• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

British politics

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a good start to Mrs May's week -
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-of-mps-tells-may-we-will-stop-no-deal-brexit
Theresa May faces a concerted campaign of parliamentary warfare from a powerful cross-party alliance of MPs determined to use every lever at their disposal to prevent Britain leaving the EU without a deal in March.

Former staunch loyalist Sir Oliver Letwin signalled that he and other senior Conservatives would defy party whips, repeatedly if necessary, to avoid a no-deal Brexit, as the government suffered a humiliating defeat during a debate on the finance bill in the Commons.

Letwin and 16 other former government ministers were among 20 Conservatives who banded together with home affairs select committee chair, Yvette Cooper, and the Labour leadership to pass an anti no-deal amendment.

They defeated the government by 303 votes to 296 – a majority of seven.

More on "yob behaviour" -
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ce-to-act-over-nazi-slurs-against-anna-soubry
At least 115 MPs have also written to police seeking extra protection. Bercow wrote: “There seems to be a pattern here of a regular coterie of burly white men who are effectively targeting and denouncing members whom they recognise and dislike – most notably female and those from ethnic minority backgrounds.”

Asked in the Commons about the group on Tuesday, Bercow said it seemed to particularly target women and people from black and minority ethnic backgrounds. “Let’s be quite clear about that: it’s a type of fascism,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/08/murder-wife-jo-cox-cow-mps-threat-extremists
Anna Soubry, a Tory MP harangued by far-right protesters on Monday, was threatened by a man who said she should be “Jo Cox’d”.
A new verb! To Jo Cox someone ... Usch. :sad:

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Re:

macbindle said:
Why is that fascism rather than racism?
could be b/c a fascist=certified demon and a racist= to be certified :Question:
reading the KB article, it's pretty clear the goddard's views are despicable. i could care care less about the labels. but i generally, if i understood the concern, try to avoid any political demonization until the colours truly need more black.

Mrs May loses another vote and ponders a Plan B - 'bout bloody time!
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-parliament-takes-control?srnd=premium-europe
Theresa May is openly contemplating a Brexit "Plan B" amid growing signs that the British Parliament will reject the deal she’s reached with the European Union and try to take charge of what happens next.

On Wednesday, the prime minister suffered her second defeat in two days in the House of Commons, losing control of the timetable for setting out the next steps if -- as expected -- Parliament votes down her Brexit deal on Jan. 15.

2nd referendum? No. General Election? Yes.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ay-s-brexit-deal-founders?srnd=premium-europe
Opposition Labour Party Leader Jeremy Corbyn will call on Prime Minister Theresa May to let voters decide on her Brexit deal if Parliament rejects it next week -- in a general election.

A fresh election is the only way to break the deadlock, with under three months to go until Britain is due to leave the European Union, Corbyn will say in a speech in Wakefield, northern England, on Thursday. He’ll repeat his pledge that the party will vote down May’s deal, which looks almost certain to be rejected by Parliament because of the scale of opposition to it among her own Conservatives and her allies in Northern Ireland’s Democratic Unionist Party.

Re:

King Boonen said:
Reading Twitter today something has stuck me that was maybe obvious to others but I hadn't realised. I think very few people in the UK understand the difference between the Government and the Parliament.

A sad reflection of Twitter's users level of education - mind you, considering it's, supposedly, mostly bots on Twitter, it's not a bad attempt at AI by the Ruskies. :)

Twitter confuses me at times. I tend to keep my statements pretty neutral as I use it for work but a lot of people I know are desperate to get their point of view heard, instantly block people who disagree with them, then wonder why the level of discourse never changes...

Also the assumption that you agree with someone because you follow them is truly bizarre.

Re: Re:

Catwhoorg said:
King Boonen said:
Reading Twitter today something has stuck me that was maybe obvious to others but I hadn't realised. I think very few people in the UK understand the difference between the Government and the Parliament.

Very true.

No...it means very few people who post comments about Government and Parliament on Twitter understand the distinction.

But what you surmise is likely to be correct also. Average intelligence isnt really enough to understand constitutional politics....and half of the population are thicker than average. Vox pops conducted by news channels always seem to reflect this. I don't think I've ever heard an informed and considered view of Brexit from the 'man on the street'.

I don't think I've ever heard an informed and considered view of Brexit from the 'man on the street'.

Then again, which media outlet would give the "man on the street" the time to give an informed and considered view?

If there's to be a General Election, it's about time though to get those pollsters back out on the streets.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
I don't think I've ever heard an informed and considered view of Brexit from the 'man on the street'.

Then again, which media outlet would give the "man on the street" the time to give an informed and considered view?

If there's to be a General Election, it's about time though to get those pollsters back out on the streets.

