• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

best descender

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

best descender

• popovych

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
El Pistolero said:
He is overrated if you think he stands a chance on a long hard descent against Cancellara and Hushovd. These 2 are better descenders than any other cyclist in the peloton. FACT.

And when this epic clash is gonna happen? Most probably never, unless they train togheter! :D
And btw Nibali is way lighter than both Thor and Fabi, that matters alot.
Mhh... just tought better, probably Sagan is on par with those guys too, could have closed the gap easily yesterday.

El Pistolero said:
He is overrated if you think he stands a chance on a long hard descent against Cancellara and Hushovd. These 2 are better descenders than any other cyclist in the peloton. FACT.
A FACT because you say it? :rolleyes:
They're probably "smoother looking descenders" though, not better.

"He [Nibali] also mentioned that the descent from the Poggio was done at a crazy speed, that he suffered and finally tried to get on Fabian's wheel but that Gerrans made it impossible."

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=817607&postcount=79

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
karlboss said:
There is no way Cancellara could drop Nibali on a decent nor the other way around if they are starting on each others wheels. Cancellara, for example, could well go in and out of the corner faster, but then until they reach the next corner he breaks the air for Nibali in which time Nibali catches up again. You can be quite a long way back and get a huge slipsteam on a decent.

wow you don't understand anythign about downhilling. the only parts in downhil is weight of the body and taking corners. cancellara is 20 kg heavier and takes better corners so yes he would drop him and nibali could not return until it would flatten out again

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Climbing said:
Nibali going downhill is like Contador going uphill.
Must be the best of the GT riders for sure, he's not overrated.

he's completely overrated. nibali has no technique. he's just a daredevil who has made a number of errors already in downhils. cancellara never makes them, hushovd never makes them. just remember last year sterrato stage with nibali.

Ryo Hazuki said:
he's completely overrated. nibali has no technique. he's just a daredevil who has made a number of errors already in downhils. cancellara never makes them, hushovd never makes them. just remember last year sterrato stage with nibali.
Ryo, how many times are you going to say this? Are you in troll mode today? :rolleyes:

I'm gonna quote a friend, I hope you get it:

"The scientific explanation for Nibali's descending prowess is, since he has such large cojones, they lower his center of gravity, enabling him to corner with confidence on high speed descents."

cineteq said:
Ryo, how many times are you going to say this? Are you in troll mode today? :rolleyes:

I'm gonna quote a friend, I hope you get it:

"The scientific explanation for Nibali's descending prowess is, since he has such large cojones, they lower his center of gravity, enabling him to corner with confidence on high speed descents."

who said this? because its freaking hilarious!!!

Ryo Hazuki said:
what are cojones?

i hope that's sarcasm :p

Climbing said:
And when this epic clash is gonna happen? Most probably never, unless they train togheter! :D
And btw Nibali is way lighter than both Thor and Fabi, that matters alot.
Mhh... just tought better, probably Sagan is on par with those guys too, could have closed the gap easily yesterday.

Exactly.

Its like arguing that andre the giant was a better boxer than Oscar de la hoya. sure in a 1 on 1 fight andre would win. but that doesn't make him the better boxer. you have to take things like weight into account.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
that's totally apples and oranges as you could very well compare techniques of fighters heavyweight swith lightweights. just as you can compare downhil technique in which cancellara despite being so much bigger still owns nibali all the way

and someone like andre could never win from a pro boxer obviously. not even a lightweight

Ryo Hazuki said:
that's totally apples and oranges as you could very well compare techniques of fighters heavyweight swith lightweights. just as you can compare downhil technique in which cancellara despite being so much bigger still owns nibali all the way

and someone like andre could never win from a pro boxer obviously. not even a lightweight

Actually their respective successors - Floyd mayweather and The Big show had a fight and it was close.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Red Rick said:
I thinkNibali and Cancellara are technically equal, but with a load of bends Nibali has an advantage of being lighter and and Canc has an advantage when the road is straighter

lol

and how is being lighter an advantage downhil? :rolleyes:

cineteq said:
ryo, how many times are you going to say this? Are you in troll mode today? :rolleyes:

I'm gonna quote a friend, i hope you get it:

"the scientific explanation for nibali's descending prowess is, since he has such large cojones, they lower his center of gravity, enabling him to corner with confidence on high speed descents."

lmao:d:d:d:d

Hushovd, followed by Cancellara.

Clearly not Nibali looking after San Remo. Nibali descends well because he doesn't fear anything. But technically he is not as good as descender than Cancellara, Hushovd or 10% of the top sprinters. But from the GC contenders there are very few who can really descend well so Nibali stands out there.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
lol

and how is being lighter an advantage downhil? :rolleyes:

Being lighter helps in acceleration out of the corners because of F=ma. Cancellara, though, can produce more watts and thus when there is no acceleration has an advantage on Nibali.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hushovd, followed by Cancellara.

Clearly not Nibali looking after San Remo. Nibali descends well because he doesn't fear anything. But technically he is not as good as descender than Cancellara, Hushovd or 10% of the top sprinters. But from the GC contenders there are very few who can really descend well so Nibali stands out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuGzA_o0HBc&feature=related

i would say he is pretty good technically, and it's not all down to lack of fear.

TRENDING THREADS