• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1830 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Netserk said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Objectively speaking if I was told Contador would lose 10 seconds to Martin and 6 to Porte in a 2km to go steep uphill charge I would usually think he'd done well. I agree with those who say that it seemed like a worse performance than the clock shows.
It was a cat. 1 climb, with a longer duration than Peille. Contador should outclimb Martin here.
Peille came after a week of very hard racing though.

Seeing how Contador has lost his explosivity, this may be his worst stage this Tour. However, consistency seems to be declining. He's been mixing in the occasional average or off day every now ad then. That could be a huge problem.

Netserk said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Objectively speaking if I was told Contador would lose 10 seconds to Martin and 6 to Porte in a 2km to go steep uphill charge I would usually think he'd done well. I agree with those who say that it seemed like a worse performance than the clock shows.
It was a cat. 1 climb, with a longer duration than Peille. Contador should outclimb Martin here.

With 2 km to go, if the favourites are still together and Valverde isn't in the field, Martin is the outright favourite. He's not the outright favourite at the bottom of the mountain, of course, but if nobody gets rid of the punchy guys they will punch away from riders like Contador.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Climber123 said:
He looked really strong, not sure why everyone is worried.
even he himself said he did not feel good, that is worrying

two positive notes - he limited his losses to just 6 seconds and he has seemingly learned how to pace himself

So he rode well whilst on a bad day?

Angliru said:
rhubroma said:
Contador rode smartly today, but isn't in 2014 shape. Had he been, he would have attacked with Aru and then Froome and Porte in person would have had to jump.

Aru has always made those bold attacks when he wins, taking advantage of his rivals frankly underestimating his potential, which may have been justified in the past, but now no longer. It will be interesting to see how Aru handles his new-found prowess, because he won't be given a leash at all from here on out. Not that he was given one today, because he simply was flying. And I said he would be, because I saw him win the Italian national championships after the Dauphine, where he was already very strong. Go Fabio! If only he were a better TTer, he could really stick it to Froome and Sky this time.

Sorry for the digression, but this does revolve around Contador, who must find it difficult to see a younger rider be able to light up a course the way he used to perform. It doesn't seem he is able to reach the level required any longer, though I wouldn't have thought, even at his age, considering his pedigree, he would not be able to still muster it with all out dedication. The only thing that can be hoped for Contador, is that he planned to reach peak form in the second and third weeks. But this is probably wishful thinking.

10 years is a long time to be riding the wave of an athlete's elite level of performance. I would think that eventually it becomes harder and harder to maintain that same dedication to training and dietary discipline. Obviously he is still at an elite level in his discipline but the years take their toll on every man (and woman). Valverde is the exception to all of this and that may be because he simply loves riding his bike. I really doubt there is any period of more than a week (and I doubt that long) during the year where he isn't on his bike either training, tooling around, or riding with his "crew".

Yes the diet and dedication requires iron will, though AC has always been known for that. At any rate, they've been talking a lot in Italy about Aru, how he's 3ks lighter (!) and how maniacal he's been about every aspect of being a cyclist. When there was only time for a salad between training and biomechanics, he only ate a salad. Glad to see all the dedication is paying off. Make's me wonder, though, has Contador been doing likewise?

Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
This is the interview of alberto after the stage 5. How would you comment on this?

Alberto Contador (Trek-Segafredo) finished the fifth day of the Tour de France in eighth position of the General Classification, at 52 seconds from Chris Froome (Team Sky).

The fifth stage of La Grande Boucle was a difficult test for the Spaniard. "There was a moment when I had to slow down to take some air," said the rider to the media at the end of the stage. "There were differences and that is never good, but we saved the day and that is good. Now we have two days to recover from this physical wear."

Contador doesn't think that any conclusions can be made based on one stage. "I will have to stop to study the general classification standings, but the differences haven't been big considering the way we climbed. This is a Tour in which you have to be particularly consistent. I will see if in the Alps, a place that I like, we can try to do something," he commented.

The rider also indicated that he was not expecting an attack from Fabio Aru, who eventually won the stage, because he was focused on other riders. "I was looking out more for (Chris) Froome and Richie Porte. Aru is very strong, and he already showed it in the Dauphine. But I was just looking at those two," explained the Trek-Segafredo rider.

iGROTROn said:
This is the interview of alberto after the stage 5. How would you comment on this?

Alberto Contador (Trek-Segafredo) finished the fifth day of the Tour de France in eighth position of the General Classification, at 52 seconds from Chris Froome (Team Sky).

The fifth stage of La Grande Boucle was a difficult test for the Spaniard. "There was a moment when I had to slow down to take some air," said the rider to the media at the end of the stage. "There were differences and that is never good, but we saved the day and that is good. Now we have two days to recover from this physical wear."

