• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1582 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Not in a sport like cycling. Crashes happen. Many great riders besides AC have crashed before....it doesn't mean they were crap in that race.[/quote]

How many Tours did Migs crash out of?

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
What is fair to say if the fact that he actually has had really good teams through 13-16 in TdF. He has just messed it up for whatever reason, but all teams were strong - 2014 the most, 2015 the least, probably.
So,we should disregard the crap support he had in all other GTs? Does team strength only matter in the Tour?

Pretty much, since during all of those years Tour was his main (other than 2015 only) goal. So the team did deliver by putting very strong lineup around him for his main goal. Other than Sky (and their lineuo for Vuelta is hardly impressive) no team is deep enough to provide best support in two GTs a season

damian13ster said:
LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
What is fair to say if the fact that he actually has had really good teams through 13-16 in TdF. He has just messed it up for whatever reason, but all teams were strong - 2014 the most, 2015 the least, probably.
So,we should disregard the crap support he had in all other GTs? Does team strength only matter in the Tour?

Pretty much, since during all of those years Tour was his main (other than 2015 only) goal. So the team did deliver by putting very strong lineup around him for his main goal. Other than Sky (and their lineuo for Vuelta is hardly impressive) no team is deep enough to provide best support in two GTs a season
Of course, I even said the same thing a few days ago. However, I stated that I am used to his team being crap, and obviously I meant his team in all GTs, not just the Tour. He only finished 3 Tours in the last 6 years and in only 1 of those his team was actually strong, one of if not the best in the race. He finished 7 GTs since joining Saxo, and in all but one his team was mediocre at best.

I didn't blame the team managers, didn't blame the riders, I just innocently stated that I cannot be worried about his team being horrible next year because I'm used to him having hardly any team support in big races. I don't understand why you immediately became so defensive.

LaFlorecita said:
damian13ster said:
LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:

Of course, I even said the same thing a few days ago. However, I stated that I am used to his team being crap, and obviously I meant his team in all GTs, not just the Tour. He only finished 3 Tours in the last 6 years and in only 1 of those his team was actually strong, one of if not the best in the race. He finished 7 GTs since joining Saxo, and in all but one his team was mediocre at best.

I didn't blame the team managers, didn't blame the riders, I just innocently stated that I cannot be worried about his team being horrible next year because I'm used to him having hardly any team support in big races. I don't understand why you immediately became so defensive.

i do not have evidence of this but to me it was apparent that the Tinkov team assembled for the TDF 2016 was designed with the bold ambition of bringing back the three jerseys: Jaune for Alberto, vert for Sagan, and Maillot a pois for Majka. That kind of team can't be said to be strong for any of the named jerseys challengers but in some way must be accepted as a strong team yet not comparable to Sky single focus strength.

Dedelou said:
LaFlorecita said:
damian13ster said:
LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:

i do not have evidence of this but to me it was apparent that the Tinkov team assembled for the TDF 2016 was designed with the bold ambition of bringing back the three jerseys: Jaune for Alberto, vert for Sagan, and Maillot a pois for Majka. That kind of team can't be said to be strong for any of the named jerseys challengers but in some way must be accepted as a strong team yet not comparable to Sky single focus strength.
Exactly this whole Majka and Rojers look strong winning their little breakaways against inferior opposition ( both tinkoff guys have top 10 GC results vs breakaway guys with top 10s in continental races) they would not be able to set the pace non stop that people here call a "strong team". Majka plus rogers do not equal a singular Porte or Poels. Average team in 14 and 15 imo

In all of those years Tinkoff had 2-3 riders that were in top 15-20 when it comes to climbing in support of Contador. And there was Sagan. Hardly a weak team. There is no way you can justify a statement like that. In all of those years the team was stronger in relation to other teams than Contador compared to other GC contenders.

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:

No, we shouldn't disregard them, obviously. But its about fairness and stating he has had *** teams all the time simply isn't true. I know you love Contador and he basically can do no wrong, but its factual that his support actually has been very good in those years mentioned in the biggest race & and his biggest goal for all 4 seasons. Don't we agree here?

