• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Basso suggests Sky doping? Likens them to Armstrong/USPS

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
86TDFWinner said:
I agree with you Joachim about why Evans didn't win, it was clearly obvious his team didn't support him, for whatever reason(s).

What? He was sick, that's the end of it. Even if BMC produced Sky-like performances, he would have struggled to crack the podium.

Evans hardly got support in the mountains from his team last year as well, and he won it convincingly.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Dunno if he'll take it quite that far, but he knows he has to step it up a notch to compete for the win. I'm sure he will be better prepared.

I doubt he will be as bad as this year. People forget he had a very poor practice before the giro started. He will be on 2009 Vuelta level I guess. 2010 was an outstanding performance and think he benefit also from his very strong team back in that time.

If he suddendly could tt again and is flying up the mountains I would lost my last bit of respect I still got for him

simo1733 said:
Does Basso's optimism about his chances in the 2013 Giro mean he is going thermo-nuclear in his preparation ?

The answer is yes. Basso's contract is ending in '13 and he needs results and points to bag a pension level deal. Sky's marginal gains program is forcing the Italian to go back to the old ways of putting a spike into the vein and empty a couple of bags in the bloodstream. Basso have crossed this line before and he will do it again. Basso will be competitive in the Giro. Podium material for sure.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
The answer is yes. Basso's contract is ending in '13 and he needs results and points to bag a pension level deal. Sky's marginal gains program is forcing the Italian to go back to the old ways of putting a spike into the vein and empty a couple of bags in the bloodstream. Basso have crossed this line before and he will do it again. Basso will be competitive in the Giro. Podium material for sure.
I do not know how you can say that with such a definitive tone.
The answer should be you think yes. Not necessarily and we do not have the information to decide.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Why would he? The good ladd is 35, turning 36 next year. What is there to prove for him? Won evrything that was possible for him to win, once in robotstyle, the other one much more believable.

No, Ivan is ready to retire.

thehog said:
Yeah! Burn him at the stake! Shut him up! Has nothing to contribute. What does Basso know about doping?

He knows nearly everything. But he is probably the last one who should point out to others. It's just too laughable how he was only able to tt in 2005 and 2006 ...

For me personal Basso is in a much much darker light than Ricco or Sella.

spalco said:
Because he's a hypocrit if he couldn't even confess his own doping.

Basso has admitted his past wrongs several times, it is in articles on the web/print.

He wants to move on and just not talk about it anymore. He went about it quietly to keep racing and save his career. Like many did.

zigmeister said:
Basso has admitted his past wrongs several times, it is in articles on the web/print.

He wants to move on and just not talk about it anymore. He went about it quietly to keep racing and save his career. Like many did.

Oh beautiful, how nice from Ivan. Ricco never really got this chance. And I won't begin about Pantani who was punished on and on after 99 ....

No sorry I don't have much respect for Basso I'm sorry. His decrease of performance without being high-juiced was/is so obviously (Where are his tt abilities now?) and he stayed long time with the "I just planned to dope" story (Hell, even what Ullrich said was between the lines nothing but the truth)

thehog said:
Seeing that Basso's word is not worthy due to his half confession TeeJay had a few words on Sky;

"VN: From your perspective, just how strong was Sky during the Tour?

TvG: I have never seen anyone be able to control a race like that. The pace they were setting on the front was unbelievable. And they never panicked. You could throw everything at them. Even if it was a dangerous guy, like Nibali, they would be like, ‘let them go, we stay in our rhythm, and we’ll bring them back.’ And they always did. Some people said it was a boring Tour. You’ve got to hand it to them, the fact that they were able to make it boring like that, that they were so strong. It was not that Nibali didn’t want to attack. It’s not that Cadel didn’t want to attack. They just couldn’t. You cannot go over the top of 450 watts they set on the climb. It was not possible.

VN: What role do power meters play at that moment of the race? Is everyone just racing off their power meters once they’re on the big climbs, knowing that they can push a power threshold for a certain distance, and measure their tactics off that?

TvG: No, people do not race off their power meters. People know their bodies. If I am at my limit, I am breathing hard, my heart rate is through the roof, I am struggling to stay on the wheel, why would you attack? That would be the stupidest thing. You just try to stay where you are. That’s how it was. They had everyone on the ropes to the point where there was nowhere to go. You either stayed on the wheel, or you even drop off the wheel and try to limit your losses. That’s what everyone was doing. It came to a point when even Nibali, who was third, had to drop off of Sky’s pace and Wiggins and Froome just rode away."

