• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1639 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What an crazy discussions about who performed better between quintana and contador.

Quintana obviously is stronger than Contador this Vuelta. Quintana praised Contador for being a great strategist obviously showing that Contador was the initiator of the attack. Contador obviously needed either Sky or Movistar to join him in his attack.
Now Sky completely cracked, but if Movistar missed the attack then Contadors assault would've failed so they were both happy to have eachothers help there. They both had plenty to gain and I'm sure Contador would've wanted to win the stage, but he only could've done that if he didn't work in the attack with his current form, but then the coorperation of the attack would've stopped.

Actually I'm happy with all the riders in that attack yesterday as they all had their share of work, allthough I'm sure some knew they wouldn't gain much from it besides contributing to an epic stage.

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
bambino said:
DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:
Well clearly he didn't force Quintana to work on the flat enough. Contador held all the cards there. If Brambilla was able to follow Quintana, there's no excuse for Contador to have been too tired to follow Quintana yesterday

I know he initiated the attack and would have spent a lot there but there's absolutely no way Contador shouldn't have finished first out of the GC guys yesterday
What? Quintana is just stronger uphill, it's been that way the entire Vuelta. Brambilla didn't do as much work as Contador and Quintana which is why he could stay with Quintana.
In what way should Contador have forced Quintana to take pulls? He was taking pulls. Should Contador have told his teammates not to work anymore? It was in his best interest to get a large gap as well. And would a couple more pulls by Quintana have made him those 30s slower? Wouldn't other riders have been present as well, if Quintana had been slow enough that Contador could stick with him? Would Quintana have been willing to give Contador the stage or would Contador have had to beat him in the sprint as well? I suppose you could argue Contador should have done way less work and let Quintana do way more work, but do you think Movistar and the other members of the break would have agreed with that?

Surely if Contador is only interested in the win, making Movistar do all the work would have been the best strategy. Or, if they didn't, then try to attack them again - at least once a reasonable gap had been established. As it is, he is further behind the lead than he was at the start of the day.

If he was riding for the podium and the highest possible position,then he did well and it was a great move and good tactics. If he was aiming to win the race, it was a poor move that has left him further behind.

This - AC was clearly racing for podium, not against Quintana. It was actually very lucky for him Quintana made it to the break as well and was not caught by the crash like the others.
Yep, that's a very fair point. Very unlikely the break would have stayed away without Quintana in it. Movistar would have swallowed it up by the second climb.

Completely right. The break would not have stood a chance if Quintana had not joined it. Movistar would have had about 5-6 riders to chase it down. And Froome would have helped with that too.
Was a great stage to watch - hats off to Contador, Brambilla and Quintana and their teamamtes.
To be clear (cos I don't want to be attacked for being 'negative' about him), Alberto impressed and did a lot to animate the stage and the Vuelta. But it's a huge exaggeration and twist of the facts to say that Alberto 'won' the Vuelta for Quintana.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
It's an exaggeration, without contador's move Quintana wouldn't have gained anything from this stage.

So of course Contador together with quintana being the best, are the reasons he'll win the vuelta.

But don't count your chickens until...

You never know what happens, remember giro this year

bambino said:
[quote="

This - AC was clearly racing for podium, not against Quintana and the win. It was actually very lucky for him Quintana made it to the break as well and was not caught by the crash like the others.

Someone else up-thread referred to a crash that made the split happen, but I didn't see the stage itself, and these two posts are literally the only two mentions of a crash I've seen across a range of media. So was there actually a crash when Contador was attacking downhill, and was it before or after the attack?

RownhamHill said:
bambino said:
[quote="

This - AC was clearly racing for podium, not against Quintana and the win. It was actually very lucky for him Quintana made it to the break as well and was not caught by the crash like the others.

Someone else up-thread referred to a crash that made the split happen, but I didn't see the stage itself, and these two posts are literally the only two mentions of a crash I've seen across a range of media. So was there actually a crash when Contador was attacking downhill, and was it before or after the attack?

There has been at least 3-4 last pages of discussion in yesterday's stage thread about that crash. I guess it is somewhat proven (some media confirmations even from DS's) that there indeed was a crash of Lotto rider just before AC accelerated in the descent. What is not proven is whether that had real difference for the break to get away or not.

bambino said:
RownhamHill said:
bambino said:
[quote="

There has been at least 3-4 last pages of discussion in yesterday's stage thread about that crash. I guess it is somewhat proven (some media confirmations even from DS's) that there indeed was a crash of Lotto rider just before AC accelerated in the descent. What is not proven is whether that had real difference for the break to get away or not.

