• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 2025 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah I don't share that line of reasoning. Your legacy is not as important as doing whatever you enjoy, so as long as it's still overall a positive thing in your life why not keep doing it?

But also I don't think this kind of thing really affects your legacy at all in the long run. Nobody thinks less of Michael Jordan because his comeback with the Washington Wizards was underwhelming.

Yeah I don't share that line of reasoning. Your legacy is not as important as doing whatever you enjoy, so as long as it's still overall a positive thing in your life why not keep doing it?

But also I don't think this kind of thing really affects your legacy at all in the long run. Nobody thinks less of Michael Jordan because his comeback with the Washington Wizards was underwhelming.
Yeah it's always been BS based on fans refusing to set different expectations.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Contador could clearly still compete but winning Grand Tours was pretty much over and maybe he got sick of the pressure and rigidity of the pro riders life.

I don't think he stopped enjoying riding the bicycle.

He realized he wasn't going to win another GT and risked another decline in 2018, which, being a megalomaniac, wouldn't have accepted it. He needed to go out in fashion, not in a non-factor position for his standards (like Nibali in 2020, which was likely had he continued for another year).

He was bright, he knew when to stop in order to maximize his legacy and legend, which was all he cared for during the last races of his career.

But a question no one has asked, is Contador helping Morton hunt vampires and undercover Cofidis’s plot?

And that, of course, brings us to another question!
Luis Ángel Maté is currently riding home from the Vuelta. He used to ride for Cofidis; did he leave the team because he refused to be part of the Plot? And his he currently on a vampire hunting trip too? :oops:
Are all riders who go on these backpacking trips actually part of a Vampire Hunting Society?

He realized he wasn't going to win another GT and risked another decline in 2018, which, being a megalomaniac, wouldn't have accepted it. He needed to go out in fashion, not in a non-factor position for his standards (like Nibali in 2020, which was likely had he continued for another year).

He was bright, he knew when to stop in order to maximize his legacy and legend, which was all he cared for during the last races of his career.

Harsh on Nibali; there was no obvious decline from 2017 to 2018 to 2019. And unlike Contador he was a successful one day racer, so he had the 2020 Olympics as a target (which then - due to unforeseen circumstances - became 2021), so in the end there was never really a right time to retire for Vincenzo like there was for Alberto.

Madrid - Milano as described in Italiano here:

Percorso

Immediately after the Zoncolan, Contador began planning the trip to keep his promise.
And on Monday, in fact, he set out on the road.
It is also a pleasure trip for someone who gives bikes to the team with his Aurum brand and keeps fit by pedaling almost every day.

"They are a very organized group - continues Basso -. They have a car in tow for every need and have planned everything, from hotels to places to stop. The legs in Milan will be heavy, because the route is very demanding given the many mountains to pass. But they are all prepared people ".
In the meantime, the first two stages have already been completed: on Monday the Madrid-Zaragoza, 368 kilometers covered in 10 hours and 39 minutes that did not tire Contador:

"It was one of the best days I spent on a bicycle - the message on the Madrid's social networks -, a beautiful stage we faced with many friends: even if it may seem surprising, it seemed short and fast to us. And we continue our Madrid-Milan with the same enthusiasm ".

Yesterday, however, it was the turn of the Zaragoza-La Seoul d’Urgell (275.9 kilometers), not far from Andorra.
From where we will start again today and then arrive in Montpellier after 315 kilometers (the longest stage of this ride) after crossing the Spain-France border in the Pyrenees.
And tomorrow, to keep company with Contador and friends, Ivan Basso will arrive.
"I will join the group in Gap in the evening - says the man from Varese - and I will make the last two stages together with them.
I will be at the Sabatini Cup with the team and in the evening I will leave for France from Tuscany.
It is an opportunity to stay together, to support ourselves fit and plan the last races of the season ".

Contador's last race was mythical and legendary. I was a big Contador fan. I was just a bigger fan of Schleck. The last two years have been difficult for Nibali. There was a huge change in cycling from 2019 to 2020. Nibali was hampered by restrictions last year and injuries this year. He's past his best. Next year, with Astana, I expect a happy ending.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Harsh on Nibali; there was no obvious decline from 2017 to 2018 to 2019. And unlike Contador he was a successful one day racer, so he had the 2020 Olympics as a target (which then - due to unforeseen circumstances - became 2021), so in the end there was never really a right time to retire for Vincenzo like there was for Alberto.
There is one big difference between Nibali and Contador and that's that Contadors base level was a lot higher and that he always was comfortable with making accelerations even if he wasn't super good. Contador basically never was in the gruppetto in any stage race. That makes it a lot easier to make the final races memorable.

The way it's sad watching a rider still race is if they're just crashing everywhere and clearly not enjoying it, which was the case with Nibali this Giro. But it's never about going out on top. It boggles my mind how many Federer fans talk about how he should've retired after some Slam he won or how he should have won Wimbledon in 2019 and then retired.

There is one big difference between Nibali and Contador and that's that Contadors base level was a lot higher and that he always was comfortable with making accelerations even if he wasn't super good. Contador basically never was in the gruppetto in any stage race. That makes it a lot easier to make the final races memorable.

The way it's sad watching a rider still race is if they're just crashing everywhere and clearly not enjoying it, which was the case with Nibali this Giro. But it's never about going out on top. It boggles my mind how many Federer fans talk about how he should've retired after some Slam he won or how he should have won Wimbledon in 2019 and then retired.

Yeah, you're a long time retired (unless you're MJ or Lance). It's a big decision, especially if it's still mainly you that's making it.

I don't know. Pete Sampras retiring after the 2002 US Open was perfect timing imo. It's nice when it happens that way, though of course it's not going to make people remember him as a greater player than Federer.

TRENDING THREADS