• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1552 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
PremierAndrew said:
Red Rick said:
Events, interpretations, wishes, extrapolations. Obviously, in the dream world in which we unfortunately don't live in our favourite rider always wins if only he'd stayed on his bike, hit peak shape, or yadayadayada. We won't know what would've happened, I just know that I assumed both Froome and Quintana would have been stronger compared to the rest of the field. Maybe that rest of the field is stronger. Maybe Froome couldn't bother to drop Porte and Mollema.

Only assumption I'd make is that Contador would be 'up there'. Wherever that is.

No need for froome to attack porte and mollema with no stage win available and the TT tomorrow
If he could've taken a lot more time then he was doing, sure there was.

Why accelerate when you can just ride at a constant tempo? That's faster

PremierAndrew said:
Red Rick said:
PremierAndrew said:
Red Rick said:
Events, interpretations, wishes, extrapolations. Obviously, in the dream world in which we unfortunately don't live in our favourite rider always wins if only he'd stayed on his bike, hit peak shape, or yadayadayada. We won't know what would've happened, I just know that I assumed both Froome and Quintana would have been stronger compared to the rest of the field. Maybe that rest of the field is stronger. Maybe Froome couldn't bother to drop Porte and Mollema.

Only assumption I'd make is that Contador would be 'up there'. Wherever that is.

No need for froome to attack porte and mollema with no stage win available and the TT tomorrow
If he could've taken a lot more time then he was doing, sure there was.

Why accelerate when you can just ride at a constant tempo? That's faster
That's true. I was more thinking along the lines of the "I'm consciously slowing down to pretend I can't just ride them of my wheel"

Re:

Miburo said:
We gotta admit that it looks like this tour was really good for Contador.

Parcours suits him, froome not dominant, quintana not great.

Watching the stage today, gave me a bitter feeling but that's cycling. It really sucks, i just can't imagine Contador getting dropped by this Froome
Exactly my point. We have gotten some indications that his chances most likely, so far, were better than many gave him credit for. But I also like to think that Mollema is on a whole other level this year compared to last year.

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Miburo said:

Watching the stage today, gave me a bitter feeling but that's cycling. It really sucks, i just can't imagine Contador getting dropped by this Froome
Exactly my point. We have gotten some indications that his chances most likely, so far, were better than many gave him credit for. But I also like to think that Mollema is on a whole other level this year compared to last year.

Mollema has progressed quite a bit. Wasn't him the closest to Quintana on Terminillo last year?

LeSensei said:
Valv.Piti said:
Miburo said:

Mollema has progressed quite a bit. Wasn't him the closest to Quintana on Terminillo last year?

Yeah, but not by much really. Contador did all the work and Mollema capitalized, but as far as I remember, he wasn't even close to Quintana. Considering what he has shown in 14 and 15, this is at least 2 steps up. Signs of this in the Pyrenees 2013.

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Aru, ADAM YATES, mollema, meintjes in the standings still ?oh dear lord skybots are lucky Contador crashed, he would potentially have raped em turn by turn up ventoux today...... untill beeing mannhandled by a motocycle ofc :D

Froome doesnt look very dominant and good as seen before (not beeing negative to Froome, hes still been by far the strongest so far in this TDF) but not beeing able to drop people like Mollema etc simply wouldnt cut it vs Contador...

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

geargbest said:
Aru, ADAM YATES, mollema, meintjes in the standings still ?oh dear lord skybots are lucky Contador crashed, he would potentially have raped em turn by turn up ventoux today...... untill beeing mannhandled by a motocycle ofc :D

Froome doesnt look very dominant and good as seen before (not beeing negative to Froome, hes still been by far the strongest so far in this TDF) but not beeing able to drop people like Mollema etc simply wouldnt cut it vs Contador...

It's not about riding one decent stage. It's about riding three weeks of decent stages, especially in the mountains. This Tour Mollema looks strong, but mountainwise we're not even halfway with this TdF.

But I agree that it would have looked very, very good for Alberto. Such a bloody shame.

Red Rick said:
Carols said:
Matteo. said:
Burgos ? Uh, and the 2-3 weeks of absolute rest to recover ?

Well he went out on 7/10 so 2 full weeks off the bike is 7/24, then it was another 2 weeks with exercise allowed for full recovery. I don't know that race riding on 8/2 is included the in the recommended exercise.....

But then these are absolute top athletes, and not ordinary people.

Well that was the time frames quoted by his doctor; 2 weeks full rest, two additional weeks of recovery. So it was the doctor of the Extraordinary Alberto giving the time frames.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

LeSensei said:
Valv.Piti said:
Miburo said:

and yet people in this forum keeps saying that Contador should skip the Tour for good and go for Giro/Vuelta. That's rubbish. Every year, there's so many circumstances that will change even the most strongest rider. This year Froome doesn't look dominant. And Quintana is bigger on the hype that what he got on his leg so far. Contador got a chance actually, if he didn't crash. It's quite annoying to see Quintana never attacks, and when he attacked, it wasn't a smart move. This is why I miss Contador. Darn mother luck, can you give this guy a break, and for once let him compete w/o suffer a bad luck?

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I know he's never won Burgos but has he ever ridden it before? It wouldn't be a bad random stage race to add to the collection. A good ITT and the final stage climb...

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Sciocco said:
I know he's never won Burgos but has he ever ridden it before? It wouldn't be a bad random stage race to add to the collection. A good ITT and the final stage climb...

Alberto NEVER has participated in the Tour of Burgos; is an excellent preparation for "La Vuelta" and with serious chance of winning...
Contador would have had many chances to win this Tour de France 2016.He was very unlucky.
A pity.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Alberto Contador puts the finishing touch to a unique round

http://www.ciclismodeburgos.com/index_noticia.asp?noticia=2500

La Vuelta a Burgos es consciente de la importancia que tiene esta edición para el futuro y celebra que la imagen de la ciudad y provincia se proyecte al mundo gracias a la difusión diaria que tendrá la carrera. Los canales 13TV, Televisión Castilla y León, Televisión Gallega, Euskal Telebista, L’Equipe 21, Sky y Eleven Sport Network retransmitirán en directo de 15,00 a 16,40 horas el desarrollo de cada etapa de una Vuelta a Burgos

TRENDING THREADS