Re:

sir fly said:
This Vuelta is going to be one of the most important races of Contador's career.
He has to show he can beat Froome and Quintana in order to continue with dignity.
Both in terms of his self-confidence and status in new team.

Right on the money there Sir Fly. The others have nothing to lose really(Amongst the Big 3), Contador has everything to lose.
He NEEDS to win this GT.

So the last time:
TdF teams, the support for Bertie rated
13-strong
14-good(perhaps, hopefully, probably)
15-superweak (highlight: ttt)
16-weak and unloyal

Strong team was Astana Giro15 or Sky Tour12 or practically any TdF except for 14.

Re:

Scarponi said:
Hell Majka this year lead out contador and only lasted a km and he has has a top three in a GT.Sky's train only cracked once in the dauphine. you can't say tinkoff is strong

Majka is a wheelsucker type (no offense), he is able to suffer a lot, but he's a shitty domestique. Still he helped a lot that kilometer in Paris Nice. Shame it was the only time

Jakub said:
Scarponi said:
Hell Majka this year lead out contador and only lasted a km and he has has a top three in a GT.Sky's train only cracked once in the dauphine. you can't say tinkoff is strong

Majka is a wheelsucker type (no offense), he is able to suffer a lot, but he's a shitty domestique. Still he helped a lot that kilometer in Paris Nice. Shame it was the only time
??

LaFlorecita said:
Jakub said:
Scarponi said:

??

Last stage, he upped the pace and Dylan Thomas cracked. Maybe more 100m then 1km? I don't remeber it that good :)

Re:

Jakub said:
So the last time:
13-strong
16-weak and unloyal

Strong team was Astana Giro15 or Sky Tour12 or practically any TdF except for 14.

Oh stop it. 2015 wasn't super weak at all, neither was 2016. If Contador didn't crash and showed he was capable of winning, it was obviously all in for him with Kreuziger and Majka, make no mistake of that.

They also had the best team in the race in 2014.

Kwibus said:
Lexman said:
Tinkoff for the Vuelta :

Daniele Bennati (Ita)
Manuele Boaro (Ita)
Alberto Contador (Spa)
Jesus Hernandez (Spa)
Michael Gogl (Oos)
Robert Kiserlovski (Kro)
Sergio Paulinho (Por)
Ivan Rovny (Rus)
Joeri Trofimov (Rus)

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/Vuelta/1.2743510

According to CN.com Trofimov is for the flat.

I kid you not!

And Rovny for high mountains.
Then Jesus for ITT and TTT and we are complete.

But seriously it's kinda kind from them considering Jurij gets dropped on every pathetic hill.

Valv.Piti said:
Jakub said:
So the last time:
13-strong
16-weak and unloyal

Oh stop it. 2015 wasn't super weak at all, neither was 2016. If Contador didn't crash and showed he was capable of winning, it was obviously all in for him with Kreuziger and Majka, make no mistake of that.

I agree that his Tour team was plenty strong all those four years. I also think it's fair to question the whole team's dedication to Contador in some moments, but overall, it was very fine.

Kwibus said:
Lexman said:
Tinkoff for the Vuelta :

Daniele Bennati (Ita)
Manuele Boaro (Ita)
Alberto Contador (Spa)
Jesus Hernandez (Spa)
Michael Gogl (Oos)
Robert Kiserlovski (Kro)
Sergio Paulinho (Por)
Ivan Rovny (Rus)
Joeri Trofimov (Rus)

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/Vuelta/1.2743510

According to CN.com Trofimov is for the flat.

I kid you not!
In his current shape, that's where he is most useful.

Valv.Piti said:
Jakub said:
So the last time:
13-strong
16-weak and unloyal

Oh come on, in 2015 Sagan was good, Majka was okay and the rest was really bad, although Mick tried his hardest. 2016 doesn't even deserve to be commented on, a team that abandons its leader at the first hurdle is not a team. No matter how strong the individual riders may have been, they weren't a team. In 2014, all I can say is that individual strength =/= team strength, but yes, the team was quite okay, and it's a shame Alberto crashed out.

TRENDING THREADS