• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Athlete "Hall of Shame" Top 10

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Here is an Athlete "Hall of Shame" compiled by NBCSports:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37571954/ns/sports/displaymode/1247/?beginSlide=1

The Top 10 American Shameful are:
1) Roger Clemens
2) O.J. Simpson
3) Tiger Woods
4) Pete Rose
5) Mike Tyson
6) Barry Bonds
7) "Shoeless" Joe Jackson
8) Lawrence Taylor
9) Kobe Bryant
10) Mark McGwire

Three questions:
1) Will Lance crack the Top 10?
2) If yes, where will he end up on the list?
3) If yes, who will get bumped out of the Top 10?

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:

1) Roger Clemens
2) O.J. Simpson
3) Tiger Woods
4) Pete Rose
5) Mike Tyson
6) Barry Bonds
8) Lawrence Taylor
9) Kobe Bryant
10) Mark McGwire

Three questions:

Top ten, surely he'll go for first place, second is the first loser!

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I think he'll bump McGwire - who imo doesn't really belong on that list. If I recall correctly, he's always been honest about his andro use, which, imo, takes him off the "shame" list. On the contrary, Sammy wasn't honest about it.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
What is it with American puritanism?...extreemly rich Tiger turns out to be a horny ******..and wo and behold a string of women have slept with him..none of em " victims"..all knew he was married etc.
Ok, his Mrs ( now X) wasnt best pleased but come on peeps, its no more unusual than somat that happens in most every other mariege over the course of time let alone amongst the very rich.
Shouldnt even be in the list in my view.

Mind you this is the country that spent more money investigating Clintons "spill" on a dress than the 9/11 Report, so it shouldnt come as any suprise.:rolleyes:

Tim_sleepless said:
Seems a bit harsh to put Tiger above Tyson..

agree. what's tiger's crime? having sex with consenting adult partners outside of his marriage? he's really only guilty of horrible judgement. i don't excuse what he's done but it's on here because it's such a recent event. as time passes we'll gain perspective and he'll slide down, and maybe even off this list.

same applies to RC, how is OJ Simpson not #1?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Agree with the above.

Who made this list? Sports journalists? Was it voted on by readers? Some perspective is sorely needed.

That said, LA should never crack #1 (unless he raped and killed an orphaned minor in the cancer ward).

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Wasn't Tiger also implicated in an illegal actovegin blood spinning program.
FBI is still working on that I believe? Might have blown over.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Wasn't Tiger also implicated in an illegal actovegin blood spinning program.
FBI is still working on that I believe? Might have blown over.

I think you're right. IIRC he also admitted using actovegin to speed up recovery after an injury or surgery? Apparently this part was all legal, though.

ETA: anyway, I hope his ex wife got a bundle out of the divorce.

Whoever made this list was incredibly myopic. I agree Woods does not belong on the list, and OJ should be first. No Michael Vick? And how about that St. Louis Ram player, forgot his name, who killed someone while driving drunk I believe. There are any number of pro athletes who have done far worse than dopers like Bonds and McGwire, and really, far worse than Kobe Bryant. If any of you follow boxing, you will know that Edwin Valero belongs on this list, and also some heavyweight named Ike. I suppose what determines getting on the list is not only the seriousness of the transaction, but the star quality of the athlete.

I would have two lists, one for dopers/liars (Clemens, Bonds, maybe McGwire), other for more serious crimes (OJ, Tyson, maybe Taylor, but not until he’s had his day in court). I would put Rose on the latter list, but well down from others.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Hawkwood said:
Top ten, surely he'll go for first place, second is the first loser!
Surely they are going for the 'Team Classification'?

Although NBC do set a high standard. How many people have you to murder or rape to get #1?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
What is it with American puritanism?...extreemly rich Tiger turns out to be a horny ******..and wo and behold a string of women have slept with him..none of em " victims"..all knew he was married etc.
Ok, his Mrs ( now X) wasnt best pleased but come on peeps, its no more unusual than somat that happens in most every other mariege over the course of time let alone amongst the very rich.
Shouldnt even be in the list in my view.

Mind you this is the country that spent more money investigating Clintons "spill" on a dress than the 9/11 Report, so it shouldnt come as any suprise.:rolleyes:

in this puritan little wonderland, marital infidelity is somehow worse than rape. I can't explain my own countrymen....

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:

1) Roger Clemens
2) O.J. Simpson
3) Tiger Woods
4) Pete Rose
5) Mike Tyson
6) Barry Bonds
8) Lawrence Taylor
9) Kobe Bryant
10) Mark McGwire

Three questions:

He will be in the top ten, I would guess around 5th.

The list just goes to show the focus of the moment. Baseball season and Clemons in the news brings out a number 1 ranking. Really, he lied to congress and took PED's it is not like he killed two people. And while I don't like Tiger or Kobe, how can they be ranked ahead of Micheal Vick?? I have a tendency to rate a conviction for Dog Fighting a little higher than cheating on a spouse.

eleven said:
in this puritan little wonderland, marital infidelity is somehow worse than rape. I can't explain my own countrymen....

this has very little to do with puritanism. it has to do with how much media coverage the transgressors/transgressions receive. it also has to do with the phrasing of polling questions. ie "average american" is asked who are the most shameful athletes? the first person that springs to mind is RC because it's on the news NOW. no one, because of their puritanism or otherwise, thinks his PED use is worse than OJ's homicidal behavior. OJ just isn't regularly in the news and so isn't mentioned as frequently by polling responders. you dig?

a poll like this is just a snapshot, it's value is limited. there's great danger in applying deeper meaning to it.

Nick C. said:
Better yet why Kobe but not Ben Roethlisberger who has two separate "rape" incidents.

is that a rhetorical question because the answer(s) are pretty obvious?

blaming americans of racism is a much safer bet than blaming them of puritanism! ;)

EDIT: i'll add the first 3 reasons that spring to mind...
1. personality, BR had a much more likeable persona prior to the event
2. he's white
3. few people see either as rapists, just sexually aggressive, only KB was married at the time

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Joe Namath ? An old guy being drunk and saying something provocative or plain stupid to a hot woman? Better not go outside if this is criminal..for sure don't go to any Christmas parties

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
lean said:
is that a rhetorical question because the answer(s) are pretty obvious?

blaming americans of racism is a much safer bet than blaming them of puritanism! ;)

EDIT: i'll add the first 3 reasons that spring to mind...
1. personality, BR had a much more likeable persona prior to the event
2. he's white
3. few people see either as rapists, just sexually aggressive, only KB was married at the time

to be honest the whole racism angle did not occur to me. BR has something of an oaf image before whereas Kobe was just sort of cocky.

TRENDING THREADS