• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Basso suggests Sky doping? Likens them to Armstrong/USPS

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I really hope that in years to come your optimism is rewarded but sadly I am not sure that it will be.

I am definitely no expert on who is doping or not but I can remember back in 1996 watching Bjarne Reiss leaving everyone on the Hautacam in his wake and thinking that just does not look right and sadly as you will know some years later he confessed to doping.
As one of our forum colleagues as already said you will only know if a rider is doping if you too at sometime get that gut reaction.

I hope you never do.

Holtend said:
Being a relative newcomer to cycling, and probably a lot less cynical than most posting in the clinic threads, I can't read anything into Basso's comments quoted in the OP.

However his latest comment that Wigs + Nibs would need to be at 110% in the Giro to beat him does seem to hint at something??

Like I said I am new to cycling and becoming more emotionally attached to riders and teams race by race, month by month.
Feeling the highs(no pun intended) of winning and sharing the disappointment of the lows.
I sincerely hope that 10 years from now I will still be captivated by my favourites and hold them in high regard.

I imagine most of you were like me at 1 point in time, but a conveyor belt of scandal, lies and cheating have opened your eyes and you've been let down time and time again.

I just hope todays riders learn from cyclings past and don't tarnish the sport for the legions of young/new fans putting their faith in them.

For the record I am from U.K. so have had a wonderful couple of years.
My greatest fear would be what many of you are so sure of - doping at SKY.
The consequences of that would be devastating for UK cycling and all the achievements on the track and road would instantly be suspect.
BUT for the moment I am niaive and in love with cycling and
have to believe the future is bright :)

Sorry for the off topic waffle...blame the beer as it is New Years Eve!

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
del1962 said:
It is quite obvious that a steady pace suites Wiggin's (he is not a puncher) and the best way to bring people back is to maintain a steady pace, not try yo go with every attack or you go into the red.

This has been stated before. Team pursuit and madison world championship medals make me wonder though...

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Alphabet said:
??

10chars

Cadel+Evans+Tour+de+France+2009+Stage+Fifteen+lAq4QhmTgNwl.jpg

He was in Silence Lotto in 09

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Joachim said:
Reminds me of when Evans failed to win the 09 TdF because he had zero support from his team, and it wasn't because they couldn't.. it was because they wouldn't. Same reason why TJ didn't want to wait for him after the carpet tack incident. .

2009, but I can see why you thought 2012.

Have you heard about what happened this year?

Wiggins took a private jet from a local airfield to Liege, for the start of the TdF, to avoid all the hassle of main airport. When he landed he was dismayed to see photographers, as he thought he'd bypassed them.

When he got off the plane, he was met by his soigneur who had come to pick him up. He told him Cadel had already landed which was who the photographers were there for.

As they drove off they passed Cadel standing in the road, on his own, holding his bike, in a tantrum.

Nobody had come to pick him up.

Marginal gains ;)

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Joachim said:
2009, but I can see why you thought 2012.

Have you heard about what happened this year?

Wiggins took a private jet from a local airfield to Liege, for the start of the TdF, to avoid all the hassle of main airport. When he landed he was dismayed to see photographers, as he thought he'd bypassed them.

When he got off the plane, he was met by his soigneur who had come to pick him up. He told him Cadel had already landed which was who the photographers were there for.

As they drove off they passed Cadel standing in the road, on his own, holding his bike, in a tantrum.

Nobody had come to pick him up.

Marginal gains ;)

Apologies, I was responding to another poster who had agreed with you without reading your post.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Landis only admitted to everything once his entire life and career had fallen apart to the point where we were afraid he'd wind up another tragic figure found alone in a motel room.

Landis denied, denied and denied whilst attempting to come back, but was clearly blacklisted and unwanted, and it was only after he finally gave up on the final avenues of a return that he confessed. If Landis had been able to deny based on not having tested positive, like Ivan could, and had been able to return to a top level team, then maybe he would never have come clean.

