• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1722 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

KyoGrey said:
We have to simply assume the reality: Contador is older every year, his hability to climb, timetrial and recover from efforts have been in progressive decline since 2014, which is his peak year post-sanction.

Having said that, there has to be al least a liitle ounce of optimism for the Tour in the sense that Quintana is riding the Giro first and Froome will be unstabilised by all the media-storm surrounding Sky. The rest of the rivals are yet to show they are on Contador's level in the global of a 3-week GT.

Also, never underestimate the heart of a champion. Contador has cycling intangibles that most GT-contenders of our generation lack.

All true. Having said that, he ain't gonna make another Valverde. Berto's age is showing. I'd love to see him work his ass off for a teammate before he finally retires. Would be a way to add to his legend, if he can't win GTs anymore.

Really wish he would've stopped targeting TdF a couple years ago, and gone for Giro-Vuelta doubles instead. I think he's tarnished his palmares a little bit over wanting another Tour. (but understandable why he wants it)

Quintana hesitates to attack. Contador doesn't unless he's really bad. The reason Contador is so popular is he never dies wondering, what if I attacked? This is the type of racing that attracts fans and earns the respect of anyone who has ever raced a bike. Its about taking the initiative whilst racing rather than waiting for it to happen.

I am not a fanboy of AC for reasons that can't be discussed here but I do respect his style and courage. If Quintana can lose his timidity I would warm to him.

Re: Re:

Beech Mtn said:
KyoGrey said:
We have to simply assume the reality: Contador is older every year, his hability to climb, timetrial and recover from efforts have been in progressive decline since 2014, which is his peak year post-sanction.

Having said that, there has to be al least a liitle ounce of optimism for the Tour in the sense that Quintana is riding the Giro first and Froome will be unstabilised by all the media-storm surrounding Sky. The rest of the rivals are yet to show they are on Contador's level in the global of a 3-week GT.

Also, never underestimate the heart of a champion. Contador has cycling intangibles that most GT-contenders of our generation lack.

All true. Having said that, he ain't gonna make another Valverde. Berto's age is showing. I'd love to see him work his *** off for a teammate before he finally retires. Would be a way to add to his legend, if he can't win GTs anymore.

Really wish he would've stopped targeting TdF a couple years ago, and gone for Giro-Vuelta doubles instead. I think he's tarnished his palmares a little bit over wanting another Tour. (but understandable why he wants it)

Next year he will do Giro-Vuelta.

Now it's too late to redo again his whole career, but it's interesting to fantasize what could have been of Contador had he suffered less of the new age Tour-obsession.

Had he simply alternated Tour and Giro-Vuelta seasons since 2007 we could even be talking of double-figures GT wins or even, even considering him reaching Binda, Coppi, Merckx 5 Giros. Who knows...

KyoGrey said:
GraftPunk said:
KyoGrey said:

That being panache, though the 2016 Froome antics may indicate some aggression and future exploits on his part. Quintana I think is still finding himself as a (very very good) rider.

Mmm, when everything is set and done years from now Froome's career panache performances will be dimly remembered in comparison to Contador's.

Don't get me wrong, Froome is an extraterrestrial rider, but he is a bioengineered war machine whilst Contador is more of an artist.

Quintana on the other hand is almost a cycling clerk in the office: unemotional, efficent, relentless. He has the positive of having been in some interesting chapters like the Stelvio-gate or the Formigal Showdown, but never as the main instigator. He has more years to write other chapters in his storybook, also.

Yes but the market interests have favored bioengineering, an entrepeneurial and wholesome image. It never ceases to amaze me how modern cycling is driven by this, if primarily to sell bikes, ever more costly and in those places where they can be sold. The idea that one should "know his place" is a powerful class factor

I think Alberto Contador is the best rider of his generation and wonderful to have in any race as he lights it up ...His 2009 Tour was the time I came back to cycling ...a definite super star

But people on here got to start accepting that he is not the rider he used to be ...but he can light a race up but I cannot now see him outclimbing Froome or Quintana. There are even a few other riders he will not out climb in every race

For a while now ...maybe since 2015 he has looked tired and drawn . He looks always too thin and also like he is putting himself under too much pressure to be that thin to compete against Froome ,. Also under pressure to win at any cost and also even more pressure to entertain and attack as his supporters demand

I would prefer to have him racing than not . I don't expect him to win nor do I slag him off if he doesn;t (as some on here do) I dont get angry or upset if he doesn't beat his rivals ...nor attack or name call those rivals if they are better

There is no dishonour in losing ...it happens to everyone
And none in getting old

Stop with the over the top emotional roller coaster in relation to Contador . Just let it be and watch him race
I think this will be his last year

KyoGrey said:
GraftPunk said:
KyoGrey said:

That being panache, though the 2016 Froome antics may indicate some aggression and future exploits on his part. Quintana I think is still finding himself as a (very very good) rider.

Mmm, when everything is set and done years from now Froome's career panache performances will be dimly remembered in comparison to Contador's.

Don't get me wrong, Froome is an extraterrestrial rider, but he is a bioengineered war machine whilst Contador is more of an artist.

Quintana on the other hand is almost a cycling clerk in the office: unemotional, efficent, relentless. He has the positive of having been in some interesting chapters like the Stelvio-gate or the Formigal Showdown, but never as the main instigator. He has more years to write other chapters in his storybook, also.

The world is changing. The technology and the bio-science is available for everyone to take advantage on, yet there is still only 2 riders in the peloton that everyone is really afraid/concerned of when they start for GT. Let's not take anything away from them, they are remarkable cyclist of this era, period. Their character only resembles how world is in general becoming in all markets, faceless, un-emotional, result driven and led by scientific research and associated gain of enhancement.

