• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
patrick767 said:
huh? One look at this year's TdF parcours is more than enough to blow away the silly notion that the ASO favors Andy Schleck. I don't know where you came up with that one.
ASO may not outright Favor Schleck but they do like the big money that is behind the group supporting him

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
SantiBotero said:
With Andy aiming for the Vuelta, the race will be much more interesting: Contador instead of winning by 20 minutes may win only by 15.

If Andy goes in form Andy can lost 2-3 min at max in the worst scenario and has a good chance for the victory

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Yes. Andy and Alberto are pretty much equals so the one that's most lucky wins.

There are some "Mende-esque" with bonification of 20-12-8 seconds and usual hilly ITT.

But Andy can get an stronger team and repeat a "Galibier" performance.

LaFlorecita said:
Yes. Andy and Alberto are pretty much equals so the one that's most lucky wins.

Not really, but I understand what you are trying to do ;)

If Andy is on form he will be competitive to a point. I just question how motivated he will actually be to compete on a lesser stage with a lesser team around him. Lots of uphill finishes, all in Contador's "backyard", with bonifications? I think Andy will need more than luck to pull out the victory.

Publicus said:
Not really, but I understand what you are trying to do ;)

If Andy is on form he will be competitive to a point. I just question how motivated he will actually be to compete on a lesser stage with a lesser team around him. Lots of uphill finishes, all in Contador's "backyard", with bonifications? I think Andy will need more than luck to pull out the victory.

What am I trying to do?

I honestly can't see Alberto beat Andy by a lot. He's only better in the TT.

LaFlorecita said:
What am I trying to do?

I honestly can't see Alberto beat Andy by a lot. He's only better in the TT.

Apologies. I read that as attempting to downplay his chances for fear of jinxing him--I guess I'm the only one who does that.:D I don't think they are equals in any way, but perhaps this Vuelta will alter my opinion.

LaFlorecita said:
But it's the only race we can use to compare them. Or do you prefer to use last year's Tour?

2009 is still available to compare the two. And frankly I'll take 2011 as well--an injured and fatigued Contador was still only a notch below a healthy Andy Schleck. I think barring the injuries and lost time from the first stage, Contador would have, at a minimum, finished on the podium (I think the Giro took too much out of him to win the overall).

Publicus said:
Apologies. I read that as attempting to downplay his chances for fear of jinxing him--I guess I'm the only one who does that.:D I don't think they are equals in any way, but perhaps this Vuelta will alter my opinion.

:p I hope Alberto can prove me wrong though.

Also when you're expecting the worst you'll never end up disappointed.

Publicus said:
2009 is still available to compare the two. And frankly I'll take 2011 as well--an injured and fatigued Contador was still only a notch below a healthy Andy Schleck. I think barring the injuries and lost time from the first stage, Contador would have, at a minimum, finished on the podium (I think the Giro took too much out of him to win the overall).

In 2009 Andy was still very young. I wouldn't take 2011, we just don't know how much the Giro and his crashes affected Alberto.

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:

I think it was mostly the injurys and only a little part the fatigue. He lost contact on the Galibier, but he was one of the riders who set the pace from long way from home. Also he was able to attack twice on the next day. And don't forget the time trial where he was able to finish 3rd. I think without the crashes he could have won the Tour. The worst part of this, that there is no if in sport :(

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
vcampbell said:
I think it was mostly the injurys and only a little part the fatigue. He lost contact on the Galibier, but he was one of the riders who set the pace from long way from home. Also he was able to attack twice on the next day. And don't forget the time trial where he was able to finish 3rd. I think without the crashes he could have won the Tour. The worst part of this, that there is no if in sport :(

If Cas would had to strip Contador about 2 Tours and 1 Giro...:rolleyes:

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
burning said:
Had he a hunger knock in Galibier? If he was really that cooked, next day he couldnt go crazy and the other day he got 3rd in TT

Nah, that was just a typical example of one going beyond its reserves in order not to be dropped as long as it's possible on adrenaline without thinking about the final outcome and then a logical atonement came.

TRENDING THREADS