• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bahati deliberately crashed out?

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
I saw the CyclingNews article about this crash, which seemed to suggest there was plenty of doubt, and then I saw the following picture:

http://twitpic.com/1fcwc2

I had no idea from the article this crash was in the straight, and it's hard to see how to end up in that position unintentionally. Ouch.

bjbest said:
I saw the CyclingNews article about this crash, which seemed to suggest there was plenty of doubt, and then I saw the following picture:

http://twitpic.com/1fcwc2

I had no idea from the article this crash was in the straight, and it's hard to see how to end up in that position unintentionally. Ouch.

This link shows the events more in detail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZp5pS-Zzwk

Hopefully it works.

I could understand pulling out like that after a pull on the front of a leadout train but not from the tailend with riders around you. It appears he took out Bahati and one of his teammates.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Whoever pulled that move to take out Bahati deserves a 3 month ban. Plus pay for equipment damage, medical costs to any riders. That guy doesn't deserve to ride.

Same thing happened up here at Ft. Ord. Guy crosses the field diagnally during a sprint, chopping and running across peoples wheels actually hitting peoples wheels. Team Cutters from So. Cal.
I helped carry one of the casualtys out of the poison oak on a backboard.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the guy who takes out Bahati goes down or not? Because it looks to me like he rides out of it, then sprints back on when the camera switches to front view.

The reason I ask is because the only way I'm giving that guy the benefit of the doubt is if blew he out a front tire and/or broke spokes in the front wheel by getting them caught on another riders rear QR skewer (seen that happen a few times). Those are the only reasons I can see a swerve like that happening benignly, and both would necessitate that he goes down as well.

Otherwise it sure looks deliberate which is of course ludicrous.

USA Cycling and the UCI really needs to crack down hard on dangerous riding; we all know cycling is dangerous enough without guys riding like d-bags out there.

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Theo got banned for a month, Jake Keough should get at least that.

I also believe Bahati should pay a small fine for overreacting.

“When the pack came back around, I made a huge mistake by throwing my glasses at Jake Keough,” said Bahati. “If I could take that back, I would. However, I was so caught up in the moment, was so frustrated and with so many emotions, I overreacted.”

The glasses ripped Pinfold’s computer sensor off of his fork and when the errant sensor entered his front wheel, it took away his team’s chances at the win.

Bahati should get a short suspension for chucking his glasses. Keough should be dropped in hot grease. The Bos situation is not analogous because Bos did not do it intentionally. He took his hands off the bars and grabbed Impey when he started to fall, a stupid move but not deliberate. Keough deliberately crashed thirty riders. He should be banned for several years at the minimum.

This sort of crap is why I never liked crits. There is always a meathead who gets an adrenaline rush from taking crazy risks for weekend glory.

BroDeal said:
Bahati should get a short suspension for chucking his glasses. Keough should be dropped in hot grease. The Bos situation is not analogous because Bos did not do it intentionally. He took his hands off the bars and grabbed Impey when he started to fall, a stupid move but not deliberate. Keough deliberately crashed thirty riders. He should be banned for several years at the minimum.

This sort of crap is why I never liked crits. There is always a meathead who gets an adrenaline rush from taking crazy risks for weekend glory.

Agree on all counts.

All that being said, first crit of the year for me this weekend. :eek:

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

I don't know who Keough is but if that's his typical level of aggression he gets at least a year. That or he can face each guy that went down, one at a time.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Why are US crits so dangerous? Is the speed not always high enough to line the bunch out?

Here in NL the speed is so high from the off it's single file 95% of the race, so the only real chance of a crash is overcooking a corner, the sprint finish, or drunken supporters crossing the street (I've seen it happen)

The classics on the other hand are absolute lunacy. 180 guys all trying to ride at the front all the time on a road as wide as a car in a force 5 sidewind etc. constant braking and panic....

I used to like crits as a break from the nervousness of RR's.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I've never heard of Keough being anything but a decent hard working rider...what was he thinking?? Also, I would really like to know the whole background..throwing glasses etc. He should miss a year minimum. There is no place for that type of stuff.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
Why are US crits so dangerous? Is the speed not always high enough to line the bunch out?

Here in NL the speed is so high from the off it's single file 95% of the race, so the only real chance of a crash is overcooking a corner, the sprint finish, or drunken supporters crossing the street (I've seen it happen)

The classics on the other hand are absolute lunacy. 180 guys all trying to ride at the front all the time on a road as wide as a car in a force 5 sidewind etc. constant braking and panic....

You hit the nail on the head!! I remember when I went to race in the Netherlands...the shock at the difference in Crit riding was huge! Single file from the gun!! I however liked the RR better than crits as I can't sprint to save my life!! LOL!!

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
I spoke with Rahsaan last night at a local training ride and he just happy the video came out showing exactly what Keough did. To answer an earlier question, no Keough did not go down. Matt Rice is in a bad way Rahsaan said, as well as another rider from his team, quite a few went down in the pileup. There didn't seem to be anger in his response, just justification from the evidence in the video.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:

Yes, the speeds in NL and Belgium are higher. The races are also longer. Dana point is one of the biggest Crits on the West coast and it is only 90 minutes for the Pro race.

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Jake Keough finished 7th in the race, and the crash happened within 5 laps of the finish, so he wouldn't have been allowed to rejoin if he had a mechanical.

So yeah, he crashed 30 odd riders out of the race, destroying who knows how much equipment and how many bodies, and then went on with the race, and probably even placed in the money.

United Health Care, creating clients one bike race at a time.

BikeCentric said:
Can anyone confirm whether or not the guy who takes out Bahati goes down or not? Because it looks to me like he rides out of it, then sprints back on when the camera switches to front view.

The reason I ask is because the only way I'm giving that guy the benefit of the doubt is if blew he out a front tire and/or broke spokes in the front wheel by getting them caught on another riders rear QR skewer (seen that happen a few times). Those are the only reasons I can see a swerve like that happening benignly, and both would necessitate that he goes down as well.

Otherwise it sure looks deliberate which is of course ludicrous.

USA Cycling and the UCI really needs to crack down hard on dangerous riding; we all know cycling is dangerous enough without guys riding like d-bags out there.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I doubt much will come from USA Cycling...

As for Crits in the US vs. BE/NL.... Totally different games being played. In the states the speeds are much higher but the races are shorter. Euro's don't take anywhere near the risks through the corners. Plus, you will be hard pressed to find a sold criterium finish stateside.

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
dumbasses

If Bahati wasn't so keen to try and steal a wheel and slot himself onto the remains of the HealthNet train... have a look at the clip

The race winner's take on it in the post race interview was it was an ongoing 'fight'.... that's for position...
(explanation follows for shocked softkok forum members who probably never raced at above 80% of there max for more than the last 400m) it got nasty and the little guy lost it and pushed back too hard.

Imagine that big Bahati leaning on you when your screaming at 90% the whole time trying to do your job for your team... remember its at 2 to go.

I'd probably given up my wheel and let the big bloke? in... but then I'm not getting paid to race my bike

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
amerikaantje said:
I doubt much will come from USA Cycling...

As for Crits in the US vs. BE/NL.... Totally different games being played. In the states the speeds are much higher but the races are shorter. Euro's don't take anywhere near the risks through the corners. Plus, you will be hard pressed to find a sold criterium finish stateside.

looks bloody fast

do they do much testing?.... that can cause some excitable behaviours

TRENDING THREADS