It's hard to judge one against the other because the circumstances of their comeback affect their responses so extremely. Landis tested positive in July 2006, and didn't come clean until May 2011. That's nearly three years of attempted comebacks being thwarted at every turn, and guys who he knew stuff about treading on his toes. Who knows, if Floyd hadn't had information on Armstrong maybe his coming-out party would have been treated with the same rolled eyes that di Luca's admissions, coming after 18 months of claiming to be the victim of a conspiracy, were. But because Armstrong didn't think that the toes he trod on might be connected to a foot that would later kick him in the ***, Floyd was able to get everything off his chest eventually and have a receptive audience. Floyd doesn't have to worry about what the current péloton will do to him like Basso might (hear Millar's stories about the pace going up in the bunch when they find out it's him in the break, or Sella saying he had to go in the break early in his comeback cos all he'd get from a day in the bunch was a jersey covered in spit), because he has given up on any aspirations to be part of it.
You're arguing my point for me. I picked Landis and Hamilton precisely because of the fact that only once they came clean they started admitting to everything. Up to that point... nothing.

Basso never came out and admitted to himself doping yet alone other people doping. So why would he have started putting 'coded messages' into some of his interviews about other people? If he is indeed riding clean then I can kind of understand it i.e. He does not want to upset some of the other riders as you mention. So then why say anything at all yet alone hidden messages? If it was that obvious do you not think other riders would pick up on these? Why bother at all? Also as a sidenote, if you believe that then you must believe that it is still possible to win a GT clean, no?

On the flip side if he was still doping there is next to zero chance he would say anything directly about other riders.

Interesting that some of the same people that believe Basso is making a reference to doping also then slam David Millar as being untrustworthy with his view on Sky when he actually came out and admitted his doping albeit in different circumstances.

Both sides of the Sky is doping are naturally going to view his comments skewed to their way of thinking and until Basso comes out and says otherwise it is merely speculation.

I think it was you that mentioned both Cunego and Euskatel (?) had made references to their 'previous setup or previous results'. Implying that they had been doping so it is always possible. However, even in those cases they were not about other people.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Joachim said:
How do you come up with this stuff?? :D

Basso, the convicted doper, who never admitted his offence, did everything he could to avoid it, kept the omertà so that he could slip straight back into the peloton after his ban as if nothing had happened...and you like him??

And now, you are holding him up as a paragon of truth. :D:D:D

Good news skybots! Basso has now moved on from the dark era and entered the new clean sky era.

"I'm often asked a lot about the past but to tell the truth, what happened in the past isn't talked about in this team. The guys talk about their holidays, their cars and their family, as well as cycling and racing. We don’t talk about doping."

"It's like being in a well-educated family that is against swearing and bad behaviour. I'm lucky that this team doesn’t allow me to talk about the past and isn’t interested in me talking about it. We're interested in the future and doing well in 2014."

"What happened is part of my past but it happened a long time ago. It really is in the past. We've never mentioned Armstrong at the dinner table for example. My teammates aren't interested in the Armstrong era. They're don’t ask me to talk about the past but about now and about the future. I think that's great, it's the right thing to do. That's why I feel young again."

There's a special feeling in this team this year, there's a buzz in the air which is motivating me."

the sceptic said:
Good news skybots! Basso has now moved on from the dark era and entered the new clean sky era.

"I'm often asked a lot about the past but to tell the truth, what happened in the past isn't talked about in this team. The guys talk about their holidays, their cars and their family, as well as cycling and racing. We don’t talk about doping."

"It's like being in a well-educated family that is against swearing and bad behaviour. I'm lucky that this team doesn’t allow me to talk about the past and isn’t interested in me talking about it. We're interested in the future and doing well in 2014."

"What happened is part of my past but it happened a long time ago. It really is in the past. We've never mentioned Armstrong at the dinner table for example. My teammates aren't interested in the Armstrong era. They're don’t ask me to talk about the past but about now and about the future. I think that's great, it's the right thing to do. That's why I feel young again."
So when did Basso say doping happened?

Luckily we have progressed.

Armstrong Era - Doped.
Basso Era - Only planned to dope.
Frigo Era - Did not plan to dope but came prepared just in case.
Voigt Era - Thought about doping but told brain to shut up.
Froome Era - Too busy fighting off lions to think about doping.