Thanks for this - I don't think the discussion was in the stage thread, as I read through that last night and don't remember seeing anything, but would be great if you could point me in the direction of that as be interested to find out more what happened - I've no agenda here, I've just literally not seen any other mention of a crash!

RownhamHill said:
bambino said:
RownhamHill said:
bambino said:
[quote="

Thanks for this - I don't think the discussion was in the stage thread, as I read through that last night and don't remember seeing anything, but would be great if you could point me in the direction of that as be interested to find out more what happened - I've no agenda here, I've just literally not seen any other mention of a crash!

It is there, but it only started this morning (Europe time zones), thus you probably didn't see that last night.

From this page on there is lot of speculations about the crash.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31349&start=1060

IMA said:
DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:
Well clearly he didn't force Quintana to work on the flat enough. Contador held all the cards there. If Brambilla was able to follow Quintana, there's no excuse for Contador to have been too tired to follow Quintana yesterday

I know he initiated the attack and would have spent a lot there but there's absolutely no way Contador shouldn't have finished first out of the GC guys yesterday
What? Quintana is just stronger uphill, it's been that way the entire Vuelta. Brambilla didn't do as much work as Contador and Quintana which is why he could stay with Quintana.
In what way should Contador have forced Quintana to take pulls? He was taking pulls. Should Contador have told his teammates not to work anymore? It was in his best interest to get a large gap as well. And would a couple more pulls by Quintana have made him those 30s slower? Wouldn't other riders have been present as well, if Quintana had been slow enough that Contador could stick with him? Would Quintana have been willing to give Contador the stage or would Contador have had to beat him in the sprint as well? I suppose you could argue Contador should have done way less work and let Quintana do way more work, but do you think Movistar and the other members of the break would have agreed with that?

Surely if Contador is only interested in the win, making Movistar do all the work would have been the best strategy. Or, if they didn't, then try to attack them again - at least once a reasonable gap had been established. As it is, he is further behind the lead than he was at the start of the day.

If he was riding for the podium and the highest possible position,then he did well and it was a great move and good tactics. If he was aiming to win the race, it was a poor move that has left him further behind.

Considering that before the stage Alberto was way behind of many of his rivals in the GC, that was the best strategy to fight for the win, for the podium and for any other goal.

When you´re 2nd in the GC you just have to focus on the leader. When you have to take time back from other riders too, you cannot beat them all in one stage.

This.

And chappeau to Contador. What a champion.

bambino said:
RownhamHill said:
bambino said:
RownhamHill said:
bambino said:
[quote="

It is there, but it only started this morning (Europe time zones), thus you probably didn't see that last night.

From this page on there is lot of speculations about the crash.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31349&start=1060

Ahhh, that will be it then as I did read the race thread last night. I'll go and have a look now, thanks for the link!

Let's get it straight how the break came about.

Brambilla attacked, Contador and others followed, Froome was caught off guard, but reeled them in. Then Contador immediately attacked on the downhill, pushing max for several kilometres, and the rest is history.

bambino said:
RownhamHill said:
bambino said:
[quote="

Van der Sande crashed while in the first group. Sounds like a bit of a stretch to hear that as the reason the people who got left behind got left behind! https://twitter.com/toshvds/status/772491926725591040

MacBAir said:
burning said:
hrotha said:
This is hilarious.

I apologize on behalf of us sane AC haters out there.

I don't know why Libertine takes this guy seriously, this guy said that Gerrans is the biggest disappointment of the season as he was supposed to be next Froome/Wiggins.
You aren't the quickest cookie. I didn't meant Gerrans. I meant Geraint.

burning said:
I also think that MacBAir should also complain about that descent, here is an example for him:

It was a dangerous start. I had to unclip on the first corner and I immediately lost 150 meters to my group. After that, I didn’t want to take any more unnecessary risks. I don’t think people want to see a race decided on the downhill. We don’t want to see riders crashes. A start like that shouldn’t be allowed.

What were you doing when Froome won that stage attacking downhill in this years' tour? Crying because he broke Alberto?