Indeed. When you look at political coverage on the BBC, it seems to be about avoiding bias by giving equal time to opposing groups to voice their prejudice....at the expense of ignoring useful and rational opinion. This is why we see extremists like Nigel Farage appearing time after time on QT.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...t-of-no-brexit-if-may-deal-rejected-says-hunt
Foreign secretary says vote against withdrawal agreement could lead to UK staying in EU

So the scare-mongering starts. Vote for May's deal or suffer a terrible fate!

meanwhile Mrs May seeks votes -
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...n-leaders-for-brexit-deal-support-from-labour
Theresa May has sparked hopes among senior Labour figures that she is laying the groundwork to compromise on her Brexit deal after next week’s meaningful vote, following a flurry of contacts with union leaders and MPs in recent days.

Really find annoying the backlash to some unpleasant protesters shouting "Soubray is a Nazi"

Whether you agree with Soubray or not, surely we must not criminalise these sort of taunts outside the house of commons just because we don't like the protesters views, there seems to be too many politicians pressing the police to arrest these people, as long as it doesn't turn to violence they are best just ignored.

Never agree Thatchers politics but I could never imagine her moaning about these sort of taunts by protestors.

Re: Re:

macbindle said:
Robert5091 said:

Indeed. When you look at political coverage on the BBC, it seems to be about avoiding bias by giving equal time to opposing groups to voice their prejudice....at the expense of ignoring useful and rational opinion. This is why we see extremists like Nigel Farage appearing time after time on QT.

I thought your avatar being the queen was some sort of parody, but reading the extremely out of touch nature of this post I question if you aren't indeed some blood relation with a life peerage in the House of Lords.

If you think Nigel Farage is an "extremist", might be time to leave those closed walls and get to know the real world a little.

What I'm finding fascinating with the parliamentary discussion on Brexit is the speed at which ideas gain traction, and subsequently lose traction only to be superseded by another idea. It gives some clue as to the desperation and lack of clear progression for the politicians and is, of course, the inevitable consequence of such a bad initial notion.

What is worrying is that the debate amongst large tracts of the public doesnt seem to have moved on since the referendum and is still based around negative emotion and wishful thinking.

It still amazes me that in a political system where we employ informed professional politicians to make difficult decisions on our behalf that we turned over such a crucial decision to the plebiscite.

Context.

I am talking about political coverage of Brexit on the BBC, and specifically QT. Within the context of that programme and of that discussion, Farage is on the extremity of the political spectrum. Admittedly they once had Griffin as a panellists, but only once. Farage has appeared 32 times. That is unmatched by anybody this century other than Ken Clarke. Not bad for somebody who never managed to become an MP, despite trying SEVEN times and failing whilst representing a party that only ever managed 2 Mps.

Re:

macbindle said:
Context.

I am talking about political coverage of Brexit on the BBC, and specifically QT. Within the context of that programme and of that discussion, Farage is on the extremity of the political spectrum. Admittedly they once had Griffin as a panellists, but only once. Farage has appeared 32 times. That is unmatched by anybody this century other than Ken Clarke. Not bad for somebody who never managed to become an MP, despite trying SEVEN times and failing whilst representing a party that only ever managed 2 Mps.

Well I agree with you that Farage is on QT way too much.

Though I don't see why that would make him extreme. Maybe i missed something but I am not aware of any positions that Farage holds that aren't held by a large percentage of the population or that are extremist at all.

Also they only had 2 mps but thats because of fptp, their 2015 number of 12 % is more important as it scared the Tories enough to bring about the referendum. As we are still in the EU, i don't think their 27% figure (win) in the last EU election should be ignored either.

I'm fine with FPTP as a system, but I do feel like a lot of the people that were selectively complaining about UKIP getting so much QT appearances with little mp's are the same ones who in another context don't like FPTP at all - Lib Dems were leading the charge against it.

Does that mean Farage should be on the bbc all the time? No, but that's the bbc's fault.
I think he's invited a lot because the bbc because he is a bit gaffe prone and an easy bad guy. Also he doesn't have much else to do. He's definately not the most intelligent guy in my opinion either.

If the bbc was actually trying to give a voice to his side of the political spectrum, they could do better than revert to him.

And in any case, number of QT appearances, isn't that big a deal. Don't see how Farage can be an extremist.

Point of order....popularity does not preclude extremism. Sorry for the Godwin, but we all know how Hitler came to be Chancellor...the Nazis were the largest elected party in the Reichstag in 1932. Not extremist then?

(sorry....kids pantomime ending, will answer rest later)

Re:

King Boonen said:

For the crime of carrying out an inquiry, publishing a report, then doing far more in its proposed Code of Conduct than anything any British political party had ever done before, Labour was denounced as “institutionally antisemitic”. The Jewish Chronicle (JC), Jewish News and Jewish Telegraph went even further: describing a lifelong campaigner against all forms of racism, who tends to his allotment and makes his own jam during his spare time, as an “existential threat to Jewish life”. This was madness parading as reason.

This past Summer it was odd the Corbyn bashing all the time. No hard questions about Brexit or the economy - just "you're an anti-semite!" The media not doing their job again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS