Valverde, but Contador does stand out. He is the benchmark, the guy to beat.”

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
The key for Contador at the tour will be his team, they can't in any way be lame like in the Giro, Sky's team looks to be very strong and of course Nibali will bring a full genius Astana team into the tour that will probably be stronger even than the laughable one from the Giro !

I'm a big Contador fan and if he pulls off a tour win, it will truely be legendary.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
When Brian Holm normally talks about GC guys etc in interviews on danish TV2, he doesn't have a clue about anything. I've actually never heard him say anything "normal" about it. He only know who's the strongest sprinter and stuff like that, he doesn't know anything about who's the strongest climber or anything about what the GC guys are doing.

I dont even think he knew that Contador won almost everything in the spring.

rm7 said:
When Brian Holm normally talks about GC guys etc in interviews on danish TV2, he doesn't have a clue about anything. I've actually never heard him say anything "normal" about it. He only know who's the strongest sprinter and stuff like that, he doesn't know anything about who's the strongest climber or anything about what the GC guys are doing.

This is actually so true!

rm7 said:

These old guys love to make statement that sound like something but they are not really reflecting what they know or based on sound analysis. To imply that Contador's tour chance are nil even if the did not do the Giro would be based on what kind of "observations"? His performance in previous grand Tour ? Makes so little sense

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
The Blues said:

lol
more a LOLLL!!!!!

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Interesting, on Eurosport Karsten Kroon says that when he was watching the Finestre stage and saw Alberto dropping, he thought to himself that he would lose the Giro, because he was 1.30 behind at the top and there were still 25km to go. But then he kept the gap stable, so he feels he was either bluffing or just didn't want to go all out.
So basically what some of us also said.

I also think he was bluffing. He kept the gap, all by himself, at 1:30. At the last couple of km, he just let go and gifted 1 minute more to the others. No need to fatigue more then.

If Contador had stayed with or caught the Aru group then it would mean that there would be no reason for Landa to be called back. Others may then look to Contador to pull that group creating a disorganised chase and allowing Landa to gain significant time. I can actually see logic in Contador not wanting to be in that group and just riding at his own sustained pace, but it seems a stretch that he thought through that dynamic on the Finestre. I still think that he went into the red trying to follow Landa and had a crisis moment, but was able to recover and then didn't take any risks on the descent.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Alberto wasn't bluffing. He got dropped but didn't panic and had enough energy to control the time gap. He also capitalized on Astana not riding smart and managed to pull some time back on the descent.

He wasn't bluffing in any way,shape, or form.

Re:

Metabolol said:
Alberto wasn't bluffing. He got dropped but didn't panic and had enough energy to control the time gap. He also capitalized on Astana not riding smart and managed to pull some time back on the descent.

This. I think folks are misconstruing or misunderstanding the differences between riding to limit your losses and pretending to be dropped. I think Contador had more to give on that stage and he probably would have ridden the last climb harder, but he knew he had a large lead and frankly he had another goal on the horizon (TdF). But make no mistake, he was dropped.

EDIT: On another topic, I like the Tour kit save the socks. I mean WTF.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Publicus said:
Metabolol said:

This. I think folks are misconstruing or misunderstanding the differences between riding to limit your losses and pretending to be dropped. I think Contador had more to give on that stage and he probably would have ridden the last climb harder, but he knew he had a large lead and frankly he had another goal on the horizon (TdF). But make no mistake, he was dropped.

EDIT: On another topic, I like the Tour kit save the socks. I mean WTF.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm liking the kit too…though the socks remind me of my brothers' school uniform!!

And I agree with the rest of the post too.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
OMG. What the hell?? I hate TS kit. :eek: Sorry what was that? a yellow bush? What happen with their yellow flo or the other yellow from last year?? This new color is so washed out.. it's like i want a yellow but not really.. and let add some grey bush for combination that makes either color looks so washed out. It needs a strong color to help balance the washout yellow. Might as well use black to bring up the lighter color. Having light color against the light color... geezzz.. Very disappointed with their TDF jersey this year!! Why can't their designer creates a modern simple design like Giant Alpacin, Trek or sky. I'm not fan of them, but I love their jersey design and color combination. Simple, bold, and modern.

EDIT: the last time I check - they are on a bike race not a duck hunting :D

4528bf64_de9f_49ae_a87c_c0411fb05160_670.jpg

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Jelantik said:
OMG. What the hell?? I hate TS kit. :eek: Sorry what was that? a yellow bush? What happen with their yellow flo or the other yellow from last year?? This new color is so washed out.. it's like i want a yellow but not really.. and let add some grey bush for combination that makes either color looks so washed out. It needs a strong color to help balance the washout yellow. Might as well use black to bring up the lighter color. Having light color against the light color... geezzz.. Very disappointed with their TDF jersey this year!! Why can't their designer creates a modern simple design like Giant Alpacin, Trek or sky. I'm not fan of them, but I love their jersey design and color combination. Simple, bold, and modern.

EDIT: the last time I check - they are on a bike race not a duck hunting :D

Good post. Exactly that, cheap jersey. That grey camo mixed up with the washed out yellow looks absolutely disgusting. The black shoes and the grey sockets are the icing on the cake. :confused:

Now compare that crap to the shiny jersey from last year's Tour
url

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Lol Giant, Sky and Trek have the most horrible kits in the peloton :eek:

The jersey isn't very pretty, but it stands out and it's so wrong I actually like it :D all these boring corporate jerseys are just silly.

Sky's jersey is actually very classy. I like the Trek one as well.

It's better to have a sober black jersey than stand out at all costs, what the *** is that jersey, it looks like it's coming straight from trash lmfao.

Get over yourselves, it is a bright yellow. You should know by now that the fluo yellow does not come across well on photos.

FFS, people were complaining about last year's Tour jersey, and most people ended up loving it. People complained about the camo training kit, and most people ended up loving it. People complained about Alberto's pink/fluo yellow/blue combo at the Giro, and many people ended up loving it.

It's just a freaking jersey, it stands out which is the single most important aspect of a cycling jersey. Build a bridge and get over it, all this complaining about a stupid jersey is just insane. The Tour is a bike race, not a fashion show.

TRENDING THREADS