• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong Not the Focus?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Johnny Rotten said:
Mark me post here, I have a strong gut feeling Armstrong is not gonna take a fall on this doping investigation.

Sure he will be tarnished but no charges will be leveled against him and he will continue on.

I think this recent article is the beginning of the ground work being layed to shift the investigation away from him.

Sad but true really.

This is where it's been headed all along. For those that think Armstrong will do time behind bars; don't hold your breath. Will he be toasting future New Year's with rock stars and super models? No. His career will be revealed for what it was-that he was a highly paid monkey. That will be enough justice if the facilitators of his career get what they deserve.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Johnny Rotten said:
Mark me post here, I have a strong gut feeling Armstrong is not gonna take a fall on this doping investigation.

Sure he will be tarnished but no charges will be leveled against him and he will continue on.

I think this recent article is the beginning of the ground work being layed to shift the investigation away from him.

Sad but true really.

On what basis, exactly? I mean, why would they want to do this? What possible motivation would they have? Because without some compelling motivation there is zero reason for ambitious and aggressive law types to walk away from such a huge catch. Not when they have the goods on him.

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
frenchfry said:
I really doubt that Floyd would have thought things would turn out this way, though I could be wrong. I really don't think his motivation was to initiate a federal investigation but rather to lay out the raw truth in order to ease his conscience and maybe help improve cycling. There again I might be wrong - maybe vengence was a motivation as well. You must admit that Armstrong has seriously ****ed off a lot of people over the years, maybe Floyd figured it was payback time.

frenchfry,have been thinking exactly the same. If I can add a little more thought!
Question: what if radioshack had given a full time ride to Floyd in february?
Would Floyd have spilled the beans by now? --mm dont think so!! but !!
regarding the current situation: if Floyd was in my town, I would congratulate him, shake his hand and shout him to lunch
But if he had not come clean, I would not want to know him - just another doper in denial

cheers dallas

Oldman said:
For those that think Armstrong will do time behind bars; don't hold your breath.

Welcome back to the real world - glad to see you're not going to "fall on your sword" with that admission. Fortunately, for some of the more sensitive members reentry back into the real world will been slow and gentle. Anways, it's been a great eight or month so ride and its been very entertaining to watch for those not in your posse. Ah, the memories though, at least up until that fateful day when the hate posse road into town and the lead riders started to realize which way the wind was blowing. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

images

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
SpeedWay said:
Welcome back to the real world - glad to see you're not going to "fall on your sword" with that admission. Fortunately, for some of the more sensitive members reentry back into the real world will been slow and gentle. Anways, it's been a great eight or month so ride and its been very entertaining to watch for those not in your posse. Ah, the memories though, at least up until that fateful day when the hate posse road into town and the lead riders started to realize which way the wind was blowing. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

images

Don't feel the warmth of Lance's love too soon. He'll give up some names rather than do time. That's not the same as being innocent of wrongdoing or spending lots of dough to avoid incarceration.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Dallas_ said:
frenchfry,have been thinking exactly the same. If I can add a little more thought!
Question: what if radioshack had given a full time ride to Floyd in february?
Would Floyd have spilled the beans by now? --mm dont think so!! but !!
regarding the current situation: if Floyd was in my town, I would congratulate him, shake his hand and shout him to lunch
But if he had not come clean, I would not want to know him - just another doper in denial

cheers dallas

Ok if I tell you who cheats would you take me out to lunch and the tanning salon too? I mean really do you buy into this Largememberstong witch hunt also, oy Vey!

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Ok if I tell you who cheats would you take me out to lunch and the tanning salon too? I mean really do you buy into this Largememberstong witch hunt also, oy Vey!

Who is Largememberstrong? Sounds more like a contract actor for Vivid productions than a cyclist. Does he tan, also?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Don't feel the warmth of Lance's love too soon. He'll give up some names rather than do time.

I sure hope you are wrong on the "give up some names" prediction.
That would truly shake the foundation of my fanboyism:(

One of the MOST important parts of Omerrrrta is NOT to name names.
Even if you are innocently convicted, and you know the name of the true evil doer - you keep mum and serve the time.

