• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brits don't dope?

Page 173 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Winterfold said:
rick james said:
By birth he is Kenyan as he was born there

That's what domicile means.
Seriously? Someone call the Oxford English people...

It's like Alice in Wonderland round here. Words mean what people choose them to mean.

I am a US national by domicile, as my mother was in the US when I was born.

Perhaps I should have put 'what domicile means in this context' or 'domicile of origin' in my post. You clearly understand this principle as you demonstrate it to Sam in a subsequent post.

Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
samhocking said:
Obviously if where you were born gave you citizenship, people would be flying all over the World to give birth.
Some countries that use the jus soli principle:

* Argentina
* Brazil
* Canada
* Mexico
* Pakistan
* United States
* Venezuela

Obvs, visiting these countries is difficult as their airports are crammed to over-flowing with people flying all over the World to give birth...

Still, when in a hole, keep digging....

Yes. The USA has hundreds of "homes" where foreigners, mostly Chinese women come to give birth.

My point was connecting my birth in Italy to Froome's birth in Kenya. Neither affected my British Passport and being British because my British Nationality is decided by having British parents and grandparents, which are effectively identical to Froome's other than Froome's grandparents emigrated.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Yet again ADA's fail sport miseraly and it ispolice authorities who end up doing the anti-doping agencies jobs.

So when will British Police bust UK doping because UKAD are never going to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re:

ebandit said:
Benotti69 said:
Yet again ADA's fail sport miseraly and it ispolice authorities who end up doing the anti-doping agencies jobs.

So when will British Police bust UK doping because UKAD are never going to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

before getting so dramatic............tell us just what british doping will be busted for.............

oh wait ............da dawg will be pulled in for excess puffs..............

yep they're the best but they're the cleanest too. Doesn't make sense of course but we're not allowed to assume anything or use any common sense because they never get caught. Lots of suspicious behaviour but no hard evidence. Too bad the British anti doping and law enforcement isn't as stern as they are in Austria.

Re:

Benotti69 said:

Why would the Police get involved?

Even if Sky were caught with needles hanging out of their arms it wouldn't constitute a criminal offence.

If you are going to opine on doping, there is little hope if you cant even get the basics right....let alone any of the technical and nuanced issues.

Yawn.

They dope as much or as little as everybody else, because they are people...just like everybody else. This has been done to death for what seems like an eternity.

If you want to try your hand at identity baiting at least try and find a novel way of doing it that isnt so boring and predictable.

Reactions: pastronef
Yawn.

They dope as much or as little as everybody else, because they are people...just like everybody else. This has been done to death for what seems like an eternity.

If you want to try your hand at identity baiting at least try and find a novel way of doing it that isnt so boring and predictable.
Revisit clinic threads early after Wigans' and Froome's transformations and you'll find plenty of quotes from 2012 bandwagon fans telling us otherwise - that the British are as pure as the driven snow - whence this thread.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Revisit clinic threads early after Wigans' and Froome's transformations and you'll find plenty of quotes from 2012 bandwagon fans telling us otherwise - that the British are as pure as the driven snow - whence this thread.

There is a difference between believing Wiggins or Froome are clean, and believing Wiggins or Froome are clean because they are British.

You will find plenty of the former, which frankly is normal, but I'm very sceptical that you will find many of the latter.

It isnt a sentiment I have heard expressed for decades. British exceptionalism exists, but not so much in the realm of pro cycling, which has a poor reputation in this country.

There is a difference between believing Wiggins or Froome are clean, and believing Wiggins or Froome are clean because they are British.

You will find plenty of the former, which frankly is normal, but I'm very sceptical that you will find many of the latter.

It isnt a sentiment I have heard expressed for decades. British exceptionalism exists, but not so much in the realm of pro cycling, which has a poor reputation in this country.
There were a fair few here for a while - eg: Oldcrank, EnacheV, Sam Hocking were a few more prominent ones, but the more rabid ones were booted fairly early. One even started a thread called "This has to stop" in a teary "leave Britney alone" vein in support of Wigans. It got pretty funny while it lasted.

It is to be expected that supporters support, especially given the excitement of a British Tour winner in a sport that had been almost completely overlooked in the UK. But are you sure that their certainty of Wiggans's propriety was based on his nationality?

Seriously, I have not heard people express this. *In my club, for example, there were many people who dismissed doping insinuations, but purely on the basis of no evidence which they considered to be concrete (ie. a pozzy test or a police bust) I've never heard people claim that British riders are clean because the British dont or wouldnt cheat.

*...and yes, you and I might think differently to them about the evidence but that isnt the point.

Nope, nationalism. The shade they threw at anyone and everyone else at the slightest hint of foul play was laughable.

Having said that, there were also a fair share of Sky fans who understood the history cycling has right from the start as well as fans who have accepted the reality over time.

But long story short, yes, this forum has seen its share of "STFU everyone, they'd never ever dope, they're British".

Reactions: veganrob
I think you're confusing defending a rider alleged to be guilty of something when there isn't evidence to charge him with or has been cleared of an offence and blindly defending a rider caught doping simply because they're of the same nationality. Clearly some do blindly defend on nationality, but I would never defend e.g. JTL for EPO based on Nationality when the evidence is clearly illegal doping and cheating the rules.

On the other hand this forum has been going after Froome for nearly a decade. And all you have to support you opinion after posting daily about it is an asthma inhaler. Such avenues as faked crashed to hide a silent ban (in which has been allowed to ride) and other crackpot theories have been qiven credence. But according to you anyone who disagrees with this unsubstantiated opinion must be some sort of nationalists.

Maybe the reason for the most defences being of British riders is because 90% of the accusations are about them. And those accusations are a nationalism of it's own kind. Targeting one particular nation.

On the other hand this forum has been going after Froome for nearly a decade. And all you have to support you opinion after posting daily about it is an asthma inhaler. Such avenues as faked crashed to hide a silent ban (in which has been allowed to ride) and other crackpot theories have been qiven credence. But according to you anyone who disagrees with this unsubstantiated opinion must be some sort of nationalists.

Maybe the reason for the most defences being of British riders is because 90% of the accusations are about them. And those accusations are a nationalism of it's own kind. Targeting one particular nation.
Readily prepared to admit that the "faked crash" conspiracy was exactly that - a ludicrous conspiracy.

90% of the accusations though? No. Threads were drawn out ad nauseum due to excessive protestations and the need to repeat justification for concern again and again (and again)

I take it the accusations were refuted simply on the basis that the riders were British, and therefore doping was impossible?

If there was any other reason given, such as lack of evidence or that the putative infringement did not contravene rules, then the assertion that British people claim a higher moral standing is wrong.

As you say, nationalism may be at play here, but perhaps not in the way you suggest ;)

TRENDING THREADS