• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
After the recent dust up in the Moderators thread, and based on this post -

180mmCrank said:
I think this thread is meant to be about moderation and what a fine job we are all doing ;)

If you want to start a thread about avatars please do.

AND we will post some kind of guidelines about all this later - but it is quite likely to say some like - we have better things to do than police childish spats about avatars. If someone is deliberately trying to get a rise out of another poster by cloning their avatar or simply making antagonising posts please be advised that this is not acceptable behaviour on the forum.

Make sense?

Terry

I thought it would be appropriate to provide a thread to discuss childish spats about avatars.

Based on the previous childish spats, there appear to be several lines of thought -

1) I have had the same avatar for several years. People who copy my avatar are doing so only for purposes of trolling and baiting.

2) Tweaking posters who react to the slightest perceived insult is great fun - copying their avatar keeps them occupied whining about their avatar rather than posting SSDD.

3) Avatars are meaningless. Most readers here look at the poster name and ignore the avatar.

4) The forum should get rid of avatars.

5) Everybody should copy Susan's avatar so it appears that she is on the job 24/7 (sometimes I think she is).

6) Creating a thread about avatars is a waste of everyone's time and the thread should be locked as soon as possible.

Any other thoughts?

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Spare Tyre said:
You have too much time on your hands.

(As do I for clicking on the thread.)

Actually it is a rare day when I have "too much" time on my hands, but am in the US right now and the Labor Days thing has put a few things on hold.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
A guy whose posts mostly consists of blanket insults directed at a group of people who he does not agree with but is unable to engage with should not be surprised if moderators have an issue with the latest attempt to bait other users .

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
A guy whose posts mostly consists of blanket insults directed at a group of people who he does not agree with but is unable to engage with should not be surprised if moderators have an issue with the latest attempt to bait other users .

I agree. Next time I meet with Glenn and Patrick for drinks I will chastise them for engaging in this childish behavior.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
I agree. Next time I meet with Glenn and Patrick for drinks I will chastise them for engaging in this childish behavior.

I don't see you, Glenn, or Patrick as the problem. I don't think anyone has a problem with the occasional joke, deflection, or off topic whatever.....but if this makes up the majority of what a user writes, day after day, despite multiple warnings and bans it becomes a disruptive ingredient to the forum

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Gentlemen, let's try and stay on topic or the mods will get upset.

Avatars. The topic is Avatars. I reject Krebs303's premise that people who do not use avatars have no soul. Actually, it saves electrons.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
I don't see you, Glenn, or Patrick as the problem. I don't think anyone has a problem with the occasional joke, deflection, or off topic whatever.....but if this makes up the majority of what a user writes, day after day, despite multiple warnings and bans it becomes a disruptive ingredient to the forum

Oh, I thought you were talking about Glenn and Patrick since they started this whole avatar soap opera. I knew you weren't talking about me since I have an aversion to insulting others on the forum and in life, and I can thank the 6 month ban for talking about GL for that. CN forums is truly a vehicle for positive interpersonal skills.

I see now you are talking about your friend cobblestoned. Is he in the middle of this avatar flap? I don't think he is, so I suggest you stay on topic or you will get a warning from the mods.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Cal_Joe said:
Gentlemen, let's try and stay on topic or the mods will get upset.

Avatars. The topic is Avatars. I reject Krebs303's premise that people who do not use avatars have no soul. Actually, it saves electrons.

You are a blank canvas, a generic entity with the intellectual depth of a puddle in the driveway. I suggest you use the picture below as your avatar. It used to be my main avatar, and I gathered alot of positive feedback. I will loan it to you to help you search for soul that is not unlike an empty beer can.

uglychick.jpg

If you don't like that, here is another one that I suggested to socal scott.

asshat1.jpg

Also, I once used Chaka as an avatar, since I respect his ability to convey his thoughts by grunting. It make me smile that this little creature from a long ago TV show helps me understand Berzin's posts.

chaka1.jpg

I hope these help, and I am sure you appreciate me offering up these avatars from my cache. They are very personal to me, so please choose wisely and do not insult their legend.

I did find this on a BMW forum awhile back that you may want to consider. I am not sure what is going on here, but I suspect it has something to do with the ongoing relentless debate about a certain cyclist. Take care.

dsc0831l-1.jpg

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
You are a blank canvas, a generic entity with the intellectual depth of a puddle in the driveway. I suggest you use the picture below as your avatar. It used to be my main avatar, and I gathered alot of positive feedback. I will loan it to you to help you search for soul that is not unlike an empty beer can.

uglychick.jpg

If you don't like that, here is another one that I suggested to socal scott.

asshat1.jpg

Also, I once used Chaka as an avatar, since I respect his ability to convey his thoughts by grunting. It make me smile that this little creature from a long ago TV show helps me understand Berzin's posts.

chaka1.jpg

I hope these help, and I am sure you appreciate me offering up these avatars from my cache. They are very personal to me, so please choose wisely and do not insult their legend.

I did find this on a BMW forum awhile back that you may want to consider. I am not sure what is going on here, but I suspect it has something to do with the ongoing relentless debate about a certain cyclist. Take care.

dsc0831l-1.jpg

Thank you for the interesting comments and suggestions for avatars. I think that at this time I prefer to remain soulless and intellectually bankrupt.

"Empty beer can"...... damn, that reminds me it is time for lunch.

Perhaps it is a good time and place to advance the request that the forum software be amended in such a way that what ever avatar a user has when he makes a post would stay with that/those posts even if he subsequently changes his avatar. In this way avatars would more accurately reflect the mood of the poster at the time of posting.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Perhaps it is a good time and place to advance the request that the forum software be amended in such a way that what ever avatar a user has when he makes a post would stay with that/those posts even if he subsequently changes his avatar. In this way avatars would more accurately reflect the mood of the poster at the time of posting.

Normally I would not appreciate you hijacking an avatar out of my bag-o-avatars. But, since I hold you in high regard, I welcome you sporting the picture of my girlfriend. As you said on a previous thread, you are dating now and this will give you something to shoot for.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:

that's the best suggestion i've heard in months. those smiley faces are extremely limited in the moods they are able to convey.

Spare Tyre said:
You have too much time on your hands.

(As do I for clicking on the thread.)

That about sums it up for me too.

Anyway I am here now so I have deleted (sent to the "Great Playground in the Sky") a few comments that were more about other posters than the topic.

I imagine we will start sending folk on 'holiday' if we continue in this way.

Terry

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:

I am not familiar with the current version of the forum software CN uses but I do not think it is doable. Even if it were you would probably be doubling the amount of space each post takes up in storage if it included an avatar - not something database/server admins want to see.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Damiano Machiavelli said:
Half the time I do not read the name of the poster for a post, I just glance at the avatar. Now it is confusing.

Have to agree with this - have had to double check some posts lately because they seemed very out of character for the avatar, but not for the user name.

If the mods decide that copying avatars is not in the best interests of the forum, how does one go about "claiming" a unique avatar?

Can of worms.

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
I think an avatar reflects the user....I was actually going to start a thread where folks could explain or tell an anecdote about why they chose a particular avatar.

I am one of those users who like to mix it up depending on my mood. :)

Big bark, no bite. That should just about encompass everyone on an internet forum. :)