Are you a Vegetarian?

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 16, 2009
19,482
1
0
Vegetarianism all the rage in MMA
SAN JOSE, Calif. – When Jon Fitch signed his first contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship in 2005, the former Purdue University wrestling captain could suddenly afford to eat whatever he wanted.

That meant meat. Lots of it.

“I would eat three meals a day with meat, and meat was the main part of every meal,” said Fitch, who is preparing for his biggest fight in years on Feb. 26 in Sydney, Australia against B.J. Penn in UFC 127. “I’d eat two steaks for dinner almost every night.”
 
Rice, beans, pasta, millet, bananas etc are all SUPER cheap and nutrient dense and CARB rich. Carb rich meals means more glycogen which means more watts to the road fellas.

Eating animal fat just adds to your body fat reserves. Eating animal protein is highly acidic and slows down recovery. Plant protein contains all essential amino acids and is easier to digest and WAY cheaper/tastier.

Not to mention the environmental COST.

Here is the stats.
http://www.vegetarianvictoria.org.au/going-vegetarian/eating-up-the-world.html

ANYONE that cares about the wellbeing of the planet and the starving and their health and ISNT a veghead is like someone complaining about extra traffic and still driving a car to work vs public transport/bike etc.
http://www.vegansociety.com/downloads/environbooklet.pdf
 
Apr 29, 2010
1,059
1
0
durianrider said:
Eating animal protein is highly acidic and slows down recovery

I'm actually starting to enjoy your fantasy chemistry. Kind of reminds me of the intelligent design peoples' use of "facts".
 
Without really realising it, I've recently become a recidivist vegetarian in the last month or so. I grew up a carnivore, gave meat up (without really thinking about it) for about five years until 2007. When I started eating meat again, it was never red meat. Now I find I've just stopped buying it altogether. Just no real need of it, I guess! :) (I'm not about to go vegan though)
 
Rip:30 said:
I'm actually starting to enjoy your fantasy chemistry. Kind of reminds me of the intelligent design peoples' use of "facts".

Read the China Study or your just another stone thrower that is not willing to hear the truth yet. ;)

You want science? The China Study is the most COMPREHENSIVE peer reviewed study EVER done on the dangers of animal products and the benefits of a low fat, high carb plant based lifestyle.

When its health or excuses, we can only have one, not both.
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Banana's are $13 a kilo at the moment, which is a little too expensive for me right now, but I will be eating a lot more fruit which is a little more friendly on the budget as money is going to be tight for me for the foreseeable future (I mean $3 for a 2kg bag of orange's which last me at least a couple of weeks). Other favourites are pineapple, apples, kiwifruit, and I've had Durian before, I think it is something you have to get used too before you like it.

BTW Harley, if I buy some green banana's, if I leave them in the pantry, how long should it take for them to become ripe to eat? Or if I put them in the fridge, will they ripen quicker?

I need to make a few changes, I'm 82kg, and I need to start getting my weight down.
 
craig1985 said:
Banana's are $13 a kilo at the moment, which is a little too expensive for me right now, but I will be eating a lot more fruit which is a little more friendly on the budget as money is going to be tight for me for the foreseeable future (I mean $3 for a 2kg bag of orange's which last me at least a couple of weeks). Other favourites are pineapple, apples, kiwifruit, and I've had Durian before, I think it is something you have to get used too before you like it.

BTW Harley, if I buy some green banana's, if I leave them in the pantry, how long should it take for them to become ripe to eat? Or if I put them in the fridge, will they ripen quicker?

I need to make a few changes, I'm 82kg, and I need to start getting my weight down.

don't put your bananas in the fridge as the cold slows down the ripening process.
the ripening process creates a gas from the bananas, and the more that gas is produced, the more it stimulates the ripening process, which is why when they go yellow, the seem to go off really quickly.
depending on how green they are, they'll take a few days to ripen.

here in the uk they sell nothing but completely green bananas - it's mental. I leave them in the plastic bag to contain the gas and speed up the ripening before removing and keeping in a fruit bowl.
 
craig1985 said:
Banana's are $13 a kilo at the moment, which is a little too expensive for me right now, but I will be eating a lot more fruit which is a little more friendly on the budget as money is going to be tight for me for the foreseeable future (I mean $3 for a 2kg bag of orange's which last me at least a couple of weeks). Other favourites are pineapple, apples, kiwifruit, and I've had Durian before, I think it is something you have to get used too before you like it.