I hope we will still see Balas, Bertos and Nibalis in the future, but unfortunately I don't see their all-or-nothing attitude to be copied successfully anymore.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
For a while now ...maybe since 2015 he has looked tired and drawn . He looks always too thin and also like he is putting himself under too much pressure to be that thin to compete against Froome ,. Also under pressure to win at any cost and also even more pressure to entertain and attack as his supporters demand
I don't think he looks too thin in fact I think he looks much healthier than the Froomes, Portes and Tejays of this world and please let it stay that way.
He looked really skinny in his younger years although he still had some baby fat on him. Now he has more muscle but the only time I thought he looked scarily thin was at the 2014 TDF - still much less skeleton-like than Froome though

I agree though that he looks tired these days but that may just be his age showing

And none in getting old

Stop with the over the top emotional roller coaster in relation to Contador . Just let it be and watch him race
I agree with you, people need to adjust their expectations. We all want to see him fly away uphill but it's not going to happen anymore. His (potential) wins will be based more on pure gut and grit.
But I think it's normal people get a bit emotional, it's hard to see him slowly fade away and trade in his role as a protagonist for that of a supporting character
I can only hope he rides on for as long as he enjoys and doesn't let his fans' cries influence his decision. And I hope he'll give some good shows and a few more exciting wins for us to enjoy

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGP3p5eda7k

Some words from Berto after the stage (in English). He says he wasn't sure whether to go for the stage or the GC and acknowledges it might have been better to go with Porte to battle for the stage win.

I think he feels a lot of pressure to win something and repay his teammates and the team management for their confidence
Of course it would have been better if he could respond to the attack and stay with Porte, that would improve his chances drastically of winning the overall GC. Its not one way or the other

There is nothing more simple than to ride away from the others if you are being better than the others on a climb so hard at this inside the last 3 kilometres. You simply just push as hard as you can for 10 minutes. Which basically was what he did and what Henao succumbed to the last kilometer. Brutally honest, I think Alberto knows that. ;)

LaFlorecita said:
HelloDolly said:
I don't think he looks too thin in fact I think he looks much healthier than the Froomes, Portes and Tejays of this world and please let it stay that way.
He looked really skinny in his younger years although he still had some baby fat on him. Now he has more muscle but the only time I thought he looked scarily thin was at the 2014 TDF - still much less skeleton-like than Froome though

I agree though that he looks tired these days but that may just be his age showing

And none in getting old

I agree with you, people need to adjust their expectations. We all want to see him fly away uphill but it's not going to happen anymore. His (potential) wins will be based more on pure gut and grit.
But I think it's normal people get a bit emotional, it's hard to see him slowly fade away and trade in his role as a protagonist for that of a supporting character
I can only hope he rides on for as long as he enjoys and doesn't let his fans' cries influence his decision. And I hope he'll give some good shows and a few more exciting wins for us to enjoy
I always feel that Porte looks like the fattest climber of the peloton :eek:

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Hard decisions for Contador today. Follow Porte or stay with a flagging Henao?

Everyone knows you're actually going slower when slipping in behind an attacking rider so clearly there was a balance to be met here. He eventually showed class and grace in letting Porte win and at a deficit of 20 seconds in the span of a km too, despite a coordinated TV appearance of an intense effort in dispatching the never-won-a-stage-race-once-Henao.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
I think Alberto Contador is the best rider of his generation and wonderful to have in any race as he lights it up ...His 2009 Tour was the time I came back to cycling ...a definite super star

But people on here got to start accepting that he is not the rider he used to be ...but he can light a race up but I cannot now see him outclimbing Froome or Quintana. There are even a few other riders he will not out climb in every race

I would prefer to have him racing than not . I don't expect him to win nor do I slag him off if he doesn;t (as some on here do) I dont get angry or upset if he doesn't beat his rivals ...nor attack or name call those rivals if they are better

And none in getting old

This is the best post I've seen for a while. I'm not a fan of Contador but I quite like his riding. It's some of his fans on here who believe he is the only rider who is allowed to win and come up with all sorts of excuses if he doesn't, which put people off liking him. Yesterdays race I believe he did the right thing in going for GC, I don't think he could have kept up with Porte so let him go. There's always PV for his first win in Trek colours and I also believe he needs to impress there to give his Tour rivals something to think about in July.

Re:

hazaran said:
Hard decisions for Contador today. Follow Porte or stay with a flagging Henao?

Everyone knows you're actually going slower when slipping in behind an attacking rider so clearly there was a balance to be met here. He eventually showed class and grace in letting Porte win and at a deficit of 20 seconds in the span of a km too, despite a coordinated TV appearance of an intense effort in dispatching the never-won-a-stage-race-once-Henao.

Did you type that with a straight face, crazy comment..

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGP3p5eda7k

Some words from Berto after the stage (in English). He says he wasn't sure whether to go for the stage or the GC and acknowledges it might have been better to go with Porte to battle for the stage win.

I think he feels a lot of pressure to win something and repay his teammates and the team management for their confidence
Of course it would have been better if he could respond to the attack and stay with Porte, that would improve his chances drastically of winning the overall GC. Its not one way or the other

Then he shouldn't have been at the front when Porte attacked. That's just cycling 101. Ergo he wasn't racing against Porte, as I have said. The point isn't even whether or not he could have followed, which really doesn't matter, because it's moot. The point to the contrary is what tactic would have gained him the most advantage. Evidently he now feels perhaps it would have been more fortuitous to mark Porte, in which case he would not have been forcing the pace the moment his attack came. Had that played out then no discussions about whether or not he could have followed would have been necessary. As it was, they were irrelevant. At any rate, Porte was certainly flying. Too bad he lost 14 plus minutes during a previous stage (sic!), which rather made his climbing prowess of too little too late consequence.

TRENDING THREADS