• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1779 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
After watching today's race, are there still people with the dream of a TDF win for AC? He is simply not in the same league as these younger riders. I really do wonder why age is big differentiator in performance.

Re:

jilbiker said:
After watching today's race, are there still people with the dream of a TDF win for AC? He is simply not in the same league as these younger riders. I really do wonder why age is big differentiator in performance.

No.

But I'll wait till the end of the Dauphine. He looked in pain so I don't really believe this myself, but...maybe this was him "not pushing himself to hard." Perhaps he'll have more of a dig tomorrow.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
well.. well... I'm disappointed watching Contador rode today. He was horrible. Sure, he's in training mode, but my Godness, that means he is way far far behind from everyone now. How much 3 weeks can bring him up to par to Froome and Porte? Tomorrow will be even depressing then..

What I don't get is why he went so deep today. Either he feels good and tries to get the win, or he just doesn't have it and should drop as soon as he noticed that since thats exactly what he said in every interview. Now he spent a lot of energy and everyone saw that his shape isn't good. Worst case scenario for him.

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Vino attacks everyone said:
How does he put in the same tt time as Froome and then get demolished the day after? Seems weird to me?

I think that he thought that it was too hard to follow Froome and decided to follow AV, I'm not sure that he was at his limit in the climb. He reminds me of Dauphiné 09

Gigs_98 said:
What I don't get is why he went so deep today. Either he feels good and tries to get the win, or he just doesn't have it and should drop as soon as he noticed that since thats exactly what he said in every interview. Now he spent a lot of energy and everyone saw that his shape isn't good. Worst case scenario for him.
I think he feels OK and was going for the win as usual; on the back of a very good TT. He managed to stay on Valverde's wheel so I wouldn't say his shape 'isn't good'. Anyway, at least he sat up and rested on the descent.

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
He looked like he was pedaling squares up that hill, in all sorts of discomfort. Perhaps he really is just at the Dauphine to get quality racing mileage. But like others have said, Froome and Porte can also be expected to improve between now and the Tour.

He's also at a disadvantage on descents. Not as good a descender as Froome, Valverde, etc. He was gapped about 15 seconds to Valverde and Bardet on the finishing descent today.

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Re:

buchanan said:
He looked like he was pedaling squares up that hil, in all sorts of discomfort. But perhaps he really is just at the Dauphine to get quality racing mileage. But like others have said, Froome and Porte can also be expected to improve between now and the Tour.

He's also at a disadvantage on descents. Not as good a descender as Froome, Valverde, etc. He was gapped about 15 seconds to Valverde and Bardet on the finishing descent today.

Froome and Porte won't improve they always come at 99% in DL

He let go on the descent, he didnt want to take any chances

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

How does he put in the same tt time as Froome and then get demolished the day after? Seems weird to me?
Froome did a awful time trial. Contador (when he is good) would never have lost time to valverde in a time trial

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
TheYouyou7 said:

I think that he thought that it was too hard to follow Froome and decided to follow AV, I'm not sure that he was at his limit in the climb. He reminds me of Dauphiné 09
Lol...

It's my opinion you foolish fanboy... Maybe you were in his body and have more information than i do...?

TheYouyou7 said:

i_believe_in_unicorns_by_feanne.png

TheYouyou7 said:
Valv.Piti said:
TheYouyou7 said:

Lol...

It's my opinion you foolish fanboy... Maybe you were in his body and have more information than i do...?
Haha, ok. He dropped despite he could follow Porte and Froome, makes sense bro.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

TheYouyou7 said:
buchanan said:
He looked like he was pedaling squares up that hil, in all sorts of discomfort. But perhaps he really is just at the Dauphine to get quality racing mileage. But like others have said, Froome and Porte can also be expected to improve between now and the Tour.

Froome and Porte won't improve they always come at 99% in DL

He let go on the descent, he didnt want to take any chances
At dauphine, froome is close to be in top shape but he ISN'T in top shape.

TRENDING THREADS