Check my posts during that stage bro, you need to take a chill pill

LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:

With Froome 2 minutes down the road, Quintana and Movistar would have agreed to absolutely anything. The fact that Quintana was not absolutely exhausted by the time the final climb came about is proof that Contador messed up. Even in this shape, he should have gained a good 30s on Quintana, not lost 30s

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
4 years ago, today Alberto made the move which won him the Vuelta and put him for good in the pantheon of cycling champions.
Facebook reminded me :razz:

PremierAndrew said:
Even in this shape, he should have gained a good 30s on Quintana, not lost 30s
I don't mean to offend but that is nonsense, sorry. We have no idea how many more turns Quintana would have had to do and how many less Contador, so that Contador would be 1 minute faster. And as for my other question, wouldn't other riders like Brambilla be right on Contador's wheel to outsprint him?
It's a shame he didn't win but he just wasn't strong enough. Same for the Peña Cabarga stage, I'm sure he really wanted to win but it wasn't meant to be.
If he had sat back, been outsprinted by Brambilla and with the resulting incoherence in the front group had only gained 1 minute or so on Froome, people would call him stupid too. Whatever he does, it's always wrong for some people.

Re:

Ataraxus said:
4 years ago, today Alberto made the move which won him the Vuelta and put him for good in the pantheon of cycling champions.
Facebook reminded me :razz:
yep :) :)
Crk1GdIW8AAqB2M.jpg

LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:
Even in this shape, he should have gained a good 30s on Quintana, not lost 30s
I don't mean to offend but that is nonsense, sorry. We have no idea how many more turns Quintana would have had to do and how many less Contador, so that Contador would be 1 minute faster. And as for my other question, wouldn't other riders like Brambilla be right on Contador's wheel to outsprint him?
It's a shame he didn't win but he just wasn't strong enough. Same for the Peña Cabarga stage, I'm sure he really wanted to win but it wasn't meant to be.
If he had sat back, been outsprinted by Brambilla and with the resulting incoherence in the front group had only gained 1 minute or so on Froome, people would call him stupid too. Whatever he does, it's always wrong for some people.

Contador lost less time on La Camperona to Quintana. Surely you see the problem with your argument? And I'm not talking about the stage win, Brambilla can take it. But even if he gained 90 seconds on Froome instead of 150, it's irrelevant, because at this point Quintana is the leader and the guy Contador really needs to focus on dropping if he wants to win

Unless of course Contador is just aiming for a podium with no ambition of winning

No. If he wants to win, he needs to close the gap to all rivals, not just to Quintana. I'm sure he could have lost less time to Quintana if he hadn't blown himself up (he actually managed to limit his losses somewhat on La Camperona and also on Aubisque), but he wanted to go for the stage victory.

Lets not forget how much of a critical role the race radio played alongside live TV coverage in the DS cars for Contador to know to make that attack. Steven de Jongh said "We could see Froome was not there, Chaves was not there. You could see that, it was live on television, so I could see the composition of the race quite good, so we could inform the riders and then they all knew it was gonna be, yeah, a very hard day and spectacular day".

PremierAndrew said:
With Froome 2 minutes down the road, Quintana and Movistar would have agreed to absolutely anything. The fact that Quintana was not absolutely exhausted by the time the final climb came about is proof that Contador messed up. Even in this shape, he should have gained a good 30s on Quintana, not lost 30s
Quite the contrary. Quintana pulled that entire climb, that's what Contador wanted. Also the best use of having a rider like Nairo Quintana in the break. Had Contador not cramped up in the end he would taken the stage win or at least a second place behind Brambilla in the sprint, gained a whole chunk of time on everyone but Nairo and even a few seconds on him. Absolutely the best case scenario at that point.

What you're thinking of is totally unfeasible in reality. It's impossible to guess at what Movistar would've done had Tinkoff decided to sit up, and what a few more pulls from Nairo would've meant. You had no idea what Froome's legs where like out back. You'd be willing to risk everything on maybe taking a few more seconds on Nairo, by all likelihood gaining a fair chunk less time on Froome? And risking all of it being for naught, and losing minutes on tired legs on a regrouped peloton, with a lot of relatively fresh Movistar legs on that last climb?

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site

MacBAir said:
Contador quickly went from one of my favorites to number 1 enemy, as far as cycling goes.

He won exactly 0 with this stage. He burned himself out just for Froome to lose, for some reason. He is now a sellout that does moves like this (at least since his last GC win) out of despair and to try and stay relevant, not to win at all.