BTW Harley, if I buy some green banana's, if I leave them in the pantry, how long should it take for them to become ripe to eat? Or if I put them in the fridge, will they ripen quicker?

I need to make a few changes, I'm 82kg, and I need to start getting my weight down.

82kg? Thats not heavy for your frame bro. Your not training at the mo cos of a broken bone yeah? Relax and just focus on healthy eating and early nights vs starving. Trying to drop weight whilst we eat the body fat/protein of other animals is like trying to make lifejackets out of lead. REALLY HARD lol!

Healthy eating to get and stay LEAN, FIT & STRONG involves keeping it high carb, low fat, low protein and vegan. Low sodium is healthy too especially if we aint sweating it out daily it will just store in our tissues and create water retention that people often mistake as fat.

NEVER limit your carb cals but do get rid of the animal products/oil/fried foods that just blow us out and weigh us down relative to our own potentials.

Rice, millet, corn etc are also great alternatives to bananas. Bananas are the most nutrient dense carb calorie on earth but if you cant afford em right now, do your best and carb up on the second best options. The amount of free low fat, high carb vegan rice recipes on the net is insane.
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
durianrider said:
82kg? Thats not heavy for your frame bro. Your not training at the mo cos of a broken bone yeah? Relax and just focus on healthy eating and early nights vs starving. Trying to drop weight whilst we eat the body fat/protein of other animals is like trying to make lifejackets out of lead. REALLY HARD lol!

Healthy eating to get and stay LEAN, FIT & STRONG involves keeping it high carb, low fat, low protein and vegan. Low sodium is healthy too especially if we aint sweating it out daily it will just store in our tissues and create water retention that people often mistake as fat.

NEVER limit your carb cals but do get rid of the animal products/oil/fried foods that just blow us out and weigh us down relative to our own potentials.

Rice, millet, corn etc are also great alternatives to bananas. Bananas are the most nutrient dense carb calorie on earth but if you cant afford em right now, do your best and carb up on the second best options. The amount of free low fat, high carb vegan rice recipes on the net is insane.

I'm back riding on the road and it's been about 3 weeks now, and I'm riding up to Lower Beechmont with a group (where I set my P/B of 18:23) on Tuesdays and each ride I'm getting better and better on each ride. Hopefully in about a month's time I'll be strong enough to race, and it looks like I'll be back at work soon so I can get some more banana's, and by the end of the year hopefully the price has dropped.

I think I still have your e-mail anyway.
 
When did you set your pb up lower beechmont? You know about http://www.cycle2max.com ?

129161956452805324.gif
 
Jun 15, 2010
1,318
0
0
I thought you were supposed to let Bananas ripen in a brown paper bag, or is that just an old wives tale?
 
Mar 19, 2009
571
0
0
simo1733 said:
I thought you were supposed to let Bananas ripen in a brown paper bag, or is that just an old wives tale?

They will get ripe faster that way ... or in a cardboard box.... it traps the gases and accelerates the ripening .... but it's not a requirement or anything ... lol.
 
Jun 21, 2011
134
0
0
Haven't gone back through all the thread, but I'm vegetarian and have started to add quinoa to my meals several times a week. Pretty simple to get enough protein with this stuff in your diet.
 
I ride and run my fastest on around 5% of my daily calories coming from protein. Anything over 10% is just slowing down our digestion, kidney and liver function.

Human mothers breast milk is 5% cals coming from protein. That speaks volumes.

Here is a vid of my gal when she switched to a low protein, high carb lifestyle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmqKjINgvoY

I ran a 4:52 mile in the Bronx at a USATF track meet on Friday night. I run around 10miles a week for the last 2 years. Reading Ryan Hall's book on page 92 he says 'Still not sure exactly what is making me feel so much better all of a sudden, but Im thankful for it. Ive also been experimenting with eating less meat and more plant based protein."

lol! Er, let me guess RH. ;)

Motivator.jpg