• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1778 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

bob.a.feet said:
Cance > TheRest said:
I could not help but notice this ridiculous post in the CN comments section

"I like the idea of Contador riding the Giro but it depends upon the level of competition. If the level is as high as this year he is better off riding a race he can be competitive in like the Tour of California.

Regardless, he should focus on the Vuelta. While Contador has never been able to compete with the top echelon of riders when they are in top form he has shown the ability to keep a high level of riding all year. Subsequently, he has made a career out of riding against weaker, tired and out of form riders in the Vuelta. This should still be his focus rather than his annual crusade hoping to get a top 7 to 15 placement at the Tour. Mollema has fulfilled that role the last 8 years much better than Contador as Mollema has actually been relevant in the race. Trek should focus on Mollema and Pantano."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dauphine-guercilena-keen-to-keep-contador-as-he-builds-for-2018/

One of the funniest comments I've read in a while.
Literally only finished outside the top 5 once
At 22 years! :eek:

That post really reminds me of a poster on here, who has been posting a bit after a break of several years, most of their posts are troll posts about Contador going for a place between 5 and 10 at the Tour.
Would not be surprised if it's the same person

Interesting article though.

Guercilena is keen to keep the Spaniard and the feedback from inside the team is that the rider's wealth of experience on the bike – and with other manufactures – is a huge positive for their development.

There is no shortage of riders on the market and that doesn't exclude Contador. The Spaniard may be 34 but he has already indicated that he will carry on 2018 and the Giro d'Italia will almost certainly be his main focus next season. One rumour at the Dauphine is that he will retire after the race but the most likely situation is that he will race the full season. Trek are keen for him to race until the end of 2018. Either way, Guercilena is keen on retaining the Spaniard.
So there is a rumor going around at the Dauphiné that Berto will retire after the '18 Giro? Tbh, I'd expect him to do the Vuelta as a farewell.

Honestly if Contador wins it's the scenario in which him retiring seems the most probable.

I don't think Contador has had that big a sample size of post Tour seasons where he showed he didn't really care about the Vuelta. Only 3 years where it would've been a possibility, which were his 3 Tour wins, but the first one I can really understand it, and for 2010 clinic story had already come out.

I do think he hasn't had a particular affiliation with the Vuelta unlike many other Spaniards have had, but I think that's also had to do with him winning his first GT at the biggest stage already, and he's had nothing but good experiences riding the Giro.

Honestly, if I were the Vuelta I would throw the extremely obvious bone and have a stage finish (or go all out and penultimate day TT) in Pinto. Throw Contador that bone.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
Honestly if Contador wins it's the scenario in which him retiring seems the most probable.

I don't think Contador has had that big a sample size of post Tour seasons where he showed he didn't really care about the Vuelta. Only 3 years where it would've been a possibility, which were his 3 Tour wins, but the first one I can really understand it, and for 2010 clinic story had already come out.

I do think he hasn't had a particular affiliation with the Vuelta unlike many other Spaniards have had, but I think that's also had to do with him winning his first GT at the biggest stage already, and he's had nothing but good experiences riding the Giro.

Honestly, if I were the Vuelta I would throw the extremely obvious bone and have a stage finish (or go all out and penultimate day TT) in Pinto. Throw Contador that bone.
Bola del mundo would be a nice MTF on stage 20.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
“We tried different materials. Trek is always working very well with this, and we made changes in the last moment, and today it felt a little strange, but we still have three weeks before the Tour.”

Contador used a modified handlebar setup that put him in a different aero position. The adjustments could be crucial for him to defend or perhaps even gain time against rivals in the Tour.

I thought he looked uncomfortable during ITT. No wonder, he looked like he was stretched out on his TT bike the other day.

Re:

Red Rick said:

In 2009 he was mentally broken after the drama with Lance; and Vino's return to the team in August didn't help. The clinic story in 2010 was made public after the Vuelta. IIRC his and Mosquera's adverse test results were announced the same day. But looking at how he finished the last ITT in that Tour, it was obvious he wasn't at his finest form to ride another GT.

Most climbers can't sprint on the flat and even on a slope apart from Rodriguez, Evans and Valverde there hasn't been isn't many good ones in recent times. TJVG can't sprint but good enough to beat Landa ! Thomas, Froome, Rolland,Nibali,Contador and Wiggins can't sprint. Porte is terrible which is why he wins on the break all the time. The only exception really is Valverde at the moment and Martin. Valverde has a real advantage with time bonuses if he is climbing well. Quintana seems to be sprinting better than he used to. Mountain sprints are more about strength not speed and Valverde has both. Sanchez also used to have a good sprint for a climber. Bardet and Pinot are not too bad but not against Valverde. Froome could sometimes egg beat away from tired riders sometimes close to the finish, whether that is a sprint or a late break when he never gets out of the seat I don't know. Not elegant but effective.

I doubt Alberto will ever win a sprint like this:
BradleyWigginsRomandie_2755753.jpg

Nibali and Froome both have a far better sprint than Bert.

"He isn't much worse than the average climber" why would he have to win a sprint?

http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=25732
6th of 34 ahead of some sprinty types even

http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=25734
2nd of a group of 27 climby/GC types

I'm also convinced we usually see him struggle to even keep the wheel of the riders sprinting for the stage because of burning too many matches during the stage
Obviously he's no Valverde but if he's still rather fresh and is well positioned + picks the right wheel, he can finish decently. We even saw Quintana finish 2nd in a GC sprint this Giro, all while staying in Pinot's and later Jungels' slipstream.

Re:

Netserk said:
Sorry, I should have quoted movingtarget ("Thomas, Froome, Rolland,Nibali,Contador and Wiggins can't sprint.")

No problem I actually had Wiggins in the back of my mind thinking he probably did win some but not in memory ! Most track riders have some sprinting ability even pursuiters. Dennis has won sprints but I wouldn't regard him as much of a climber not elite anyway.

TRENDING THREADS