• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brandon McNulty is the Next Great American Hope Thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
For now. And quite possibly that might not change in the future, but he's made quite some progress the past year, so maybe there is still room for improvement. Had Itzulia finished a day sooner, the forum would have hailed him as the next in line of future GT contenders like Vlasov. He's still only 22 and his progress did amaze me, so it only seems fair to give him some more time and see what else he can bring the next few years. He seems to be on a slower trajectory than Bernal, Evenepoel, Pogacar and others.

So maybe taking him off Giro leadership, isn't a bad thing.

For now. And quite possibly that might not change in the future, but he's made quite some progress the past year, so maybe there is still room for improvement. Had Itzulia finished a day sooner, the forum would have hailed him as the next in line of future GT contenders like Vlasov. He's still only 22 and his progress did amaze me, so it only seems fair to give him some more time and see what else he can bring the next few years. He seems to be on a slower trajectory than Bernal, Evenepoel, Pogacar and others.

So maybe taking him off Giro leadership, isn't a bad thing.
Yeah, this year we also have a Giro that is lacking when it comes to TTs, so I get why they are sending him to the Tour to support Pogi.
I guess he'll get a chance to ride for the gc in the Dauphine or the Tour de Suisse (both of them feature really hard routes, so no idea how he'll do).

Tour de France, forsure!

He never are going to win a GT. But I can see him be very good in 1 week races with lots of TT km. In GT he is a domestique.
Never seems a bit too dismissive. He's a very good TTer who seems to be able to handle medium mountains. The real question is whether he can take the next step in the high mountains. At 22 it's still too early to say. His progression is probably more typical of most GT winners than Bernal or Pogacar.

Never seems a bit too dismissive. He's a very good TTer who seems to be able to handle medium mountains. The real question is whether he can take the next step in the high mountains. At 22 it's still too early to say. His progression is probably more typical of most GT winners than Bernal or Pogacar.
I've said it previously, he reminds me of a 2017 version of Roglič. Excellent TTer (Roglič was a bit better IMO) and a good climber but not good enough to follow the top5/10 climbers in the world. At the time I believed Roglič can make the next step and I believe McNulty can improve too. But I'm giving him less chances than I gave to the Slovenian.

The only negative was following and working for Pogacar on that ill advised attack. Even Pogacar said it was a mistake. Without using that energy he might have been able to stay with Carapaz and take a medal.
I am not sure he could have stayed with Carapaz regardless, he was clearly empty.

Pogacar also did not work behind him until the gap was very small.

But still good race for Mcnulty! He just seems to blow up at certain times, in the Basque country, if he can become more stable, I expect great things from him in the future.

I am not sure he could have stayed with Carapaz regardless, he was clearly empty.

Pogacar also did not work behind him until the gap was very small.

But still good race for Mcnulty! He just seems to blow up at certain times, in the Basque country, if he can become more stable, I expect great things from him in the future.

He's still 23 so learning as he goes. He's got some one-day potential and one-week potential.

Reactions: jmdirt
The only negative was following and working for Pogacar on that ill advised attack. Even Pogacar said it was a mistake. Without using that energy he might have been able to stay with Carapaz and take a medal.
If he didn’t go with Pogacar, no guarantee he would have been able to stay with VanAert when he cranked up the chase. Some big engines got left behind there, sometimes it’s better to be the rabbit than one of the hounds.

TRENDING THREADS