Froome is the guy that doesn't f*** around. Froome is the guy that attacked on descents and won stages like that. Froome is the guy that attacked on the flat with Sagan. Froome is the guy that actually tried and win the Vuelta after winning the Tour. Froome is the guy that also tried to win and actually won medals at the Olympics. Froome also competed during the year.

He did all of that this year. He deserves all of the respect of honest cycling fans. He is extremely polite on and off his bike, an warrior and doesn't f*** around.

I just don't know how so many members could cheer for all of those riders helping Quintana (that barely worked until the last climb. He was by far the rider that worked less.), some of those with nothing to win or could only win an anonymous GC placing, and criticize Astana, for example.

Orica also raced like useless cowards, waking when it was too late.

Froome is a champion, but exhausted. It seems to me that Contador selling out and being such an hypocrite just killed this Vuelta.

I hope Alberto keeps getting demolished on any important race, from now on. It's also funny to me that Froome will end with a much better Palmares than Alberto, after everything is said and done.

That's funny after saying in the stage 15 thread that you loved Contador so much.

He won a lot this stage, he took time from every GC rider not name Quintana and he's now in a great position for a podium.

As for Quintana and Froome i don't really see any difference between what the Colombian did yesterday and what CF did with Sagan, both saw an opportunity to take time when another rider attacked and both ceased it.

Finally Froome is not some kind of white knight racing for the sake of entertaining or anything, his attack on the descent in the Tour and him following Sagan's attack were great and he definitely deserves praises for that but he's also the guy who neutralized the race before the Ventoux climb because "he needed a pee break" and allowed his teammates to get back in the peloton.

LaFlorecita said:
Personally I think both of them were amazing, kudos to Contador for being brave, taking the initiative and giving Quintana the opportunity, kudos to Quintana for having the courage to grasp the opportunity and for finishing it off. Kudos to both riders for not just relying on their teammates and other riders but working their asses off to help the break stay away. Kudos to Movistar for disrupting the chase. Kudos to Rovny, Trofimov, Castroviejo and Fernandez for working their asses off for their leaders. Kudos to the other members of the break for not sitting on their hands and cooperating. Kudos to Brambilla for winning.
It was a great stage, made possible by all riders in the break. Can we just agree on that and not argue whether rider x was more amazing than rider y?
Great post.

Amaru said:
MacBAir said:
Contador quickly went from one of my favorites to number 1 enemy, as far as cycling goes.

He won exactly 0 with this stage. He burned himself out just for Froome to lose, for some reason. He is now a sellout that does moves like this (at least since his last GC win) out of despair and to try and stay relevant, not to win at all.

Froome is the guy that doesn't f*** around. Froome is the guy that attacked on descents and won stages like that. Froome is the guy that attacked on the flat with Sagan. Froome is the guy that actually tried and win the Vuelta after winning the Tour. Froome is the guy that also tried to win and actually won medals at the Olympics. Froome also competed during the year.

He did all of that this year. He deserves all of the respect of honest cycling fans. He is extremely polite on and off his bike, an warrior and doesn't f*** around.

I just don't know how so many members could cheer for all of those riders helping Quintana (that barely worked until the last climb. He was by far the rider that worked less.), some of those with nothing to win or could only win an anonymous GC placing, and criticize Astana, for example.

Orica also raced like useless cowards, waking when it was too late.

Froome is a champion, but exhausted. It seems to me that Contador selling out and being such an hypocrite just killed this Vuelta.

I hope Alberto keeps getting demolished on any important race, from now on. It's also funny to me that Froome will end with a much better Palmares than Alberto, after everything is said and done.

That's funny after saying in the stage 15 thread that you loved Contador so much.

He won a lot this stage, he took time from every GC rider not name Quintana and he's now in a great position for a podium.

As for Quintana and Froome i don't really see any difference between what the Colombian did yesterday and what CF did with Sagan, both saw an opportunity to take time when another rider attacked and both ceased it.

Finally Froome is not some kind of white knight racing for the sake of entertaining or anything, his attack on the descent in the Tour and him following Sagan's attack were great and he definitely deserves praises for that but he's also the guy who neutralized the race before the Ventoux climb because "he needed a pee break" and allowed his teammates to get back in the peloton.
Not to forget the deliberate upping of the pace from the SKY-trian, when Valverde crashed in one of the early stages of the 2012 Vuelta.

TRENDING THREADS