Contador doesn't think that any conclusions can be made based on one stage. "I will have to stop to study the general classification standings, but the differences haven't been big considering the way we climbed. This is a Tour in which you have to be particularly consistent. I will see if in the Alps, a place that I like, we can try to do something," he commented.

The rider also indicated that he was not expecting an attack from Fabio Aru, who eventually won the stage, because he was focused on other riders. "I was looking out more for (Chris) Froome and Richie Porte. Aru is very strong, and he already showed it in the Dauphine. But I was just looking at those two," explained the Trek-Segafredo rider.

No surprises really. Explaining the obvious

iGROTROn said:

Thats the entire interview?
You mean, he made no excuses for him losing time?
Very strange.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
silvergrenade said:
iGROTROn said:

Very strange.

Well he couldn't get air :D

silvergrenade said:
iGROTROn said:

Very strange.

Just couldn't resist a little dig, huh?

Angliru said:
silvergrenade said:
iGROTROn said:

Very strange.

Thought you had me on ignore. :)

iGROTROn said:

This doesn't sound good. It was only one 15 minute or so effort.

silvergrenade said:
Angliru said:
silvergrenade said:
iGROTROn said:

Very strange.

Thought you had me on ignore. :)

I do. That's the benefit of that feature except the quotes make me curious to see the entire conversational flow. Plus your posts are like a traffic accident that I occasionally can't help but take a peek at. ;) :)
I keep hoping you will surprise me and prove my expectations wrong. :)

LaFlorecita said:
Climber123 said:

two positive notes - he limited his losses to just 6 seconds and he has seemingly learned how to pace himself

More worrying would be if he said that he felt great, that the Tour is long, that 10-20 sec is nothing, etc. I think he's fine, and I think he'll be even more fine :p

Blanco said:
LaFlorecita said:
Climber123 said:

More worrying would be if he said that he felt great, that the Tour is long, that 10-20 sec is nothing, etc. I think he's fine, and I think he'll be even more fine :p
Yeah if he didn't feel good then that suggests there is more to come.

Brullnux said:
Blanco said:
LaFlorecita said:
Climber123 said:

It's strange with Contador, when he says he's ok, he's not, and vice-versa. He's playing mind games all the time.

Blanco said:
LaFlorecita said:
Climber123 said:

Your posts give me hope! I don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site

Brullnux said:
Blanco said:
LaFlorecita said:
Climber123 said:

Why do you think he will feel good, and get air, when Aru, Porte, and Froome next time put the hammer down?

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I expected Contador to lose 10-20 seconds to Froome and Porte today so not worried at all. 2015 Contador would probably have finished 20-30 seconds back here.

There's a strong chance of rain on the Mont du Chat, and we all know how much Contador improves in the rain, even when he's in poor form - In 2015 he went from losing nearly three minutes to Froome up Saint-Martin to looking almost as good as him on the rainy Plateau de Bielle a few days later.

miguelindurain111 said:
Brullnux said:
Blanco said:
LaFlorecita said:
Climber123 said:

Why do you think he will feel good, and get air, when Aru, Porte, and Froome next time put the hammer down?

I think Contador has proven his ability to recover over many years. The kink in his armour now is his age. Just because he showed great recovery in past years does not mean he will show that now. Also, Contador was once very good descending but I am not sure if he's lost some descending confidence with his crashes in recent years?

LaFlorecita said:
lenric said:
LaFlorecita said:
lenric said:
Contador, on the other hand, has been greatly declining, rather than being more or less consistent since 2012, with 2014 being an outlier.
Many riders would give up a kidney to have such a gentle "great decline". We're 5 years on from 2012 and he's still in the fight for a podium position.

Another false equivalence. You're on fire today. ;)
You wrote he has been greatly declining since 2012. If that was the case, he'd be finishing in the gruppetto these days. His top level has dropped a few % during several years, that's not greatly declining.

When compared to the top riders, he has greatly declined. Relatively speaking (as in percentages, like you mentioned), both his level dropped and other riders level upped. Hence, his level, when compared to others (which is, in fact, what matters the most, not how many watts can he produce in a single day of training).

Re:

LanLions said:
I expected Contador to lose 10-20 seconds to Froome and Porte today so not worried at all. 2015 Contador would probably have finished 20-30 seconds back here.

There's a strong chance of rain on the Mont du Chat, and we all know how much Contador improves in the rain, even when he's in poor form - In 2015 he went from losing nearly three minutes to Froome up Saint-Martin to looking almost as good as him on the rainy Plateau de Bielle a few days later.
you're not wrong about the rain but the descent might be an issue in that case - I expect Froome to push it

TRENDING THREADS