Sure, Lance came close to crossing the line with his quiet and low-key donation for Testing Equipment. But no names were named.

And Lance's private e-mail to the Doping Authorities raising the flag on Spanish Blood Doping years ago did NOT name names.

If Lance names names I will truly be disappointed. Big Time.
Heck, it would make a mockery of the whole Simeoni Chase down.
Well, at least I would still have Eddy....

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
In an imperfect world with complicated and conflicting values and morals, some altruistic and others self-serving and vindictive existing within all of us simultaneously, situations like this cannot be served to us on the pious platter we'd prefer.

We just have to deal with it.

If Landis acted out of a thirst for revenge, then good for him. How many times has Armstrong done exactly the same thing?

What Armstrong is learning is the age-old lesson-to get back at a remorseless bully, you have to speak to them in the only language they understand, which is to punch them right in the face.

Armstrong is no longer protected by the cloak of omerta, which turned most well-meaning lesser players in Armstrong's reign of terror into blithering cowards. They saw those who spoke out marginalized and thought only of their careers and families. That is a tough choice for any man to have to consider.

I'm sure it must have been quite emasculating to have one's testicles cut off in public like Simeoni and a few others. He was one of the riders who suffered the most, publicly humiliated by the peloton and barred from riding his own national Tour by this yellow-clad ape.

So whatever Landis' reasons were for exposing Armstrong and Bruyneel, that's neither here nor there. It's not a viable argument for obstructing justice or sweeping this under the rug.

The conjecture will end as far as Armstrong's drug use the second we hear that another rider confirmed the organized team doping.

The ball is no longer in Armstrong's court. Now we all must wait and see what the next move will be.

Pretty sure, with a very high degree of confidence, that that has already happened.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
In an imperfect world with complicated and conflicting values and morals, some altruistic and others self-serving and vindictive existing within all of us simultaneously, situations like this cannot be served to us on the pious platter we'd prefer.

If Landis acted out of a thirst for revenge, then good for him. How many times has Armstrong done exactly the same thing?

What Armstrong is learning is the age-old lesson-to get back at a remorseless bully, you have to speak to them in the only language they understand, which is to punch them right in the face.

Armstrong is no longer protected by the cloak of omerta, which turned most well-meaning lesser players in Armstrong's reign of terror into blithering cowards. They saw those who spoke out marginalized and thought only of their careers and families. That is a tough choice for any man to have to consider.

I'm sure it must have been quite emasculating to have one's testicles cut off in public like Simeoni and a few others. He was one of the riders who suffered the most, publicly humiliated by the peloton and barred from riding his own national Tour by this yellow-clad ape.

So whatever Landis' reasons were for exposing Armstrong and Bruyneel, that's neither here nor there. It's not a viable argument for obstructing justice or sweeping this under the rug.

The conjecture will end as far as Armstrong's drug use the second we hear that another rider confirmed the organized team doping.

The ball is no longer in Armstrong's court. Now we all must wait and see what the next move will be.

I hate to be the messenger but my Lord has plans and he is thinking ahead of you. This is my opinion but evesdropping upon other sports enthusiasts Lance is moving forwards with other projects.

Keep up on twitter and watch him he is one wiley e. coyote...

May 25, 2009
Visit site
sartain said:
Pretty sure, with a very high degree of confidence, that that has already happened.

I thought this has already happened? I assume you mean "has come out in public" and said, the way Floyd has, that there was organized doping?

The New York Times and Wall Street Journal both have found at least 2 other teammates besides Landis who back up his claims?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/05/sports/cycling/05armstrong.html?_r=1
And the Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704911704575326753200584006.html

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:
I thought this has already happened? I assume you mean "has come out in public" and said, the way Floyd has, that there was organized doping?

The New York Times and Wall Street Journal both have found at least 2 other teammates besides Landis who back up his claims?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/05/sports/cycling/05armstrong.html?_r=1
And the Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704911704575326753200584006.html

Correct, not counting FL and TH, I believe that the number is at least another 4.

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:

I got a bite from flicker -mm I mentioned Floyd didnt I! Do I buy into this witch hunt caper? Well I call it a search for the truth. Greg and Betsy would like the truth revealed too. Go Novi. No tanning salon - how about chips?

cheers dallas

Oldman said:
Don't feel the warmth of Lance's love too soon. He'll give up some names rather than do time.