This was the same Teejay who rode of the front of the Sky train and waited for his leader then promptly dropped his leader.

It is quite obvious that a steady pace suites Wiggin's (he is not a puncher) and the best way to bring people back is to maintain a steady pace, not try yo go with every attack or you go into the red.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Being a relative newcomer to cycling, and probably a lot less cynical than most posting in the clinic threads, I can't read anything into Basso's comments quoted in the OP.

However his latest comment that Wigs + Nibs would need to be at 110% in the Giro to beat him does seem to hint at something??

Like I said I am new to cycling and becoming more emotionally attached to riders and teams race by race, month by month.
Feeling the highs(no pun intended) of winning and sharing the disappointment of the lows.
I sincerely hope that 10 years from now I will still be captivated by my favourites and hold them in high regard.

I imagine most of you were like me at 1 point in time, but a conveyor belt of scandal, lies and cheating have opened your eyes and you've been let down time and time again.

I just hope todays riders learn from cyclings past and don't tarnish the sport for the legions of young/new fans putting their faith in them.

For the record I am from U.K. so have had a wonderful couple of years.
My greatest fear would be what many of you are so sure of - doping at SKY.
The consequences of that would be devastating for UK cycling and all the achievements on the track and road would instantly be suspect.
BUT for the moment I am niaive and in love with cycling and
have to believe the future is bright :)

Sorry for the off topic waffle...blame the beer as it is New Years Eve!

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
staubsauger said:
Oh beautiful, how nice from Ivan. Ricco never really got this chance. And I won't begin about Pantani who was punished on and on after 99 ....

No sorry I don't have much respect for Basso I'm sorry. His decrease of performance without being high-juiced was/is so obviously (Where are his tt abilities now?) and he stayed long time with the "I just planned to dope" story (Hell, even what Ullrich said was between the lines nothing but the truth)
Are u suggesting all premium dopers who rock cycling should have the same treatment as Pantani and Ricco? That would cause mass suicide given the simple fact 7 out of 10 pro - cyclist are not very stable/smart/eloquent etc etc, fill in the blanks, folks?

You do not have to have much respect for Ivan, hell, I don't like him either, boring rider first class, mountain - Indurain - lookalike in my book, but he is to be taken seriously. He knows what he is capable of, cleanish and robotstyle. He also knows what others are capable of.

The peloton talks...
Dazed and Confused said:
Can't see it myself, but the road action will give us the answer.
Indeed, let us keep our eyes open.
Holtend said:
I sincerely hope that 10 years from now I will still be captivated by my favourites and hold them in high regard.
Let's hope for you it is. And have a good New Year to u too.

Holtend said:
Being a relative newcomer to cycling, and probably a lot less cynical than most posting in the clinic threads, I can't read anything into Basso's comments quoted in the OP.

However his latest comment that Wigs + Nibs would need to be at 110% in the Giro to beat him does seem to hint at something??

Like I said I am new to cycling and becoming more emotionally attached to riders and teams race by race, month by month.
Feeling the highs(no pun intended) of winning and sharing the disappointment of the lows.

I imagine most of you were like me at 1 point in time, but a conveyor belt of scandal, lies and cheating have opened your eyes and you've been let down time and time again.

I just hope todays riders learn from cyclings past and don't tarnish the sport for the legions of young/new fans putting their faith in them.

The consequences of that would be devastating for UK cycling and all the achievements on the track and road would instantly be suspect.

Welcome. Excellent post. It's nice to read text which is not tainted by cynicism.

I too hope that Sky are not doping. But I fear the worst.

Lets hope 2013 is more exciting than 2012.

Enjoy your night! :)

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Holtend said:

He was hyping himself similarly last year I believe.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Welcome. Excellent post. It's nice to read text which is not tainted by cynicism.

I too hope that Sky are not doping. But I fear the worst.

Lets hope 2013 is more exciting than 2012.

Enjoy your night! :)

Will be exciting to see your hero, Sir Wiggo, tackle some of the walls in Tirreno Adriatico, ha, ha! At least these guys have got moxy (if he's gonna do the Giro, he'd better get some experience on these walls, and looks like Sky knows that).

Was truly exciting to see Sagan drop the Sicilian Nibali on one of these walls last year. The mafioso wasn't pleased. Need a little more fraticide and Forrest Gump to liven things up. :D

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Holtend said:

There's no way of knowing 100% either way at the moment, so you simply have to form your own opinion based on gut instinct combined with the few facts we have. Yours mirrors my own.

And beers? Yes its NYE but it's not yet 5pm. Hope you got stamina