Well, to quote a cop from a movie, "You rat UP. You never rat DOWN".

He'll have to give up Dr. Ferarri, which I don't see happening.

Ferarri is the nefarious and ghostly figure who never seems to attract enough attention to actually get caught.

Of all of his clients who've been busted over the years, he's never paid the price for his involvement. Was Simeoni the only one who mentioned him in association with a drug investigation?

And he was marginalized out of existence for it. For me that is the $64,000 Euro question-is Ferarri in any way implicated in all this.

I've yet to hear his name come up, which given the breadth and scope of the Federal investigation appears rather odd.

Berzin said:

Ferarri is the nefarious and ghostly figure who never seems to attract enough attention to actually get caught.

Of all of his clients who've been busted over the years, he's never paid the price for his involvement. Was Simeoni the only one who mentioned him in association with a drug investigation?

And he was marginalized out of existence for it. For me that is the $64,000 Euro question-is Ferarri in any way implicated in all this.

I've yet to hear his name come up, which given the breadth and scope of the Federal investigation appears rather odd.

I think the key this time around with the FBI/Interpol involved cross border arrests are indeed possible. Prior to this the law would be outstretched across borders.

You're right about Ferrari. No one every seems to be able to lay a hand on him.

And there you had Lance defending the “family friend” Ferrari. Meanwhile the good Doctor was administering the transfusions himself!

hfer07 said:
...The feds are going after the doping ring -for what Bruyneel is going to fall first-then his testimony will be the key to confront and ultimately incriminate LA...

Oldman said:
1. USADA is after a system of illegal activity. Individual participants can and will save themselves by disclosing what they know about drugs, money and the means of distribution...

I kind of agree with hfer about going after the doping ring, and oldman about going after the system of illegal activity. To clarify, in my opinion, what I think the doping ring and illegal systems are, I think the feds are going after the ones making and distributing the drugs. I also agree some riders will be able to save themselves to an extent, but there may be some riders caught in the crossfire.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Dallas_ said:
I got a bite from flicker -mm I mentioned Floyd didnt I! Do I buy into this witch hunt caper? Well I call it a search for the truth. Greg and Betsy would like the truth revealed too. Go Novi. No tanning salon - how about chips?

cheers dallas

Yipes! If I got a bite from flicker I'd be running to the doctor for shots. Whatever he's got might be contagious.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:

You're missing the financial facilitators and long term team managers stateside: Weisel, Ochowicz. Ferrari would serve Interpol's needs if there was political traction to be gained over there.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:

The worst thing about this affair was that the Giro organisers decided that it was better to pay Armstrong 2 million euros to ride than include the team of their own country's national champion. It reflects very badly on the Giro organisers and sends a message that Armstrong is bigger than one of cycling's longest running events, at that time celebrating its 100th anniversary.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Sorry no matter how mean Lance is or was to Simeoni, if Simeoni had laid down on his back and barred his belly like a good dog there would have been no problem. It is not about the doping it is about bowing down.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Sorry no matter how mean Lance is or was to Simeoni, if Simeoni had laid down on his back and barred his belly like a good dog there would have been no problem. It is not about the doping it is about bowing down.
thank the lord there are riders like Simeoni who won't bow down. Or even better, like Landis ;).

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:

I can't wait to see who lays down and scratches their ears, with their foot, due to the upcoming disclosure.

Good dog, good boy, here's your treat...

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:

If I may be of assistance flicker - you must have been talking while posting. You jumbled up your last sentence.
Just fixed it "It is not about the bowing down, it is about the doping"
The way I see it, Simeoni was shafted big time by the omerta led by miracle boy.

and back on topic -> "Armstrong Not the Focus?" well ... I disagree
if the target lays down on his back and bares his belly like a good dog, it wont make any difference. At this very moment, Novi is in the process of sharpening his teeth. Stay tuned for the next episode ... and Greg wants justice too

Does this video fit part of the background to the puzzle? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmR9k8UAohs

cheers dallas

TRENDING THREADS